'75 cb200t cafe build

stik70

Coast to Coast
Well i figured it was time for a build page. Want to have it done for next year. I would like to have it in riding form this fall and finish it during the winter. So here it goes. I started with a non-titled '75 cb200t which was pretty decent. I traded a cb175 that was really-really rough also with no title. I ended up with a titled frame and this is where the progress starts. Here is the cb when i started.
3-30-2010005.jpg
. She was sexy with motocross bars and had crash gaurds. I got the bike running after cleaning carbs and tank. No death knocks or anything, just some blow-by. Then I started on the titled frame and stripped it down.
cb200frame003.jpg
. Next, I cut the backbone of the frame and re-inforced it so i could run vm-20's with large air filters.
frame-carb005.jpg
. I built an aluminum seat pan and the local tech school welded it up for me for free.http://s629.photobucket.com/albums/uu16/stik70/?action=view&current=cb200003.jpg.

cb200003.jpg
. Here is the frame with the seat welded up and the rearsets. I am working on the controls now and getting a plan together for mounting the seat. I'm going to cut part of the rear frame off and weld in a structure that reinforces the tail section. The battery will go under the tail.
cbseat-pegs003.jpg
cbseat-pegs002.jpg

Ah yes, I remember that frame. I'll be watching this one as well.

That's a nice little stable you have there Stik - plenty of wheels too!

Big R said:
Ah yes, I remember that frame. I'll be watching this one as well.

That's a nice little stable you have there Stik - plenty of wheels too!
Thanks! I built a truing stand for my own use, but now do all of the wheel work for a couple of the bike shops and the local racers.

Well, I've been making some progress in the shop. I got the rear set mounts made and shifter from a cbr 600 adapted and a aftermarket brake pedal from an R1 mounted. Have to build the linkage yet. Since I need the back wheel on to build the brake rod, I stripped the rear wheel down and polished the hub. Hope to lace it tonight or tomorrow. I'm gonna get some tires ordered so I can see the overall height to make sure I have the right clearance between the tire and the bottom of the tail piece which needs to be built. Hope to get some pictures posted next week. Have to get ready for vacation in the black hills so the project will come to a screaching halt for a while.

I finished polishing and painting the rear hub and laced it last night. One step closer...
cbwheel003.jpg

Interesting combo on the seat and tank. I'm looking forward to see the results on this one. Great start so far.

ooh! a cb2hun! my fave! this was my first bike, when I was 16. I've had 2 since then. I love this gas tank, my fave stock tank.

I will definitely be getting another someday. maybe for my first factory style restoration. or else it would be fun to see how fast you could make one of these go...

I used to ride one of these everywhere. w/ my sk8bored strapped to my back, I'd ride from seattle up to vancouver BC(snake runs) or down to Portland(burnside) every weekend. before we had sk8parks in seawa. people would say 'you can't take a 200 on the freeway'. the hell I can't. took me a while to realize that bikes aren't supposed to shake like that at speed. but I had nothing to compare to 'cept my old BMX, so I was happy as hell.

used to ride that thing up and down stairs, on sk8 ramps, off road, you name it. even bunny hopped it!

went 2 up all the time, too. small bikes have more to offer than people realize. and are so much more fun because you can do almost anything. if you park wrong, just pick it up and move it over.

sorry, had to gush seein one of these. have fun and be safe! good luck on your proj.

by the way- I really like how you did that rear hub, I may steal your paint scheme...

Okay, making some headway now. I received the Avon AM26's, fork seals, and sprockets yesterday. Rear tire is 100/90/18 and front is 90/90/18. I made a brass bushing on the lathe to mount the R1 yamaha aftermarket rear brake lever. I also drilled some holes in the rear brake plate. I welded up some frame work for the tail section and put an aluminum floor in it. Have to call it quits for awhile to get ready to go to the Black Hills for a week. I'm getting a little wound now to get some more progress done!!
cbhalf004.jpg
cbhalf002.jpg

The wheel looks great. I love the black center of the hub too. I might steal that.

greasy said:
ooh! a cb2hun! my fave! this was my first bike, when I was 16. I've had 2 since then. I love this gas tank, my fave stock tank.

