www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Nighthawk CB450 (New Age Bobber/Shortchop)  (Read 25424 times)

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
Re: Nighthawk CB450 (New Age Bobber/Shortchop)
« Reply #10 on: Apr 19, 2010, 09:25:00 »
well i have decided to make the seat hinged and ditch the airbox.

i might convert her to a hardtail this upcoming winter and do not want to recreate a seat.

also going to put a lollipop style baffle in the straight pipes but i am concerned if this bike is gonna be overly loud.  its only a 450 so i dont think itll be a problem but i dont like being a pain in the ass.

even though i dont think itll be a problem since the pops rides a heritage with vance and hines pipes and shes pretty loud (but its a good sound and doesn't rattle the neighborhood)

id rather not rejet till the winter so im hoping that the pods will be fine till then that way i can rejet when i put the pipes on as well (pipes will wait till the winter season when i stripe her down and paint her)

One of the guys on here put a briggs and Stratton lawn mower muffler inside his pipes to queit them down.  I have the same motor with straight pipes ending in emgo shorties.  It is not too loud but still louder than I want for driving to work early in the AM etc.  so I am going to pick up 2 of the mufflers and hide them in the pipes.  You might want to try just the little mufflers if you are doing no visible exhaust.  Ditching the huge ass crossover lightens the bike and wakes it up quite nicely. 

Chop looks good.

Cheers,

Maritime
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline mrkil

« Reply #11 on: Apr 22, 2010, 00:34:50 »
thats sweet te frame comes pre-konged for you  ;D

i would do a solid mount seat and maybe a hoop around the back of the seat to tie the shock mounts together
or mount a fender between the shock mounts

kind of like this Bratstyle bike

Offline CrescentSon

« Reply #12 on: Apr 22, 2010, 10:34:15 »
I'd add a little plate to the rear to up-sweep it a little and fiberglass a pan. You can always throw some sort of foam around the airbox to create a little space before laying glass.

"I hated hipsters before it was cool." -Sonreier

"Lifes a bitch when your trying to sell gold bars to beggars" -VonYinzer

"To say that ALL cafe racers are the same degree of ho hum is like saying that finger banging a fisher price piano is on par with listening to Beethoven." -Kanticoy

Offline Hot Rod Troy

• Facebook
« Reply #13 on: Apr 22, 2010, 11:38:14 »
I'd add a little plate to the rear to up-sweep it a little and fiberglass a pan. You can always throw some sort of foam around the airbox to create a little space before laying glass.

This would look killer!
'75 CB 360 w/.075 oversized pistons

Given the moral maze inhabited by managers, we can understand why those higher in the hierarchy must absent themselves from the details of the production process: such abstraction facilitates non accountability. - Mathew Crawford

Offline zlittell

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 22:54:43 »
haven't replied in a while with the school semester ending.  I cleaned the carbs out completely and now she runs amazing.  So now im just finishing the little things.  I really like that seat idea you showed i might do something with the extra plate in the back.

one question i do have is about the front shocks:
they wont hold air for long and oil is leaking out the tops so i figured id pull them apart and rebuild them.  This has been the hardest part of bringing this bike back to life so far.  Does anyone have expierance with rebuilding these shocks.  How did you get the locktited bolt out of the bottom do i really need to remove the bolt or can I pull the C clip out of the top and just replace the oil seal.

-zack-

Offline Aetsh

• Youngstown Soul
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 21:23:25 »
haven't replied in a while with the school semester ending.  I cleaned the carbs out completely and now she runs amazing.  So now im just finishing the little things.  I really like that seat idea you showed i might do something with the extra plate in the back.

one question i do have is about the front shocks:
they wont hold air for long and oil is leaking out the tops so i figured id pull them apart and rebuild them.  This has been the hardest part of bringing this bike back to life so far.  Does anyone have expierance with rebuilding these shocks.  How did you get the locktited bolt out of the bottom do i really need to remove the bolt or can I pull the C clip out of the top and just replace the oil seal.

-zack-

Great looking bike man! Mine is nearly the same (Cm400) so I'm loving your progress!

I'm having the same problem with my forks, I can air them up, but it doesn't last long, and they tend to "sag" about an inch..I'm really not leaking oil tho  ???

Offline mrkil

« Reply #16 on: Jul 14, 2010, 11:43:28 »
diggin this back up.

any progress since the spring?
i was lookin forward to this one

Offline Fix

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • With a shirt like this, who needs pants?
    • Ugly bike
« Reply #17 on: Jul 14, 2010, 16:49:09 »
I kept the swingarm, so I solid mounted to the frame.  This is a harley seat, I believe it's off a dyna.  My bikes a little similar to what you're doing, so I thought it might help.

'78 Yamaha XS11

Offline JRK5892

• The Powder Pro
« Reply #18 on: Jul 20, 2010, 20:19:31 »
def a dyna st bob seat!
Joe
"your life is an occasion, Stand up to it"
www.thepowderpro.com

recent builds: Hd street bob, TX cafe, KZ bratt, Goldwing tour, bratt wing, st fighter, road king, vriago bobber, chop, FXD, 1200 sporty, 1200xl sporty, GSXR, Royal enfield.. and more

Offline boisdarc

« Reply #19 on: Jul 20, 2010, 23:59:45 »
I dig it - are you putting shorter shocks on it?
if I can I only buy rearden steel and danconia copper.