Obtaining a title in NC....my experience is your gain!

amturbev

As many of us know, the DMV in North Carolina is less than pleasant, as is titling and registering a bike for which you do not have the title. I'm creating this thread to be a help both for anyone who reads and for myself, just so there is some more info out there about getting that precious title in your hand.

There are 2 options to getting a title in NC:
1. Getting the registered 'owner' to sign the title over to you
2. An indemnity bond

Last summer I bought a '74 CB550 from a guy without a title, and now that I want to get it on the road, I must face the inevitable. First, a couple words of advice:

1. If at all possible, get a bike with a title (easier said than done)
2. before buying the bike, call the DMV and have them check the VIN number. This will tell you if the bike is in their system at all, i.e., has it been registered in NC. It should also tell you if its been stolen. Wish I would have done this beforehand, just for the peace of mind.

Today I spoke with a surprisingly nice and helpful woman at the DMV. She informed me that my bike has been registered in NC, and there is no record of it being stolen. Unfortunately thats all she could tell me over the phone. Wit this knowledge, my best bet, she informed me, is to fill out an MVR-605A form, or a "Request for Motor Vehicle Information". This form, along with $10, will get me the complete title history of my CB. From there, I aim to do my best to get in contact with the current, or most recent, registered owner. If he has the title, GREAT! If not, Ill ask him to fill out an MVR-4 form, an application for a duplicate title. Make sure you dont use the form available on the website though: You need to get this one from the DMV, because it has a backside to it, that allows the title holder to sign it over to you. This will have to be notarized.

Where I stand: I printed and filled out my MVR-605A and plan on getting my report within the next few days. From there, I'll begin the manhunt for the holder of the title of my bike.

Comments, advice, and questions are welcome. I'll post updates as they develop.

-Aaron

Thanks man, I'm sure I'm gonna need it. :)

Update: You can only mail in the MVR-605A form, so I sent it a couple days ago. Looking forward to getting my response, although I have no idea when it will come, especially since its the dmv.... ::)

Hey, thanks for the interest. So A while back I received my title history packet from the dmv. I think it took about 2 or 3 weeks to get it from when i sent in the form. Turns out, the last guy that had it actually had to get an indemnity bond to title it, and that was in 2004. This seemed like good news, but when I tried to contact the fellow listed, the number had been disconnected. Unfortunately from there, theres not really anything else i can do to find him, so Im going to have to go the indemnity bond route. Luckily though, I have all the paperwork from the guy who did it before me so that will be helpful. Ill keep you posted in here with the process as it goes on. Hopefully it all works out!

-Aaron

a disconnected number geeze man you gave up to easy.
i did this two times in NC and have transfered out of state titles and everything. try looking up the address, find any know relatives on genealogy sites try facebook (worked for me and my cb550) try calling the indemnity company and see if they can help find the guy.
use myspace, linked in, google, 411.com white pages dot com. you could also mail a letter to the address and see what happens it might get forwarded or get a phone call response. I paid the last two "owners" 20$ for the hassle and one of them didnt even take it.

and find this guy, ! an indemnity bond takes a year before you get a clear title plus you have to pay and pay the insurance company and the DMV

i would rather spend my free time on it rather than shell out the bucks.

good luck man and hope it works out

also a good tip is to get the name of the person you are speaking to and write it down, every-time, and get their ext. or call back and ask to speak with them specifically, this helps the process keep moving ahead.

lastly realize that the "DMV" offices are independently owned and operated, those people do not work for the state, when you call the Raleigh number you get a state agent which is usually better.

hope some of that info helps.

Hey, thanks for the pep-talk!

I found the number by looking the guy up in the white pages. It is unclear whether the owner of the bike was the Sr. or the Jr. But, I think Ill take another whack at finding this guy after hearing your words.

-Aaron

rjz5400 said:
lastly realize that the "DMV" offices are independently owned and operated, those people do not work for the state, when you call the Raleigh number you get a state agent which is usually better.

Thats good advise right there! If you go to an office you will often be speaking to some yahoo. Call down town or go there instead of dealing with people who may or may not know what is going on.

I have a friend who has done this a few times and had him write the steps down so it would be easier to remember next time. He included the locations in Raleigh he went to, so if you are not here you will have to figure out the closest place for you to go. Good luck!

Step for title and registration

1. Go to the DMV at South Hills and get the value of the vehicle and a MVR-1 title application form.
2. While at the DMV get the instructions for Indemnity Bonding a vehicle attached to the MVR-96H form.
3. Call Michael Bunch with NCDMV at 816 9197 to set up an appointment to have the vehicle inspected at the Avent Ferry DMV office. You will need the original bill of sale and any other proof of ownership documentation. He only inspects vehicles Monday-Wednesday-Friday 8am-10am.
4. Take the NCDMV inspection form, Indemnity Bond application (Bond agent to fill this out not you), MVR-1 form (you fill out she will notarize it), and the MVR-92H (you fill out she will notarize it) form to Apple Auto Insurance Joy Pike 460-9996 (make sure you mention my name) The bond will be for 1.5 times the price of the DMV appraisal ($100.00 minimal = $150.00 bond application)
5. Once this has been completed proceed back to the DMV office at South hills and hand in all of the paper work. The title and registration will come to your address in a few days.

Back
Top Bottom