1978 GS750 -- Runaround Sue

DustoffDave

Alright, I have finally returned home after a year in the desert and have begun work on my $200 GS750C. Although I have mechanical experience with cars, motorcycles, bicycles, etc, this is my first real build project. I welcome any and all input/feedback. I'll start with a few pictures of some of the work I've already done.

The day it followed me home a little dirty and mossy with some big 'ol bags and a fairing:
HPIM1659.jpg

The tear-down begins -- there is actually a real bike under all of those bolt-on bits:
HPIM1660.jpg

Almost completely torn down:
HPIM1690.jpg

I'm working on it in sub-assemblies, and even though I've done some of the work for almost all of the sub assemblies already, I'll post all the pics for that particular area as I complete it.

Thanks for looking!

Re: 1978 GS750 -- First Build

Cool project!! 8)

Got specific plans?? ???

1978 GS750 -- First Build Engine clean up

Alright, so I knew there was trash down in the cylinders because the P/O had removed the spark plugs to oil the cylinders before I picked it up (it hasn't been registered since '91 and he didn't know if it was frozen or not), but didn't put the plugs back in before I got it, so there were pine needles and who-knows-what-else down in there, so I pulled the head to clean it all out and see if the cylinders were actually free.

Cylinders and head before:
HPIM1690.jpg

HPIM1709.jpg

After cleaning with Carb cleaner, a copper pot scrubber, and also some fine sanding to remove a bit of rust on the cylinder walls and it turned over nice and smoothly! I cleaned up the combustion chambers and intake and exhaust passages on the head and buttoned it all back together:
HPIM1711.jpg

HPIM1714.jpg

While I was down there I check the Stator (it was fine), checked the valve shims (within spec), replaced the points, replaced the carb boot seals and bolts, replaced the clutch springs and checked the discs (fine), and since I am planning to delete the starter I put an expansion plug into the hole where the starter used to go. A few new gaskets later and the engine was sealed back up.

Expansion plug in starter hole:
HPIM1716.jpg

Drewski, thanks! I'm keeping it low-budget as much as possbile, so nothing too extreme (yet), but I want to make is as minimal as possible, but still stay kind of true to the Suzuki heritage, so the seat cowl will be modeled after the original and there won't be any crazy frame changes, but there will be some cutting and welding here and there. These bike handled well when they were new, so don't want to alter it too much, just improve it where I can.

Cool bike - lots of potential. I'll be watching this one too.

Re: 1978 GS750 -- First Build Disc Brake Drill

So, I pulled the front and rear discs off to drill them out. When it was all said and done, each disc lost about 1/2 pound of weight. Each disc has 108 holes 7/32" in dia. I also cleaned up the surface on the front disc, but the rear disc is beyond my tool capabilities and will be taken to a shop to have it turned down this week Sorry for the somewhat crummy cell-phone pics.

Before (with the template taped in place):
IMG00137.jpg

With the holes punched:
IMG00138.jpg

Halfway:
IMG00144.jpg

Complete (aside from having the rear disc turned):
IMG00150.jpg

Nice work. GS750s are excellent bikes, I wish I never sold mine. Thanks for not posting another Honda product! Kidding. Sort of. If you're interested in weight savings- drill your rotors to 3/8". That's what I do. Also, while you have the head off, you'd be well advised to replace the valve stem seals, and the rings too, if possible. The bike I'm building now was last reg'd in 1991, too, and also looked like it rolled right out of a Prince video (vomit). Can't wait to see the final product.

Great project. Suzuki GSs are amazing bikes wih tons of potential. The charging sstems are prone to failure which can be incredibly annoying but fairly simple to address and correct. The GS Resources is a helpful site for technical info and fixes to gremlin specifically associated with these bikes. Good luck with your build,i look forward to watching the progress as Im working on a gs850 and a gs 1100 myself.

While you have the motor that far apart, why not replace the rings, cam chain, and give the cylinders a quick hone? Cheap insurance, and piece of mind. But before you do anything else make sure the exhaust pipes, and rear fender extension/mudflap are properly disposed of

Ta2Mike: I found the GS Resources just after I found DTT and they are great for info about this bike. The charging/electrical system has been checked along the way, and so far, so good, but I'm sure something will crop up. The bike only has 19K miles on it and, aside from being pretty grimy, is in remarkably good condition.

Killerdwarf: Ha! The pipes are too far rusted to even imagine reusing and the Yosemite Sam mudflap met Mr. Garbage Can a few days ago.

