Yamaha 2 stroke

perattzi

Been Around the Block
Well, since abandoning and selling my Kz project...I've been working on my RD350.
When I got it:
myrd.jpg

So far:

bling.jpg

IMG_0027-1.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

looks sick! cant wait to see more... the rd350 is my next fav bike after the hondas...

love the sidecovers.

Thanks guys! I started on the front end...and am working my way to the back of the bike it seems. So far I have rebuild the caliper with new seals and epoxy paint, a braided stainless line and banjo brake light switch to eliminate all the clutter of the oem setup...and I was going to rebuild the master cylinder, but the kit cost like $90! So, I picked up a brand new 13mm Brembo master, for not a whole lot more than the rebuild kit. It is a replacement for the old single disc Ducati's. 13mm piston improves the ratio, and should make the brake less of an off/on kind of affair. Polished the lower fork, switched 15w fork oil, seals are good. The tires are brand new, but need to go ASAP, for something more modern. I also am repainting or polishing just about everything as I go. Rebuilt the petcock and carbs, replacing all fuel and oil lines. Plans for the near future are to build a cafe seat, electronic igi, k&n intake, modify oil tank and battery box to allow for a cafe seat, and some expansion chambers...plus all the jetting and tuning that goes along with that.

awesome! I used to have one just like it in High School, except way more crappy (dont forget about the sweet sissy bar) Thats the bike that got me into Cafe's in the first place but got rid of it before I had the chance to convert it due to title issues. I've only seen a few RD350 cafes floating around on the interweb but they always look great.

2004.jpg

Sweet man! I thought it'd be fun to have a 2 stroke to buzz around town in. Cant wait to see how your build turns out!

Borrowed Chrisf's approach for his 400's oil tank...cuz I'm running the pump instead of premix. The original filler neck(along with the battery) sticks way up above the frame, making a low frame hugging cafe tail impossible. So, I am moving the filler over to the outside. Here is my tank and steel bung with aluminum cap.

IMG_0055.jpg

Picked a spot, cut a hole.

IMG_0057.jpg

Fits...taking it to my welder this weekend...looks killer IMO. Spent lots of time getting all the little metal slivers out. There is a mesh filter inside the tank, but I may look into some kind of inline filter as well.

IMG_0058.jpg

On the Motorcycle Classics website, it shows this bike as having the same performence as the CB350. I can't see how the same size two-smoke wouldn't be much faster. What am I missing? How fast are these?

Just thought of a question I never got answered years ago - do you (or anyone else for that matter) know what the hell "Torque Induction" means? ALways stumped me, me and my buddies just thought it was some sort of wierd marketing ploy.

2011.jpg

Yeah I'm pretty sure thats what it is just a marketing ploy. Seeing as how the vents in the side panels are just fake and all. I know the airbox on those things are strange. They are like chambered. Sweet bike. My dad has one just like it. He got with 7000 miles on it. Hes kept it pretty stock. I think hes put the banshee boost bottle on it and changed the reeds. He really likes it. Hes constantly sorting out his jetting though. Someday it will be mine. That will be a sad day as that will mean the old mans kicked the bucket. But at least I get a cool bike. ;)

I'm pretty sure it is referring to the reed valves. The R5 didn't use reeds...so I imagine they were just hyping that up.

Yep. The idea is that the pressure drops a given amount, and then a fresh charge of fuel/air mix comes blasting through the reeds to fill the zone of negative pressure. As the piston descends and forces the charge up into the combustion chanber, the reeds snap shut and prevent any of the charge from going back the way it came. Reeds are a very easy and cheap way of controlling the induction in a two-stroke engine.

BTW, any plans for some hot-ticket items like carbon composite reeds or tuned expansion chambers?

Cheers - boingk

I plan to stick a K&N filter on using the original y-boot. As for pipes, I have been looking on ebay daily for some used expansion chambers, a set shows up once every week or two...but mostly some rusty dented ol' gals. There are not a lot of options for a new set that wont set a guy back $700-1000! D&G makes a set for less than $300 but they lack a real stinger pipe and can...though they surely improve, I'm just not sure what they do for the powerband. I would like to lower and broaden it a bit. The new ones available stateside, are all hydroformed, which i have read isn't as exact as a welded up pair. HVC sells a welded section set but they cost $999.99...I would love to have a set but just not feasible. I think there are more options in Britain, but that exchange rate isn't good for us.

4eyes said:
On the Motorcycle Classics website, it shows this bike as having the same performence as the CB350. I can't see how the same size two-smoke wouldn't be much faster. What am I missing? How fast are these?

Haha! There's no way in hell that is true...I owned a 72 CB350. An RD is tiny, weighing just over 300lbs stock. When the powerband hits it's like a rocket. I think on par with a CB500 or something would be more realistic. A tuned RD350 could easily outperform a 750. However, you'll spend some dough getting there, and it won't be as reliable or easy to ride/own that's for sure. An RD isn't exactly fast, but it is pretty f'ing quick.

Keep an eye on the classifieds over at www.2strokeworld.com and www.usa2strokers.com
350 Chambers pop up in them on a regular basis. Alot of times good deals can be had. I found the near perfect DG's on my DS7 for $100.

I'm just not sure what they do for the powerband. I would like to lower and broaden it a bit.

You could do that, but you'd still need custom pipes, and I'm not sure that you'd find them. The aftermarket scene generally goes in the opposite direction - bigger top end, often at the expense of your lower end. This isn't always the case though, and you should be able to find a set of pipes that will improve topend and mid-range without being too detrimental to your lower end.

I've put a link up for basic expansion pipe design in the 'Smoking Lounge' thread I created for two-strokes. You could design your own, but the best bet would be aftermarket. The D&G ones you mention only need cans and a stinger? Easy, get somone to MIG weld some tubes on the rear that are the same length as the end cone from where it starts tapering down to where it finishes. It can be longer than that but the crucial thing is diameter - have a look at other aftermarket ones with a caliper to find out what size their end pipe is.

If you really want the torque powerhouse of the Yamaha 2T range, try looking for an RD400 engine. Same as the 350. . . except that its stroked out so its got more torque everywhere!

Cheers - boingk

Back
Top Bottom