my Harley dyna motor build.... GO FAST!!!!

JRK5892

Over 1,000 Posts
first off, HUGE thanks to Chad for helping me with my build, with the 2 of us we got the whole motor out and the cases split in a afternoon! was awesome!!!
I am doing the full motor, welding and true the crank, pistons, bore, cams, heads, adj pushrods, timkin bearing, the whole shabang... doing a 95, he is doing a 107 (as you can see his motor is out as well in the back round of the pics) I am stoked as hell to get this sucker done, dyno'd and ripping!
but here are some pics of how we spent our saturday! shooting for 100 Hp and 100 ft lbs
will be a great summer!

tanks off
142tu9k.jpg

rockers off and outer primary
21d4cib.jpg

25uhdza.jpg

removal of the heads
208a3q1.jpg

sv5jt5.jpg

jugs and primary removed
rvk20l.jpg

cams out!
2utj21v.jpg

motors out!
2uz6u87.jpg

axcv9w.jpg

so the bike can be moved around we fabbed up a support plate
2426f54.jpg

34yws3r.jpg

Next up cracked the cases
157hs3o.jpg

23hpymv.jpg

and here they sit waiting for their hearts to go back in
e16jbd.jpg

Awesome!

curious...what kind of coating is on the motor? is that a factory coating or did you do that yourself? I'm looking for a textured black engine coating.

that is a factory coating, but we have the match for that and the wrinkle in the shop, i am actually recoating some of the parts cause the factory did a crap job! ha ha ha

i guess a bit of details on the build helps!

i am doing a 95 kit, it will have andrews 37 cams, flat top pistons, (the jugs i got from a buddy but they are bored over already to a 95 and have been re honed), i will use screaming eagle adjustable pushrods, the heads will be ported 1.9 int 1.625 ex with compression releases and brass valve guides (prob more as well), the crank only needs to be welded as we checked the run out and it was spot on, so it will not need to be trued, this will handle the added power, i am also doing a Timken bearing in the bottom end to handle the extra meat, SE non roller 1.725 rockers will bring my lift to .541 with the 37 cams.
I have already installed an anderson power pulley, a baker inner primary bearing, and a barnett race clutch, i have a stage 1 ac (k/N), and a screaming eagle race tuner... the trans with the IPB and the power pulley will be fine and give me one hell of a off the line jump!

my buddy whose silver and black glide you see in the back round is going from this same 95 build to a 107 with a 4.125" bore x 4" stroke, it is going to be a beast!

to keep my tire behind me i am upgrading to custom made poly engine mounts as well as a true track motor stabilizer. she will rip!

i am waiting on the crank and bearing to be done and the heads, the guy that is doing them is the best in the biz so he is a bit slammed, looking at around 1 - 2 weeks before i can get it back together and dyno tune it all.

tappered SE adjustable push rods came in today. made my tuner appointment... ordered the last of the gaskets... now the waiting game! putting together my buddies 107 build this sunday.... should be a screamer!!!!

figured what the hell, may as well go all in on the build right... so stripped it all down and went to work! Thanks to Chad he gave me the great idea of mixing my tins paint match, black cherry, and the gloss black.

the whole motor and all the cases are getting powdered. (trans cover, inner primary, primary, rocker boxes both of them, master cyl, and clutch perch) but that is more to come!

here are some pics

so stripped it all down
19bfoy.jpg

blasted it all and coated the first round of parts...
nqbnl4.jpg

then put on the 120 front and the 170 rear brand new Metzlers!
1zpnl7p.jpg

iddc1y.jpg

all of it together
118lu6r.jpg

then went into the second round of powder
aoxuh0.jpg

rebuilt my front forks and new fork boots all fresh powder (ran 15w wiht the progressive spring kit)
2lazhuh.jpg

front end on
v6tfg8.jpg

picture of the monster 120 front tire
154acch.jpg

next i worked on the new tail light. Marked out the holes
2ep35s5.jpg

all drilled out
fjqcud.jpg

mocked up for how it will sit
2rp7dch.jpg

pulled apart the tail light for powder work and while i had it out, drilled 2 holes in the base board to add turn signals into the brake light
35lrimv.jpg

MORE TO COME!!!!

