www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Woody's 1972 CL350 Brat-tracker Project Bike - Finished for now - Aug 20, 2010  (Read 32049 times)

Offline woody1981

• DTT BOTM WINNER
Hey guys. I know I haven't been around for a long while but I think this deserves me to start posting again. Before I start I want to make it clear that I don't want to hear any "That's too nice to mod" comments. They are my bikes and if I can improve them in my eyes, I will!

Anywho.

This latest project is a 1972 CL350 that I totally scored. It's super clean... it just needs a carb rebuild, new battery, and some new gas and it probably would have fired right up. But where's the fun in that?

I'm going for what I am calling a Brat-tracker. It's basically going to be a bratstyle and street-tracker inspired standard motorcycle. Plans include:

• Lowering 1" in the rear and 1.5" in the front.
• New bars (pictured)
• New tires (Firestone deluxes)
• New paint.
• No front fender.
• Bobbed back fender.
• New turn sigs and taillight. Stock headlight and gauges.
• And a custom seat.

We have the stock seat off my '73 that will be kept around for extra cush and two-up riding. I'm going to have my old red/white tank off the '73 repainted cause I had no luck selling it and it's already got POR-15 lining it.

More pics to come. If you have any questions, ask. I will do my best to answer.

Nice to be back!

- Woody

----

THE DAY I GOT IT

CURRENT PROGRESS AFTER 1-WEEK

« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2010, 18:09:29 by woody1981 »

Offline 88

Re: Woody's 1972 CL350 Brat-tracker tweed jacket bike
« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2010, 05:08:32 »
Bratracker, I like the concept a lot! A score indeed I'll be watching this unfold for sure. Keep posting Woody.

Offline woody1981

• DTT BOTM WINNER
Quick update.

Tank and side covers are at the painters. This paint job should be really different and special, keep your eyes peeled.

Forks are off and will be lowered 1.5" this weekend. New 12" Redwing shocks installed. Wheels are off to get new Firestone Deluxe's installed. Carbs off to clean and rebuild. Just need to fab up the seat and re-assemble. Thinking 2-3 weeks and we'll be blasting it around town!

- Woody

Offline VonYinzer

• DTT SUPPORTER
Very cool man. I just picked up a complete P.O.S. 68 cl350 that Im going to go in a similar direction with.
Like a river that don't know where it's flowin'
I took a wrong turn and just kept goin'

Offline woody1981

• DTT BOTM WINNER
Weekend update: Just got the 19"x4.00" front and 18"x4.00" rear mounted up... Firestone Deluxes. They look fantastic. Can't wait to get them installed on the bike. Need to get the forks lowered and the fender bobbed this weekend and I'll be able to do that.

- Woody

Offline valvesprung

Awesome so far, cant wait to see her dialed in
'79 KZ650SR (the show pony)
'97 Buell S3
1980 XS850

Offline bww_mn

"2-3 weeks"

I'm amazed how quickly some folks move when it takes me 2-3 months for some very simple mode (ie, clip-ons, taillights, etc).

I'm looking fwd to following this build!

Offline bww_mn

Woody, just curious, if you'd be willing to share:

Where do you get your tanks/sides painted and could you share a ~ price?  I'm having trouble finding someone locally and I'd be willing to ship.

Thanks,
Brad

Offline woody1981

• DTT BOTM WINNER
Brad,

I am very fortunate to have really talented friends. On my first bike the paint was done by a friend of mine in trade for some clip-ons I had laying around and a $100 AGV Dragon helmet. I just paid for the paint. The pinstriping was done by my friend Josh Christy that owns vanchase.com and I think it cost me about $50 and a bottle of Sailor Jerry... but I've known him for years.

Josh from VanChase is painting the tank for this project and I think it's really gonna be something special and different. Picture this... we found a 1970's dirt tracker tank and stuck it on the bike... complete with fading and distress etc... but all new paint. I'm really putting it in his artistic hands. I don't know what he's going to charge me, but I'm sure it will be worth whatever it is.

Once it's done and if you like what you see I will ask him if he want's to take on another tank/covers project and if so I'll get you in touch.

- Woody

Woody, just curious, if you'd be willing to share:

Where do you get your tanks/sides painted and could you share a ~ price?  I'm having trouble finding someone locally and I'd be willing to ship.

Thanks,
Brad

Offline woody1981

• DTT BOTM WINNER
Got the new bars drilled and wired tonight. Pulled the carbs apart ready to get ultrasonically cleaned, and dissembled the fork legs.

Ran into a little issue tonight with the forks. I was planning to just add a spacer on the dampers to lower the forks, but on these CL forks they are a sealed up damper/rod/piston unit. I'm going to take the damper assembly to a machine shop next to my office and see if they can just cut the damper rod and re-thread it where it threads into the fork caps. I don't think it's going to me a major setback... but I will know more tomorrow.

- Woody