www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: JULY 2010 BIKE OF THE MONTH - WINNER!  (Read 26031 times)

Offline Tim

• Administrator
  • DTT SUPPORTER
    • DO THE TON
JULY 2010 BIKE OF THE MONTH - WINNER!
« on: Jul 02, 2010, 00:10:50 »
We have a winner!  Sorry it's a bit late in announcing, but hey, it's Canada Day here and I've been out riding and watching fireworks :)

Congrats to Cafe Pete and his Lucky 7, who walked away with this month's title with a whopping 51.7% of the vote!

Banner to come!  Enjoy all the glamor shots and details that make this a worthy DO THE TON Bike of the Month winner!

Cafe Pete's writeup:

Hi everyone,
Started about a year ago, I had Just sold my R6 a few months earlier. I was out for a drive with my wife,
when I noticed a bunch of vintage motorcycles coming towards us on Hwy24 (Paris Swap meet) when
it hit me, time to rebuild a old bike. So the research begins.
This is what she looked like when I picked her up, after a good clean.

Good shape, but with burnt wiring , rusty tank , seized brakes , three coat of paint on the engine(wires and all) I knew I had some long days ahead of me.
First thing, came across DTT and registered.  Next worked on getting her started, then striped all unwanted parts, after reading a how to on building a fibreglass seat I took a shot at it, twice with good results.

Added the clubman’s, messed around with exhaust set up’s. When I was happy with the mock up the tear down started.

Stripped and wire wheeled the frame and cut the unwanted tabs.

Spray the frame with black epoxy,

after the frame I started on the engine by stripping the paint, disassembled the top end checking for damage, cleaned, painted, lightly polished parts and reassembled the engine.

Next on to the wheels, sanded, installed the tubes and tires then sprayed them with satin black epoxy paint,

also built a 1-2 intake with a round K&N filter, modified the kicker by adding a spark plug socket, mounted the speedo (soon the be the tach) low on the trees. Relocated the rear fender on the swing arm.

Rebuilt the carbs, master cylinder, added new fork seals, brakes, lines and cables. Picked up 2-1 exhaust off a cb350 on ebay, added a little heat to make it fit. Completed the wiring, test fired, she started right up.

Back to the seat and tank bondo, sand, bondo, sand.

Had a local paint shop mix a metallic orange paint and put it in to spray cans. After the prep was complete I taped off my garage and started spraying.

Added a led tail light, the decal and this is what she look like.

Very proud to say with the help of DTT I built this bike right out of my garage!

"Quality . . . you know what it is, yet you don't know what it is. But that's self-contradictory. But some things are better than others, that is, they have more quality. But when you try to say what the quality is, apart from the things that have it, it all goes poof! There's nothing to talk about. But if you can't say what Quality is, how do you know what it is, or how do you know that it even exists? If no one knows what it is, then for all practical purposes it doesn't exist at all. But for all practical purposes it really does exist."

Offline tWistedWheelz

• BUILT NOT BOUGHT!
Re: JULY 2010 BIKE OF THE MONTH - WINNER!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2010, 01:20:40 »
Pete I watched you craft this machine from the start, and I must say, you did an outstanding job. I love this bike and feel that it has a look that genuinely speaks cafe racer. I really can't explain how much I like it, but to put it in perspective, I really wish she was mine! I hope you find many sunny days to saddle up and enjoy this machine, and I know when you do, she will turn some heads! Nice job and congrats on BOTM, well deserved!

Offline mtrace535

« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2010, 03:33:53 »
Congrats Pete. Once again, one of the best 360s ive ever seen.Well deserving BOTM. Ill be happy if mine turns out half as nice.

Offline DBC

« Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2010, 09:20:51 »
Congrats pete! a damn fine machine you have there. BOTM honors are well deserved!

Offline diesel450

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • "Fast with a past"
« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2010, 09:52:29 »
WWOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!! Deserving!!

Offline VonYinzer

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #5 on: Jul 02, 2010, 12:36:13 »
Congrats man! Beautiful bike. Very deserving for sure.
Like a river that don't know where it's flowin'
I took a wrong turn and just kept goin'

Offline jrval240

« Reply #6 on: Jul 02, 2010, 12:48:15 »
Breathtaking bike.  superb job and not much more I can say.

Offline cafePete

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #7 on: Jul 02, 2010, 15:45:12 »
Thanks very much guys!
extremely excited and honored to be voted as bike of the month.
I hope to share some of my new skills, by helping others with there
builds, their is so many great build out there right now that's
I'm tring to follow. Keep up the good work!
Peter
oh yeah! I'm tring to put a video togther to show her in
action, stay tuned.

Offline Tim

• Administrator
  • DTT SUPPORTER
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #8 on: Jul 02, 2010, 23:11:16 »
Pete - email me full size pics of the bike that you'd like me to use in making up the banner - would like to get it done asap so we feature your bike for as much of July as possible!

admin@dotheton.com
"Quality . . . you know what it is, yet you don't know what it is. But that's self-contradictory. But some things are better than others, that is, they have more quality. But when you try to say what the quality is, apart from the things that have it, it all goes poof! There's nothing to talk about. But if you can't say what Quality is, how do you know what it is, or how do you know that it even exists? If no one knows what it is, then for all practical purposes it doesn't exist at all. But for all practical purposes it really does exist."

Offline stik70

« Reply #9 on: Jul 02, 2010, 23:57:54 »
Beautiful Bike!! Congrats, You should be proud, the workmanship is super sharp!
"Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even usually surpassing knowledge" E.J. Potter