Fixing the Clutch Release/Tightening clutch cable

AnxiousCowboy

I painted my clutch lever on my kz440. I yanked the cable with needlenoses to get it off since it didnt have much slack even after adjusting the adjusted by the lever. Now it doesn't have any grip when I go to squeeze the clutch. I took off the final drive cover to see what was going on. How do I tighten the assembly where the end of the cable is? The picture is the area I'm talking about...
2010-09-03_18-01-30_268.jpg

Re: Tightening clutch cable

Is the ball bearing in the center where pushrod fits?
The cable /operating arm angle is way off in the picture but that may be because it's removed.

yeah, everything fits back into place. The cover is just off and to the front a bit.

I can get tension back into the cable when I have the whole cover back on and tighten the screw and locknut. Once I get to that point I tighen the nut as tight as possible; but then as soon as I squeeze the lever the cable goes loose again, even though I have the nut very tight and I have to use the screw to get tension all over again...

From what I remember that has a worm screw to operate. (unlike CB350/360 which has ball and ramp)
There should be a Phillips screw under the outer cover with a 10 or 12mm locknut (forget size)
you may have stripped the screw by overtightening?
Basically it's the same adjustment though, loosen cable, loosen locknut, adjust screw, tighten locknut, adjust cable

I adjusted it that way and the cable doesnt stay tight after I squeeze the lever. When this happens the screw doesn't move, but when I go to tighten the screw again it and tighten the nut again the tension is back--So would would be "loose?"

Try taking the adjuster screw all the way out and see if threads are OK

This might be a simple fix. When I was putting my bike back together I got no tension as well. Then I final realized I was missing something and found a mount on the engine where the covered sleeve has to rest. Once I did that I was good to go. I don't have the same bike but see the pic I posted. Maybe there is a mount your not running the wire through.

clutch.jpg

There is an mount for the cable, you can see it in the first pic... cable housing, cable to spring.
I was doing some more thinking today (ouch) and tinkering. I snapped some pics of what's going on:

So here's a diagram similar to my bike.
FD9F8BE.png

As you can see in the picture, the CAM has a groove out of it.. Inside the LEVER is a notch that looks like it will fit perfectly with the groove on the cam to keep the CAM stationary. I think my problem is the CAM does not thread onto the ADJUSTER all the way, just enough to hold it in place so there is so much space that the CAM doesnt slide in far enough into the LEVER to have the notch catch the groove, so it just spins freely (and I think that is what is causing no recoil on the cable when I squeeze the clutch). It looks like a bit of metal was worn off the top of the notch in the LEVER, so I'm thinking maybe it just sat a bit on the groove and when I yanked the cable with pliers like an idiot it worn down that metal and catches nothing now.

Is the CAM supposed to thread all the way onto the ADJUSTER and fit comfortably in the LEVER notch? Maybe someone in the past put in a new ADJUSTER that does not fit properly? I noticed the SEAL was missing as well. Maybe I'm way off? Here are picture of the situation: In the 3rd picture you can see the cam not lining up with the notice. In the last picture you can see the LEVER's notch (the ADJUSTER is still in)

2010-09-04_13-52-28_522.jpg

2010-09-04_13-53-02_310.jpg

2010-09-04_13-53-36_646.jpg

2010-09-04_13-53-57_600.jpg

I can't see it in the picture but is your ball bearing still there?

OK, Tha's almost exactly the same as CB360
As I said at the start, remove the nut on outside, remove threaded adjuster and check it.
Then fit it all he way into the 'cam' and check 'cam' goes all the way into cover.
Can't tell how far the locating piece is worn, that is definitely part of the problem, but, if it's that far out the ball bearing is either missing or too small..
It also looks like it may be in backwards as I'm pretty sure thats the X of a Phillips head showing?
There shouldn't be any pressure on it so I don't know why its worn?
Ball bearing in the wrong place?
The 'lever' doesn't have a hole all the way through?
The 'retainer' flat should line up with the projection in cover
From your photo's, the oil seal is stiil in place.

I think I figured it out!

That "X" you see is actually just some grease, based one what you're telling me the threaded adjuster is the problem. When I too it apart the first time, I noticed that the cam was JUST threaded to it on the end only, not all the way in and I noticed a couple metal filings on the adjuster. So I'm thinking the PO through an adjuster on there that didn't really fit the threading of the cam and he got it on just enough so that it sat just enough into the lever to make it not spin freely and when I yanked on the cable it finally let go.

So I'm about to order a new cam and adjuster on babbitts. I need to get a new clutch cable too since mine is too long since I got the drag bars on there now. What are my options? Are clutch cables universal? do I have to get an OEM cable and get it cut down or something?

Unfortunately cables are not universal.
You may have to find one close to the length you want then modify it anyway.
When you get the new parts you should still assemble it the way I said , less chance of damaging anything

Cool. Yeah I wouldn't assemble it a different way. I hope this is in fact the problem, I really cant imagine what else it would be.

Got the parts from babbitts and I was actually right. Such a simple and stupid mistake, but it's the first time I ever even opened the thing. I guess the stupid person is the one who put the wrong sized shit in there in the first place. Man it was nice riding the bike a bit today for the first time in too long :)

Back
Top Bottom