A Fuel Tank for Dolores...

Deviant1

Over 1,000 Posts
I built Dolores the first time with the help of my long time buddy Brandon (TwistedWheelz). He came over a few nights a week and we worked on her like that until we got to a stopping point. This was her "Orange Period." She was a fine looking scoot, but she still had some issues such as no front brake and wiring gremlins. She had a custom seat made from an outboard motor cowl and some scrap steel. I taught myself some basic bondo skills with the seat project.
mockup.jpg

tail-1.jpg

SDC11727.jpg

When my clutch cable broke, I thought that was a fine excuse to tear her down again and do some things differently. I had bought a beat to shit 72 cb750 tank from a member here for like $30.00. I got that tank to try knee dents and not worry about ruining my nice stock tank. There was some rough unfinished bondo on one side of the tank and when I pulled all of the bondo out I found lots of dents, including a bad crease dent right in the curve on the side.
100_2426.jpg

100_2427.jpg

I watched Sully's video several times and then I learned everything I could from this site. I made a tool out of a 2 inch wooden dowel with several layers of leather wrapped around the end of it and zip tied to the dowel. I also had a rubber mallet and a regular claw hammer. Brandon came over one afternoon and after some ice cold mountain dew we got to beating on the tank. It looked pretty cool, but the side with the crease dent had caved in a good bit.
tank4.jpg

tank5.jpg

First coat of bondo over the nasty crease dent.
tank2.jpg

and the rest of the tank.
tank3.jpg

More bondo...
tank1.jpg

And more sanding... and more bondo...
tank8.jpg

tank6.jpg

work1.jpg

At this point, at Brandon's suggestion, I started to sculpt the rest of the tank a bit. Making bulges in the curves, making new body lines, etc.
tankdent.jpg

Next I got the tank ready for primer. This took a LONG time.
100_3187.jpg

Then primer...
100_3194.jpg

Then a horribly bad attempt at painting a two tone job. The humidity ruined the paint and the colors didn't work on my bike at all.
100_3196.jpg

Then Brandon came over and we found a new color and Brandon, being the rattlecan guru, laid the paint on. It's a rustoleum paint again... So no 2k clear this time, but I'm going to be more careful with this one...
100_3201.jpg

100_3200.jpg

100_3202.jpg

100_3203.jpg

100_3204.jpg

Here's a mock up of the tank on Dolores.

100_3206.jpg

Who says you can't get a good pait job from a rattle can! and thats rustoleum! Those pics are with no clear or wet sanding done, that is just the final coat of a color and dried! I painted that whole tank and seat with one can of paint!

That is impressive

hey Twisted, did you just bondo over the strips (where the honda was attached)?

lok222 said:
That is impressive

hey Twisted, did you just bondo over the strips (where the honda was attached)?

Loc...I can only take credit for laying the color on this bueaty, Deviant1 did all of the body work (bondo, filler puddy, priming, and blocking)!

But he did use body filler to fill the old badge mounts.

Yep, Bondo over the badge mounts. It was actually kind of a motherfucker truth be told...
I gotta say that I am starting to hate the green. More paint will come soon, I've got two options in my head right now, but both involve a color change and some old school stripes. Maybe the rattlebomb guru will ride in from the sticks and help a brother lay some color again! ;)

Deviant1 said:
Yep, Bondo over the badge mounts. It was actually kind of a motherfucker truth be told...
I gotta say that I am starting to hate the green. More paint will come soon, I've got two options in my head right now, but both involve a color change and some old school stripes. Maybe the rattlebomb guru will ride in from the sticks and help a brother lay some color again! ;)

Great job!

did you remove the little metal strips? or just bondo over them?

I'm about to do the same soon

I bondoed over them. It ended up taking a few coats as the badge mount was a little bit higher than the rest of the tank. It was still easier than trying to remove them though.

Can you describe your technique for creating the knee insert on your tank? I understand you hammer it in but whats the proper motion and tools so i don't botch it up?

Thanks! love it.

Go to the how-to video section in 800 Cafe Help and watch Sully's video. The only thing I did different was to use a two inch wooden dowel with the end wrapped in leather. I hammered the dowel with the hammer to help make smoother dents. But you're going to do a ton of bondo work!
Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom