My modest Ducati Monster cafe build...looking for some input on wrapping it up..

blackkat

Here she is the day I bought her....

P1020877.jpg

Here she is thus far..

ducati1109.jpg

Highlights:
Carbon fiber headlight bucket from Benjie with yellow lense
Clip ons with bar end led turn signals
Ex box exhaust
Heavy flake glitter paint
Custom retro looking seat cover

Recent updates not seen in the pic:
Ducati 916 superbike front brake and clutch master
Ducati 900 monster twin disc brake front end with brembo 4 piston calipers

Plans:
Spoked wheels from Paul Smart limited edition
A hard cafe tail from Sean at Roc City Cafe (maybe polished, maybe painted body match)
Exhaust powder coated black

I need a few suggestions.

I'd like to powder coat the frame something different to show off the unusual design. what color?

I need some ideas to wrap it all up! Input?

If it were me, I would leave the frame black and get the rest of the body work silver to match the tank. Spoked wheels will look great, I would get black rims it would tie it in with the black frame. The headlight on there now looks out of place and the yellow lens just draws more attention to it. I would put the stock one back on. A cafe tail will look cool, but it would have to be the right one. With a modern tank, some/most cafe tails will look like they were just a bolted on after thought.

I'm having a headlight bracket made that lowers the bucket and then pulls it back in a bit. The headlight is staying for sure and the yellow gets compliments on every ride.

I agree on the wheels. I was thinking all black powder coat.

I'm still up in the air on the frame. I think it needs a color that stands out. thats the most unique part of the bike.

the only think that bike is missing is me lol i love it, if you ever want to trade for a couple of old shity hondas let me know

Very nice work. I love everything you've done, except the yellow headlight. I know a lot of people dig that look though. If the bike were mine, I'd swap to a regular lens, lower the headlight bucket just a bit, and call it perfect.

I test rode a Monster 1100 a few weeks ago at the Ducati dealership. What a nice machine. I liked it even better than the Streetfighter I also rode.

Well, there is no swapping needed to change the yellow headlight out. That color comes from yellow headlight film... I just need to pull it off to make the change.

The other idea I had was a mild dark tinted headlight with a yellow HID kit. I can't say enough about the yellow light in my riding conditions.

This week I removed the stock airbox (see the big black area under the front of the tank) and installed 2 k&n cone filters. The bike has been at Ducati for a week now as they are rejetting the carbs to accommodate the change in air flow. Also "letting" them rebuild the carbs ;D

Also picked up a nice set of billet adjustable shorty style levers for the clutch and brake.

Will have updated pics as soon as possible.

Kevin,

First off, it was great meeting you at Mods V. Rockers a few weeks back. Having seen the bike, I absolutely love the tanks silver flake paint job and vintage Ducati labels! I think the headlight lens looks great in amber, but the bucket is just too big. I do like the speedo set in it, though. Your exhaust is killer as well. Just keep stripping off the unnecessary bits and it's great. Hope to get to ride with you soon!

Matt

mookieo2 said:
Here is my post about how I lowered my headlight and gauges. It really makes it look a lot better,
http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=29422.0

Here's another one
http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=1050.0

I seem to remember that thread. Great work! I was thinking of doing something along those lines when I stumbled on these one night when ebaying with a few pinks of the black in me...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120618828092&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

They're a bit long, so I'm having them shortened a bit and making new mounts to the fork, but nice quality over all. I love the way they are similar to the frame of the bike and once I decide what color, they too will be powder coated to match.

Matt! Great meeting both you and Dustin. We need to get together again soon! Akron and Cleveland aren't too far apart! I think I mentioned it at the show...I know the bucket is a bit big, but I think once lowered and pulled back, I'm confident it'll work better. With the speedo in the back, there is little room to make it smaller.

Back
Top Bottom