Cool project...you brought that baby back from the brink, that's for sure!
-KR

Alright, so going back to work after a month off has made my life a bit busier, but I was able get the carbs and brakes rebuilt over the weekend as well as cut out a bunch of old wiring that won't be needed anymore. I also cleaned up the old air box, got the old rotten tires off of the wheels, ordered a new headlight and bucket, and broke down the gauges and lights. The best part was getting rid of that nasty fairing and bags. They were too far gone to salvage, so some quick work with a saw and they were able to fit in my garbage can.

Carbs before (there was so much congealed old fuel in there it took forever to get them all clean, even after a nice carb dip):
HPIM1723.jpg

During:
HPIM1728.jpg

HPIM1727.jpg

Clean and rebuilt:
HPIM1729.jpg

Dave;
Welcome back! I got back from Afghanistan in DEC 09. I'm on my second build, 82 GS550L. It's awesome to see all the GS builds popping up!

Okay, I know it's been a long time since I posted anything in here, but I've also gotten a lot done. So, bear with me as I try to get all of the updates listed with some interesting photos.

Last time I posted any pictures I had just finished rebuilding the carbs. Since then, I have stripped it all down to the frame, repainted a whole bunch of stuff, and started putting it all back together.

Forks:
Before
HPIM1701.jpg

After being cleaned up on the wire wheel
HPIM1705.jpg

Finished and reassembled
HPIM1802.jpg

Frame:
Before: It wasn't in terrible shape to being with, but one thing lead to another and the engine was out, so I thought I'd it up a bit, remove some excess, and give it a repaint
HPIM1755.jpg

During
HPIM1756.jpg

HPIM1757.jpg

HPIM1759.jpg

HPIM1779.jpg

HPIM1787.jpg

After painting, curing in our spare bathroom (it's the hottest room in the house and has a fan to evacuate the fumes)
HPIM1792.jpg

Wheels:
You can see a bit in this pic that the wheels needed some help, and once the old tires finally came off, I could tell they needed a lot more:
HPIM1721.jpg

I cleaned them up on the wire wheel, masked the rims off and started painting:
HPIM1793.jpg

HPIM1795.jpg

Here's the finished front with a fresh new tire on it. There are a few scuff marks that will have to be repainted, but it's not too bad:
HPIM1805.jpg

Here's a picture of the Kerker header I picked up for $50, a little respray or some header wrap and they should be good to go:
HPIM1762.jpg

Here's the new tank that picked up for $20 because the tank that came with it is too short and pretty rusty inside. The new tank even had a good petcock in it, so, after selling that I actually made about $15 from the tank in total :D :
HPIM1761.jpg

The front fender is getting cut down, so I cleaned it up and started:
Masked for cutting:
HPIM1769.jpg

After rough cut:
HPIM1772.jpg

After being cleaned up and ready for paint:
HPIM1774.jpg

Pulled the engine and only had my creeper to put it on (this picture is from after I cleaned it in the driveway and my neighbors drove by giving me dirty looks -- I love violating neighborhood covenants ::) ) If you look at some earlier pictures you can see that it was pretty filthy, I actually had to clean some bee/wasp nests out from in between the fins:
HPIM1797.jpg

Here it is getting ready to be put back in:
HPIM1807.jpg

My wife (taking the picture) and my buddy Aaron (on the right) helped me get the frame and engine back together. I took it out on my own and wasn't about to repeat the process in reverse. "V" for victory!
HPIM1809.jpg

After putting some things back together (swing arm, front fork and handle bars) this is how it sits currently. It's actually starting to look like a real bike again. I couldn't help from getting on it and making some vroom noises...
HPIM1819.jpg

HPIM1821.jpg

Whew! That's a lot, but it's where she sits today, sorry for the long string of pics, but it's all caught up now and I have some renewed vigor to get it done since the sun is starting shine a little bit more here in the Pac. Northwest!

Thanks, I'm trying to keep on top of things. Also, I think I've finally come up with a decent name for this one: "Runaround Sue". It is an homage to my wife Susan (who does not "run around"), but I can run around on the bike... Whadaya think?

I think one Sue will get jealous of the other......

Nice progress. What am I seeing on teh forks. It almost looks like the chrome parts were painted black and that can't be right.

I saw that too and assumed the bottom sections of the upper tubes were taped off so the sections between the clamps could be painted black. But after looking at the "before" pic, those upper tubes look shagged all together.

nice work so far Dave, but yeah, you gotta tell us what's goin' on with those forks ::)

ian

Back
Top Bottom