Slipstream Cycle

www.moto-madness.com

www.caferacerxxx.com

www.oldschoolspeed.com

www.rustrev.com

www.bullitcustomcycles.com

DWMS Racing

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: Nighthawk CB450 (New Age Bobber/Shortchop)  (Read 16996 times)

Offline zlittell

Re: Nighthawk CB450 (New Age Bobber/Shortchop)
« Reply #30 on: Aug 28, 2012, 14:44:22 »
Is your shop in chicago?  I may have to contact you to talk about powder coating when its time :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Offline JRK5892

• The Powder Pro
« Reply #31 on: Aug 28, 2012, 14:47:15 »
we are in woodstock IL... people ship to us from all over the country
Joe
"your life is an occasion, Stand up to it"
www.thepowderpro.com

recent builds: Hd street bob, TX cafe, KZ bratt, Goldwing tour, bratt wing, st fighter, road king, vriago bobber, chop, FXD, 1200 sporty, 1200xl sporty, GSXR, Royal enfield.. and more

Offline zlittell

« Reply #32 on: Aug 28, 2012, 14:52:38 »
Hmmm i may have to calculate shipping versus gas.  Im in northwest indiana

Offline zlittell

« Reply #33 on: Aug 31, 2012, 00:40:12 »
any body have any opinions on carb kits?  Keyster?

another option is a set from usa-motorcycles-inc on ebay.  Theirs seems really complete.  Maybe its because the keysters only show the cardboard box in their pictures are they just as full?

Offline zlittell

« Reply #34 on: Aug 31, 2012, 13:21:36 »
Hmmm wondering if the keyster kit will fit I emailed them about it.  It says 83-86 it looks exactly the same the only difference i see in the labeled parts is their main jet is a #120 mine is a #115.

The part number is KH-1232N

Offline zlittell

« Reply #35 on: Sep 07, 2012, 07:33:13 »
Well I have tons of stuff in the mail.  Lots to do this next couple weeks!  After this the engine should be ready waiting on a stand and then its onto the frame starting at the front and working back.

One question though, Should I get a Crankcase Breather that is push on and attach it right on the valve cover or one that fits in and then use hose between the two?  It just seems like there wouldn't be enough room to attach it right there, but I have never even seen one in real life so I have no clue how much "stem" is there on the filter.

Pods are my last carb thing to order.  Kinda waiting to find some localish beer cans to measure and buy pods that fit them.

Offline zlittell

« Reply #36 on: Sep 08, 2012, 22:07:47 »
hmmm Really want the UNI dual layer filters.  They only sell 2" or 2.25".  My carbs are 54mm (2.125in).  Do you think I can stretch the rubber on the 2inches this much.  Or can I tighten them down from 2.25 without worrying about leaks.  What should I do?

Offline zlittell

« Reply #37 on: Sep 28, 2012, 21:37:36 »
well I have been pretty busy, but I have been trying to make time for the bike.  I have bought a lot of stuff and starting to degrease the engine and get it ready for paint.  Holy cow is it hard to degrease with all these fins and hard to reach places.
Also ultrasonically cleaned and soda blasted the carbs.  Getting ready for those.  Worked on the straight pipes, they'll be ready for paint and wrapping soon enough.  Set valve clearances.  Made a lists of things to do to get this engine running.

heres some pics:

carbs

lots of parts :)

more stuff

Carb Tops :)

soda blaster

aftermath lol

stripped to nothing :)

Offline JordanCFH

« Reply #38 on: Sep 29, 2012, 20:37:10 »
LOL nice dude, what year is that Nighthawk? mines an 82 that I'm currently working on bobbin. Gonna love seeing this project unfold!

As for the seat with the springs and hinge, I'm doing the same. It's  a great idea, since i took out the air box in mine and I'm working on making a small "toolbox" that sits in where the air box use to be ( "toolbox" as in it could carry a few tall cans if need be lolz.) I'd say get rid of that air box for a cleaner look or sleeker  since thats what your looking for, and move the electrical/battery inside or make a "stash" box >=D.
« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2012, 20:45:17 by JordanCFH »

Offline zlittell

« Reply #39 on: Sep 29, 2012, 21:33:19 »
its an 82 as well :)  but yeah I bought pods and I am just gonna spend the time changing all the jets and shimming needles to get it to run right.  I am hard mounting the seat now and it will hump back over the fender for the girlfriend :(  haha but it just means I will be able to ride more.  We have even been in the talks of rebuilding a vintage single cylinder small displacement bike for her.  Love the old Harley 125cc.  I can't wait to finish this thing up.  once I get this damn engine stuff done it should be much smoother sailing from there :)

Offline JordanCFH

« Reply #40 on: Sep 29, 2012, 23:24:51 »
Ah nice, i couldn't tell by the pics of it being semi-dismantled what year it was. Sucks bout the engine, i  only had one carb stuck wide open which i ended up finding there was some rough edges in the left carb causing the needle to stick.  I will prob have to do some adjusting / carb kits once i make the exhaust and get the it baff'd ( can't straight pipe  :'( .)

I wasn't gonna put a bitch seat on personally, but as we know the motor on a bike is just a giant vibrator for the ladies lolz ;D

Offline zlittell

« Reply #41 on: Oct 06, 2012, 21:51:17 »
need to find new floats... these things are way off and it says you cant adjust these plastics ones :(  anybody know where to get some new ones or brass ones?

Offline zlittell

« Reply #42 on: Oct 08, 2012, 14:18:09 »
Damn I cant find floats anywhere i am afraid to get any on ebay since they are used and could easily be in the same boat as mine.  I did see the 400m floats are black with the metal inserts they look similar.  Hopefully someone has had this problem and can chime in on how they fixed it

Offline JordanCFH

« Reply #43 on: Oct 08, 2012, 14:33:49 »
I will take a look around when i go and get some new throttle cables, see if i can order them from the cycle place i go to in town. If i find replacement floats for our year of bike i will let ya know, maybe useful to have a part number and i'm sure u could find a dealer in the states.

« Reply #44 on: Sep 24, 2013, 04:39:39 »
I love the progress on your 82 hawk. Im looking into doing a bobber build on my 82 hawk as well. Got a question for you. how did you go about mounting the rear fender where you cut right above the suspension? Also where did you find the fender and did it fit pretty effortlessly in width?