Holy shit Joe, and you have a full time job that isn't building bikes. Wish i could say WTF, lets tear the bike to the frame and powder/mod/improve the whole shebang! Nice work, I really hope I get to go to Troys in July so I can see this up close.

Keep it up.

Maritime

Well, fri is the big day to get the heart back on the beast... so i took late last night to finish up the new brake/tail/turn

i wired in small LEDS into this to act as turn sigs... came out awesome...took forever, but looks clean as hell... and best off, can not buy this sucker off the shelve!

dvniog.jpg

53vcp5.jpg

zjt9tw.jpg

Nice joe. It would be cool to see a vid of it flashing once you get it back on the bike. Then of the brak stand and smoke of the new more powerful engine ;D After proper break in of course.

crap pic i know... but this is the last of 5 loads! Tomorrow is assembly... new oil pressure sensor is on the way and stearing damper as well!
mm1j.jpg

well after 2 18 hour days... Chad and i where able to get the motor back in there! bike is starting to look like a bike again! my camera died so i will post pics of the assembly process later, but here are the ones that i was able to get snapped off the SD card.
Got the tail light done, and have to say I LOVE IT!!! all the work that it took to make this thing work and look right was well worth it! looks awesome and is super bright! the built in turn sigs will be wired in later after i get it back from the tuner. but the heads look awesome! compresson releases are great, the hogged out exhaust is going to let this sucker get some air out!!! very stoked! and as i am sure yo can see. lots and lots of new powder work was done, i was in the powder shop till kingdom come to get this sucker ready for re assembly... Tonight the tank goes back on, the pipes go back on, and we can fire her up! then off to the tuner Tues!!!!

here are some pics
tail light
29dybrl.jpg

33c6xcz.jpg

123l3sj.jpg

brake light
2dc7qxy.jpg

primary side
jzec6p.jpg

cam side
9huvqx.jpg

35db03c.jpg

23s6ni0.jpg

also we had a show on Sat morming... SUCKED wiht how cold it was!!! but we got some awesome response and a ton of our customers showed up to support us... very cool
2wrqo2o.jpg

she is back together... not bad... under 6 weeks for a ground up harley build... sucks because 5 weeks the bike was just sitting therre waiting on the motor work to be done... but now she is done! It is mind blowing how much faster a build goes when you have 2 people twisting wreches on it, thank you so much Chad!

sorry about the crap pics but it was late!

mr5sll.jpg

w83qiu.jpg

5wh7w0.jpg

even hooked back up some of the LEDS
evc0zn.jpg

28b4is9.jpg

2w30pz6.jpg

Still have some odds and ends to tie up, front fender, some more LEDs need wired, fog light, new bars, HID headlight install, front stearing damper install.. yadda yadda yadda... but all that can wait till she comes back from the tuner! SUPER stoked up for this one

I'm loving the black. That was a lot of work. Probably my favorite part are the fins on the motor and the tail light work. She looks insane. I'd love to see some hand painted lettering on the fender though.
Inspiring work bud

sad part is... i am only going to use that fender for a very short time... i custom made a new fender, took 2 st bob fenders welded them together, so i have a flush rear fender, that is 4.5 inches longer than stock. it is getting powdered to match the tins, then my buddy in KC is doing a pin up girl of my wife laying on her back wiht her legs going up the fender, in the back round of her there will be 2 big dice, those are getting glassed to become my tail lights/turn sigs, will all be flush and part of the paint work. but that is a while down the road, end of summer likely. here is a shot of the fender though
it just has primer on it to keep from rusting before we coat it
c15xw.jpg

how about some shots of the motor assembly

block was sealed for me and the new bearing installed. so we tossed the pistons in and the jugs on
ive7b6.jpg

in the bike
6ym7fm.jpg

heads on
4sgn6e.jpg

lower rockers on
e7e6n9.jpg

2l90eao.jpg

Back
Top Bottom