https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Poll

Should the handlebars be flat black or chrome?

Flat Black
21 (75%)
Chrome
7 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: Mar 20, 2011, 17:39:15

Author Topic: Project Spartan: Completed (another CB360)  (Read 86868 times)

Offline 66replica

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • The Wrecking Crew
Project Spartan: Completed (another CB360)
« on: Jun 12, 2010, 00:30:58 »
Hey all,

Been reading here for a while, decided to post what I'm currently working on. I got a package deal on 2 CB360s and 2 CL360s recently but only 2 of them had titles. I picked the best looking one and started on her, unfortunately, the motor didn't have good compression. They were all pretty rough. The first thing I did was remove everything from the bike and rebuild the motor. Since I can only post 4 attachments, I'll reply to this with the rest of the story.

Head carnage. Guess I'll have to pull one of the heads from the other bikes.

« Last Edit: Aug 02, 2011, 14:03:09 by 66replica »

Offline 66replica

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • The Wrecking Crew
Re: Cafe CB360
« Reply #1 on: Jun 12, 2010, 00:35:28 »
After I rebuilt the motor I decided to pick up a Benelli tank for the bike. I originally tried to mount the tank with a threaded rod welded on the top of the frame along with an L bracket on the back. While it worked, I didn't feel very good about the stability or how difficult it was to slip the tank onto the top mount. After that, I had a friend help weld the original Honda mounts onto the inside of the Benelli tank and extend the rubber mounts on the frame. Here's some photos of the new mount.

Got rid of that ugly hole on the top.
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2010, 10:23:25 by 66replica »

Offline 66replica

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • The Wrecking Crew
« Reply #2 on: Jun 12, 2010, 00:42:41 »
This post brings us to present day progress. I shortened the frame by about 4 inches and had a friend weld the hoop onto the back of the frame. Afterwards I had the frame, swingarm and some other pieces powdered. Last week I painted the engine with Rustoleum High Temp Semi Gloss Black. Today I mounted the engine in the frame. This brings me to my current dilemma. I originally wanted to use the original seat pan/foam and just shave it down into a nice small two up seat. Unfortunately, the original seat pan is about 1" too wide to fit up to the Benelli tank nicely. Now I'm considering making a solo seat out of fiberglass or building a two up seat from scratch. If I build the two up seat, I would need to remove the original seat hinge mounts as well as the supporting piece on the back of the frame. Since I've already had the bike powdered, I'm not sure if I should cut any brackets off. Thoughts?

« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2010, 10:13:06 by 66replica »

Offline alpinaclone

« Reply #3 on: Jun 12, 2010, 00:51:56 »
Nice start. I like the blackness.  :)
Bastard of a DR650 complete build: http://vintagefighters.yuku.com/topic/489

Offline Big Rich

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Heaven is so far away.
« Reply #4 on: Jun 12, 2010, 00:55:14 »
+1. Great looking project so far.

If you do have to cut the mounts, try some black appliance epoxy on the bare steel. Once fully cured, it's some great stuff. You can spray it into a small paper plate and use a small artists brush to dab it on.

Offline 66replica

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • The Wrecking Crew
« Reply #5 on: Jun 12, 2010, 00:57:47 »
Nice start. I like the blackness.  :)

Thanks! Can't wait to get the tank painted so it doesn't look like a bumblebee anymore.  :D

Offline rjz5400

• grummble grumble
« Reply #6 on: Jun 12, 2010, 10:55:39 »
looking good and i too like tha blackness.
i bought both my bikes without titles and was able to get them with many hours of research and letter sending and hold time on the DMV phone line.

it is possible just frustrating, so if you want to ditch the two no titles just let me know and ill swing by,  where are you located i dont see it in your pro.

Offline cafePete

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #7 on: Jun 12, 2010, 11:44:19 »
Great start! Really like the look of the engine.
2 cb360 and a cl360 wow lots of possible builds. ;D

Offline Kanticoy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Mad Science!
« Reply #8 on: Jun 12, 2010, 12:31:19 »
Looking great man!

What did you use to coat the engine?
I get not knowing, but I can't for the life of me understand not trying. It's only metal it can be fixed. Man up and risk a mistake in exchange for a lesson.
'

Offline 66replica

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • The Wrecking Crew
« Reply #9 on: Jun 12, 2010, 13:00:49 »
looking good and i too like tha blackness.
i bought both my bikes without titles and was able to get them with many hours of research and letter sending and hold time on the DMV phone line.

it is possible just frustrating, so if you want to ditch the two no titles just let me know and ill swing by,  where are you located i dont see it in your pro.

I'm in Dallas. If I ditch the other two (that's a good possibility), I'll put a post up.