www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: 1972 Yamaha DS7  (Read 26048 times)

Offline bobjohnson

Re: My 1972 Yamaha DS7 Cafe Racer
« Reply #10 on: Apr 12, 2010, 02:37:19 »
Man i definately love the old yamaha 2 strokes. I am so gonna have to pick one up some day. That bike is all kinds of good lookin.

Offline Redbird

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Dolor est Magister Optimus
Re: My 1972 Yamaha DS7 Cafe Racer
« Reply #11 on: Apr 26, 2016, 19:32:40 »
I'm gonna revive the dead thread ;)
I rode the the ol' girl for about 4 worry free years, with only a few upgrades/mods since this was last updated.
Sadly, about two years ago, she decided to give up 1st gear. Even more sadly, this was right about when I was finishing up the CB750, so she's been sitting ever since. She's been pouting, weeping, and giving me the stink eye the whole time. Finally though, she's gonna see some love again here soon :)
I picked up an R5C motor from Brad a while back (even before she crapped the trans) with the intention of swapping out the 250.

It's a very low mileage motor, but it sat up for a while. New seals were in order, and that got done last week.

Also cleaned/rebuilt the carbs.

And did some polishing on the cover accents.

I know, I accidently went a little savage on the "Yamaha" lettering. But I plan to address that issue later with something pretty cool ;)

I'm currently waiting on a bolt kit. partly to dress it up some, but mostly because it's missing a few.
I'm hoping to get the bullet installed this weekend. Stay tuned for more updates ;)
When you are Dead, you don't know that you are Dead. It is difficult only for Others.

It is the same when you are Stupid.

Offline Redbird

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: 1972 Yamaha DS7
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 17:21:23 »
Bolt kit came in...

Nice kit. Universal for the RD250/350/400. All individually packaged and labeled. I had to stop by Fastenal for a few of the ones I needed that are specific to the DS7/R5's.
All buttoned up and ready for the swap...

When you are Dead, you don't know that you are Dead. It is difficult only for Others.

Offline Shoeman

• My old RD tuning pages from the 90's
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 19:01:33 »
Great thread and great work.  I'm going to follow this one.  You'll like the added power of that 350 motor. 
I like cilp-ons, clubman's and superbike bars depending on the bike.  And rear-sets.

Offline Spondon83

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 20:20:42 »
I am thrilled to read your post...I have the exact bike in probably the exact same condition as yours was in when I got it.  I am also getting ready to dig into her. Mine has a nice dent the tank and front fender (which need replacing) but the rest is quite stock..which is kind of the way I may keep her.

I am having trouble finding carb rebuild kits, pistons, seals, etc. and stock bits.  Keep up the thread!

Cheers,
Russ

Offline Erskine

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 03:47:06 »
Lovely, like a proper old school production racer.
When the cafe seat was in white it looked way out of proportion but colour matched it looks just right.

Online JustinLonghorn

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • No Purple Hearts, No Blue Ribbons
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 10:57:15 »
Excellent.
I'm going to eat your brains and gain your knowledge.

Into The Sunset, CB750 build

TT500 the Animal

Offline Redbird

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 18:03:16 »
...You'll like the added power of that 350 motor. 
Yea, the R5 swap will bump the HP about 50%, and the Torque about 30% over the DS7.
Should be interesting :P

...I am having trouble finding carb rebuild kits, pistons, seals, etc. and stock bits.
Check with both Economy Cycle and HVC Cycle. They specialize in repro and aftermarket parts for the 2smokers.
And if you have any questions, just holler ;)

Erskine and Joostan, Thanks for the kudos as well ;)

Offline clem

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • static fluff
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 23:07:01 »
I had that same bolt kit for my bike and I now have a heli coil in one of the side cover bolts and need to add another. I used never seize and went easy on it but that 43 year old metal isn't fond of stainless steel. Just be careful  with them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using DO THE TON mobile app

"After every war there are soldiers who refuse to surrender. To this day there are still thousands who cling to their 30+ year old motorcycles, thinking that the war is still on, refusing to concede that the four-strokes have won"

1972 DS7 http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=45886.msg505995#msg505995
1983 CB550sc bobber http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=30599.30

Offline Redbird

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 23:54:44 »
Will do Cory. Thanks for the heads up ;)