Seat build...XS 360 / 400 (official seat build thread now)...

hurricane7

Been Around the Block
Getting close to finishing the "master" for my seat mold, and would like to know what others think. I plan on angling the bottom up from around the top of the shock to the rear, and cutting back the bum stop another inch or two (white lines in the bottom photo). Never mind the rest of the bike. It's just a guinea pig.

DSCN5736.jpg

DSCN5741.jpg

DSCN5742cuts.jpg

Thanks!
-Jeff

Re: Seat build...opinions wanted

Seat looks good. I'd lose a few pounds or get some new shocks were I you.

Damn, DB, I knew that was coming! Shocks a re certainly crap, but yeah, I could lose a few! ;D

you're probably going to want to figure out how to sit further forward, or your arms won't work after much riding

seat looks great. i like the idea of trimmin the bottom at an angle like you have marked. give if it a "sleaker" look for sure

rockcitycafe said:
you're probably going to want to figure out how to sit further forward, or your arms won't work after much riding

Thanks for the advise RCC. I plan to have about an inch or so of padding on the bum stop. Maybe I shouldn't cut out that section. BTW, your advise led me to do a little search, and I get it now!...

ridingpositions.jpg

Ethanol said:
I like it too! What is it made of?

Thanks! A little bit of everything right now. Angle steel, street sign, fiberglass and pop rivets. I took a mold from the tank and sectioned it down the middle to narrow it by 1.5". I still have to finish off the front area of the bum stop. This will be a "master plug", and I will make a mold from that. The final product will be all fiberglass.

This pic shows the construction better...

DSCN5731.jpg

IT'S GREAT!

have you seen wrench monkees' seats?

very cool that you are doing it all yourself

i have been looking for a seat like that everywhere.

Nice work, I went for the same look on my xs500 but like your method alot better, haha.

jordy_g_77 said:
Nice work, I went for the same look on my xs500 but like your method alot better, haha.

Thanks! I remember admiring your 500 when I saw it. Nice bike! How did you go about your seat?

New guy here. Not a big fan of molded fiberglass bumpstop seats. A decent upholstery shop can sculpt a beautiful cafe seat from your stocker which has real padding. Not only is it more comfy for your giant ass, but also provides some cushion for your gal. You never know when that might come in handy...

Cheers!

ccrider77 said:
New guy here. Not a big fan of molded fiberglass bumpstop seats. A decent upholstery shop can sculpt a beautiful cafe seat from your stocker which has real padding. Not only is it more comfy for your giant ass, but also provides some cushion for your gal. You never know when that might come in handy...

Cheers!

Well, I guess I DID ask for opinions... and, like assholes, I guess everyone's got one! Welcome aboard CC. ;)

I myself, am not a big fan of upholstered bum stops (let alone pay someone else to make my seat for me), and wanted to carry the shape of the tank onto the seat. If my wife and I want a "comfy" ride, I'll drive the cage.

Cheers!

I love it man, I like the bigger bumpstop seats the best ! Ignore anyone telling you otherwise ;) Looking forward to seeing the finished result

Re: Seat build...opinions wanted (Slight Progress)

Well, I haven't had much time to work on the seat, but I managed to squeeze in a few hours this weekend.

Since the last photos, I closed off the bum stop with a block of foam. I shaped it down to where I liked it, then took off about .5" and covered with body filler. This photo is just after the initial shaping...
DSCN6106.jpg

Had a slight problem with it flexing a bit after the first coat, so I pretty much started over with some reinforcement from the underside. This is what it looked like after 2-3 "build up" coats of filler on the stop and the side rails...
DSCN6160.jpg

...and this is where its at now. I'm diggin' the sharp lines, but plan to radius them slightly (about .2"r). The seat pad will be 1.5" thick and end up almost flush with the sides and top.
DSCN6166.jpg

DSCN6168.jpg

DSCN6173.jpg

I've done some more finish sanding since, and I have a few spots I need to touch up before primer, but all in all, I'm happy with the progress!

Thanks for lookin!

ccrider77 said:

Cheers!

Did this idiot really become a member just to prove he's too lazy to work on his own bike? Mission accomplished!

Just saw this thread Hurricane- seat is turning out great. Matches the tank perfectly!

I really like the shape, good work. I need to pick up one of those graters too, would save me a lot of work. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom