project low and slow.

forcefanajd

Over 1,000 Posts
finally made the judgement call the other day to go ahead and make my cb450 DOHC into a bobber. my good friend and i stretched the swingarm 6", unfortunately there is no shocks in the picture because the shocks i have are for a cb750 and too long at 13.5" so i need to get my originals back from my pops which are about 10.5" to get it to sit right. here are sopme pics, just picture the bottom of the frame about 2" off the ground.

photo-1.jpg

and a picture from the ass end.

photo1.jpg

yes...i will take pictures of it soon. it was locked up from being rusted when i purchased the bike and has since been gone through. bare aluminum parts have not been delt with yet, ive got something a little different than normal i want to treat those peices with and will post pictures as soon as i start that little project.

Much love for the 450's brother... Looking forward to seeing this one come to fruition. ;)

Please let us know if we can do anything to help..

Jason

thewingdpiston said:
Much love for the 450's brother... Looking forward to seeing this one come to fruition. ;)

Please let us know if we can do anything to help..

Jason

Thanks man, I'm gonna need a bunch of stuff from FCC once I get deeper into this.

The only thing I don't like about my XS11 is that the shaft drive means no Stretched swinger. That looks like it's going to be a great stance. Keep us posted!

Fix said:
The only thing I don't like about my XS11 is that the shaft drive means no Stretched swinger. That looks like it's going to be a great stance. Keep us posted!

You can actually stretch a shaft drive swingarm. Bring it
To a driveshaft shop and they could definately do it, I looked into it for my dads goldwing.

forcefanajd said:
You can actually stretch a shaft drive swingarm. Bring it
To a driveshaft shop and they could definately do it, I looked into it for my dads goldwing.

Hmm, wonder what that would run. More than I can afford I imagine, but it's good to know how to get it done. Thanks!

I've seen stretched shaft bikes (very cool) seems like a lot of fabricating- one question would that change torque, and thereby change shaft thickness or final drive, or anything like that? Assuming you wouldn't drastically stretch the shaft(like 6-8inches being an average stretch for a hardtailed bike) over 8 inches it may not make a difference ---I don't know just pondering

I've been working on her quite a bit, it's all boring stuff (cleaning swingarm and smoothing the welds and finishing cleaning up the tabs on the frame). I'll hopefully have some updates later this week.

Alright well, I secured some garage space at a buddies house today to build the bike. I'm gonna start movin the stuff there tomorrow and hopefully Friday well get a lot of work done on it, expect a pretty bold update Saturday morning.

Well its Sunday nite wheres the update ;) Should have a cool stance when its put together. What wheel and tie combos are you gonna run? Jenns bike is gonna get a stretched swingarm too. I hope its not too long on the 350. So whats the treatment you plan on doing on the aluminum parts? Keep it up.

thompsonmx100 said:
Well its Sunday nite wheres the update ;) Should have a cool stance when its put together. What wheel and tie combos are you gonna run? Jenns bike is gonna get a stretched swingarm too. I hope its not too long on the 350. So whats the treatment you plan on doing on the aluminum parts? Keep it up.

Unfortunately I was stuck making a Halloween costume for my niece instead of working on my bike as much as I wanted. I did get some done but not as much as I wanted (mainly grinding on the frame). The treatment for the aluminum parts is gonna be kept top secret for now cuz I haven't seen it done on here yet but I'll post pictures of that as soon as we do it. I'm hoping to get some work done on it this weekend so I'll hopefully have the updates I wanted for last weekend at the end of this weekend.

Finally I've got updates. They will be up tonight, frame is down to bare metal engine back in and ready for mock up for my electronics tray and rear brake.

alright....we started off the day with our main goal being to get the frame down to bare metal. the first plan was to use a large wire brush on a buffer and go at it till it was gone but me being me i got really impatient really fast and just wanted it done so i could move on to more important things i i just broke out the can of aircraft remover and started lathering it on. we just kept playing with it till all the paint appeared to be loose and took her up to the car wash, which is literally 2 blocks away, and blasted the crap out of it. its 99% down to bare metal, whats left is gonna be taken off with the wire wheel right before we paint the frame which is right after all my frame modfications are done.

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

alright so after those shenanigans were done i got bored with looking at a bare frame and decided to toss the engine in and just get it prepped to fabricate/mock up my brake setup and electronics tray.....

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

then after that was done i got bored looking at a bare frame and decided to have some fun and see what she looks like at ride height and with some stuff on it. shes back down to a frame and engine now but i needed some motivation to get my ass in gear and really working on this thing.

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

i already know the comments are gonna be coming about how the bike is too low to ride on the street and im too tall for the bike sooo...... before that happens the bike is gonna be sitting about 1/2" higher (not that its that much more but it is a little bit) and my ass is gonna be slid back about 5-6" and liftwed another 1-2" by the seat, i was just having fun with it while i could.

oh yah and here are my new rear shocks....

B7YTbQB2kKGrHqFhkEyrwgTq-EBM0B7g0Stw_12.jpg

No negative comments here. I like it man. It will also be higher than a 1/2 inch taller... You have a front tire and a couple inches on the front end that youll pick up once the front wheel is together and mounted. That sould equate to over an inch at the center of the frame. Should be at a great height. Keep the updates coming man. This will definitly be a cool scoot once its done.

Back
Top Bottom