CB350 oil filter

magikphun

Aright...

Dumb Question...

On the 350 twin, when changing the oil, are you supposed to be able to remove the oil filter? If so, how do you do so?

Neither manual I have gives any illustration, clear view, or explanation of it. Just to clean the "cup" that the stuff spins out into. When taking off the oil filter cover it looks nothing like anything in the book, and nothing seems removable.

magikphun

When you remove the outer oil filter cover you can see a circlip keeping everything in. Remove the circlip with a proper pin tool or needle nose pliers. Then take any M6 bolt about 2-3 inches long and insert it down the middle of the oil filter. When you hit the back there is a corresponding M6 hole that the bolt will thread into. Install the bolt firmly and pull out the oil filter cover. You now have access to the centrifugal oil filter drum. Clean out the solid debris with degreaser or varsol. You may need to scrape it a bit with a popsicle stick or something softer than aluminum. When installing, remove the M6 bolt and push in the filter cover. Reinstall the circlip and outer cover and you're done.

this little bugger can be a pain sometimes:
assembly%20003.jpg

first, remove snap ring
assembly%20004.jpg

then you can thread a 6mm bolt (I'll often use one of the case bolts) into the center
assembly%20005.jpg

If the bolt's long enough (any one of the case bolts is) it will bottom out...

...and push the plug out
assembly%20006.jpg

messy
assembly%20007.jpg

assembly%20008.jpg

some scraping, and some compressed air...
assembly%20012.jpg

...get you something like this:
assembly%20014.jpg

Those grooves are there so that you can use a bolt to push the plug out without the whole thing spinning, make sure before you tap it back in that the fins on the plug line up with the grooves in the cup.

The O ring is easy to miss when it's all dirty in there, don't forget about it. You can see it in the third picture one the plug.
assembly%20015.jpg

You should replace this, but I didn't have one and my 303 made it nice and squishy again, so I just reused it.

and a little tap
assembly%20016.jpg

don't forget about the pickup while you're in there
assembly%20009.jpg

after blasting with some WD40 and my garden hose
assembly%20011.jpg

Great pics mysta2. It's always easier to understand when a photo is included. What bike is that? The pick up screen looks much different from the CB350. That's part of the oil pump on my CB350.

magikphun said:
Aright...

Dumb Question...

On the 350 twin, when changing the oil, are you supposed to be able to remove the oil filter? If so, how do you do so?

Neither manual I have gives any illustration, clear view, or explanation of it. Just to clean the "cup" that the stuff spins out into. When taking off the oil filter cover it looks nothing like anything in the book, and nothing seems removable.

magikphun

When taking off the oil filter cover it looks nothing like anything in the book, and nothing seems removable? How is that?

Mysta2 or Dr. J,

when you say "don't forget about the pickup while you're in there" in the final two pics, what is that (the screen/filter)?

I've just cleaned mine up but am lost there.

great tutorial thread from way back, thanks.

Wow an oldie but a goodie. On the CB350, the screen is attached to the bottom of the oil pump. It's where the oil in the sump is scavenged and pumped through the filter then up to the top end. You need to remove the oil pump to access the screen and you need to remove the entire clutch basket, including back plate, to remove the oil pump.

Back
Top Bottom