1974 CB 360 Brat: First build First Bike

dada606

Been reading the forums for a long time and finally decided to dive in.
Picked up a 74 360 after a lot of looking, ended up finding one around the corner from my house.
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=19180.msg197015#msg197015

IMG_0246.JPG

Only 3k miles on but its been sitting for 2 years so it has most of the same age issues as any other bike.
I dove in yesterday to see what its problems were and after running down the list of possible issues it came down to the carbs being the first. So I pulled them off.
IMG_0453.JPG

The left side was leaking and when I opened the right it looked pretty bad, I have a rebuild kit on the way and I put both into an ultrasonic washer after pulling them apart.
After the wash the left looks nearly spotless, but the metal inside the right one is pitted and sort of white. Is this an issue and do I need to sand it out?
Left before and After:
IMG_0447.JPG

IMG_0460.JPG

Right before and after:
IMG_0449.JPG

IMG_0458.JPG

Float bowls:
IMG_0444.JPG

IMG_0467.JPG

My plan for the moment is to get it running before I dive into the body and frame work. I have a couple ideas, most of them inspired or stolen from the builds I've seen on this forum. Thanks for your time.

I haven't been very good about keeping this updated, I figured I would wait until I made some headway. The purpose of this bike has been to build a ride but also to learn so I've been taking my time.
Cleaned the carbs and rebuilt them.
Dismantled the bike and tore down the engine, not because I needed to but because I wanted to learn. Then thing looks great inside and once I clean up the outside I can put it back together. I've been really patient and meticulous with the tear down, everything is bagged and tagged, sitting safely in tupperware.
IMG_0295.JPG

IMG_0570.JPG

9Df9P99M0H49.jpg

i bought this tank and was thinking about using it instead of stock, it would take a lot of finessing though and I'm not sure I have the means (tools, knowledge) to make all the changes. I thought it would look great though with straight drag bars and a low seat. I would have to move the front tank mounts and maybe relocate the coils (not enough room in the tunnel to fit over where they are now). Plus I think I would have to cut the petcock mount out of the stock tank and then weld it into the 160 tank to get enough juice into the engine. Or can I just buy a stock petcock for the 160 tank? It was a cheap impulse buy and I can always save it for another project.

The problem I'm having at the moment is getting the junk off crank cases.
IMG_0328.JPG

The plan is to paint the lower half of the engine but I want to get it smooth first. Not that anyone is really going to see the bottom of the engine but I'm sweating the details. The plan is to sandblast the Cylinder Head and Cylinders and polish them, with a glossy black crank case.

Anyway, that's it for now.

Thanks for looking.

Back
Top Bottom