www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: 1977 CB400F Super Sport "Give Up"  (Read 20341 times)

Offline PHeller

• My Blog
Re: 1977 CB400F Super Sport "Give Up"
« Reply #20 on: Nov 23, 2010, 10:17:50 »
UPDATE:

Ended up not being able to get into my station wagon securely. It wanted to roll around in side the car, even with the wheels off. Not only that, but at the time my wagon's springs were severely damaged, and the car was riding on the bumpstops.

So I waited...and saved...

and after 3 months of my motorcycle sitting in pieces (wheels off, forks off, engine in frame)...

I bought a trailer! A 70's Holsclaw 3-Rail Motorcycle Trailer.

Offline PHeller

• My Blog
« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2010, 14:34:27 »

So after nearly 500 miles, 5 stops, one blown tire, the Holsclaw managed to get my CB400F and about 400lbs of stuff from one side of PA to the other (Philly to Erie).

The girlfriend's T-Bird had no problems with the towing, although the suspension could have been better.

The trailer's flat tire was a result of rapid deterioration of the right side tire. I suspect an alignment issue, as the axle appears to have been repaired and the tire was at a fairly low air pressure, yet wore through the cords in the center of the tread.

Offline PHeller

• My Blog
« Reply #22 on: Nov 29, 2010, 14:49:48 »
So this is where I'm at.

1) I know the bike runs. I had it running, riding (badly), and idling (badly), but it ran!
2) The carbs are now in good shape, but need synced probably. I benched synced them but who knows how close that is.
3) Electricals are all over the place, see below.

So lets start:

Wire nuts on the ignition/key cylinder and on the right side switch wiring (starter button).

The key cylinder uses different colored wiring, I'd like to redo the plug for OEM wiring.

Four wires into one wire nut...and only one wire out? PO didn't know how to hook up the three-way cut-off switch and the start button...

From brown to black...is this normal?

I have no idea where to start with any of this:

I could really use some ideas on what to do with the relays and junk at the back of the bike...they are just hanging loose in there. Some of them look old and questionable as well...

Offline PHeller

• My Blog
« Reply #23 on: Dec 01, 2010, 17:12:53 »
Cleaning stuff up, despite it being messy outside.

Previous owner purchased a newer Voltage Regulator/Rectifier Combo, but didn't utilize the Regulator. I'd like to try to use the new unit to minimize the amount of wiring running around, but didn't want to remove the old regulator mounting tabs. Solution:

I've gotta start construction of a work bench in my basement, because its getting too cold outside to spend much time outside, plus there is no rush to have the bike on the road until Spring.

How she sits currently:

Offline IndieSol

• "This one goes to eleven." -Nigel Tufnel
    • Project: Pariah
« Reply #24 on: Dec 01, 2010, 18:57:28 »
Nothing to add other than I'm enjoying the thread.  Keep it coming!
BMW R100
XT350
CJ360 Cafe Project

Project: Pariah

Offline VonYinzer

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #25 on: Dec 01, 2010, 19:12:02 »
+1... Keep it up. Let us know if ya need anything.
Like a river that don't know where it's flowin'
I took a wrong turn and just kept goin'

Offline sxecafe

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • You think the Carpet Pissers did this?
« Reply #26 on: Dec 01, 2010, 19:42:10 »
good job man... like the quality of the pics too!

Offline PHeller

• My Blog
« Reply #27 on: Dec 01, 2010, 21:10:59 »
Still need a RH switch/cable assembly. Start button and On/Off Three way switch for CB360, 400/4, 550/4, 750/4.

I'm thinking of going with a Kit's headlight tabs, ditch the stock indicator lights for some sort of smaller light bar.

Offline jeff4uk

• 71 triumph T100c
« Reply #28 on: Dec 09, 2010, 13:24:19 »
Keep up the good work man , I built a CB400/4 this year to and had all the same probs as you
my threads on page 6 CB400/4 UK build,
The wholes at the back of the frame hold brackets that then hold the indicators!!!
I took the wiring loom off and re-built it following the manual,
your carbs look ten times better then mine,If your keeping the mesh filters,85 main jet, turn air screws out two turns,
A good earth is a MUST,Also check the Auto advence behind the points and fit NEW points and condencers
Anything you need just ask i will keep watching  ;D

Offline PHeller

• My Blog
« Reply #29 on: Feb 17, 2011, 20:54:21 »
Now that the temps here in Northwest PA are starting to rise above freezing I think I should start ordering some stuff.

I've got a Wishlist 5 items long (and $200 deep) on Dime City Cycle, and probably will hit up Vintage CB750 for electrical connections.

I'm not going to purchase from Dime City until I've got the wiring all figured out, restored, and reinstalled.

So here's my question of the day:

Should I remove the engine while the wiring is out? I don't have a stand, I don't have a work bench, and I don't have a buffer. I don't really have a reason to remove it, but it would make cleaning it easier.

My thinking is to get the bike on the road this summer then go back and clean it up once I know the running condition.

I'm also thinking that I might start looking for a replacement engine, depending on price.

Advice?