I will definitely be getting another someday. maybe for my first factory style restoration. or else it would be fun to see how fast you could make one of these go...

I used to ride one of these everywhere. w/ my sk8bored strapped to my back, I'd ride from seattle up to vancouver BC(snake runs) or down to Portland(burnside) every weekend. before we had sk8parks in seawa. people would say 'you can't take a 200 on the freeway'. the hell I can't. took me a while to realize that bikes aren't supposed to shake like that at speed. but I had nothing to compare to 'cept my old BMX, so I was happy as hell.

used to ride that thing up and down stairs, on sk8 ramps, off road, you name it. even bunny hopped it!

went 2 up all the time, too. small bikes have more to offer than people realize. and are so much more fun because you can do almost anything. if you park wrong, just pick it up and move it over.

sorry, had to gush seein one of these. have fun and be safe! good luck on your proj.

by the way- I really like how you did that rear hub, I may steal your paint scheme...
I love, Love, love this post!! This is what this is all about as far as I'm concerned.

Hey Stik,

Looking really good!! I love what you did with that goddam frame stanchion in the middle of the fucking way of everything!! I'm running VM20's as well and am trying to figure out how to "jam" the unis on there. I may need to do some cutting and welding. Loving your wheels too. I'm not a big fan of that seat profile, on anything, nothing wrong with it just not my cup-o-tea.

Keep at it man! Oh and thats a nice wheel stand there. fill us in on your whereabouts and background dude!

If you need any parts let me know chances are I have something.

diesel450 said:
Hey Stik,

Looking really good!! I love what you did with that goddam frame stanchion in the middle of the fucking way of everything!! I'm running VM20's as well and am trying to figure out how to "jam" the unis on there. I may need to do some cutting and welding. Loving your wheels too. I'm not a big fan of that seat profile, on anything, nothing wrong with it just not my cup-o-tea.

Keep at it man! Oh and thats a nice wheel stand there. fill us in on your whereabouts and background dude!

If you need any parts let me know chances are I have something.
Thanks for the kind words Diesel. Well, I'm 40 and live in NW Iowa. I've had a bike since I was seven and never been without one since. I like vintage british and japanese bikes and have a gaggle of them. I rode competition trials for a while and a couple hare scrambles and a little bit of drag racing. Nothing lately though. I'm a control operator at a power plant and do a little farming on the side too. I love all brands of motorcycles. My dad collects antique bikes and cars. His shop is cluttered but amazing, lathe, mill, surface grinder, boring bars, valve and seat grinders, etc. Needless to say, I have access to cool tools. The last build I did was a '69 triumph bobber (I posted it in the bobber section) which was featured in "Cycle Source" mag last year. I'm really digging this Honda project. Hope yours is on the near of completion!

I got the triple tree back on. I'm going to take the front wheel apart tonight so i can start drilling the hub out. Can't wait to get the aluminum rim on for a matched pair. Oh, how do you get those damn fork seal holders off.

What do you mean the "fork seal holders"? The bottom bolt in the forks can be a real pita along with the seals themselves sometimes.

No problem taking the lower legs off with the 3/8 butterfly, I'm talking about the chrome dust cover that the gaiters attach to. I tried putting a hose clamp around the chrome dust cover and turning it with a pair of channel locks to no avail. Don't want to damage the chrome...

Ah, ok. I don't know of the "proper" way to get them off, but when I did mine I used a small flathead screwdriver and a lot of tapping with a mallet. If you're gentle with it, you can get them off with only minor scratches in the aluminum (under the chrome).

Big Rich said:
Ah, ok. I don't know of the "proper" way to get them off, but when I did mine I used a small flathead screwdriver and a lot of tapping with a mallet. If you're gentle with it, you can get them off with only minor scratches in the aluminum (under the chrome).
that makes sense, thanks man and have a great weekend

Back
Top Bottom