'75 CB550K1 Gulf - Round...3, the fun stuff

Re: '75 CB550 - the "Le Mans Special" - she lost 90 lbs on her diet

I havent weighed my rear wheel but its alot! I had to bounce the thing off the ground like a basket ball when I installed the tire on the rim, it took a little dish soap for lube but its on.

congrats on the botm win Ringo. I've got to say if you're rear end looks half as good as your bikes then I wouldn't mind spending a few weeks in prison with you ;) . no homo

Devon
It's not gay if you say no homo ;D

edit: I have nothing against gay ppl :D

Ahahahahaha! Do I say thanks to that?

devon said:
congrats on the botm win Ringo. I've got to say if you're rear end looks half as good as your bikes then I wouldn't mind spending a few weeks in prison with you ;) . no homo

Devon
It's not gay if you say no homo ;D

edit: I have nothing against gay ppl :D

Wow... Thats some hard core male bonding going on there...
Guess bikes really are chic..... I mean.... Lover magnets???

Ringo said:
Ahahahahaha! Do I say thanks to that?

You can thank me when I'm finished ;) no homo.

Oh my... It's turning into an HGTV show in here. Ringo, your bike it awesome, and I'll be perfectly happy if I never see your rear end. Haha

Has anyone from DTT begged you to ride it yet (the CB ...sheesh)? If I was the first, would that make me first in line? Eh?

So now we need a HP:lb competition thread ;)

I'm gonna have to weigh mine, but first get an old bathroom scale, or a new one to replace my old one with. I've always wanted to know how my XS compares to new. May not have lost 90 pounds, but I've taken a lot of metal off the frame, ditched the stock seat for a manx fibreglass seat, alloy tank... hmmmmm..... :)

BTW Ringo, now that you're the first person to actually weigh their bike (near as I can tell) around here using the bathroom scale technique, I expect you to post up a thread on the methodology, so we can establish a standardized protocol to follow.

We'll all end up with bathroom scales (will need a calibration method - quantity of water would probably be good - most people have a bucket of a known volume and water available.

Document the calibration of the scale, setup the boards, weigh the bike. Most weight loss from stock while still remaining street-legal wins the prize. New contest.

I'm up for that. I chopped a hell of a lot off my bike and I'd be interested to see the results. I doubt I'll win though... mine was pretty light to start with...

I like this idea. It would have to be a percentage based on original weight though. Or we're going to get guys losing 150lbs from a HD taking the cake. But, like Erskine, if you you can shed 65 lbs from a sub-300 lb bike, that's a little more impressive!

Still, you would even have to wonder about the "percentage" method, because there just isn't much to lose on some bikes because they never really started with much. I mean, I didn't start with a Harley, but a '81 Maxim with a lot of crappy 80s gingerbread on it. A guy starting with an XL100 is not going to be able to cut nearly as much percentage without deleting necessary components, while I am shaving pounds by removing ridiculous styling treatments. It's a cool thought though, and I think we should do it anyway, just for fun at least.

Weight is only part of performance though... power to weight, now that's more like it. :)

I agree on the power to weight being the more important. Like my bike started life as a 406 lb wet bike with approx 35 HP from honda. It is now, I am guessing approx 350 lbs wet I am going to confirm this with the scale. I put the upgraded 450 which was rated from the factory @ 45 Hp. I also rejetted, opened the exhuast up etc. But 350 lbs and 45 hp is a lot better than 406 lbs and 35HP. The top speed of the CB/CM400T was 141 KPH or 87 MPH, the top speed of the CM/CB450 T was 181 KPH or 108 MPH The newer version I have the motor from. My weight savings has not increased the top speed much if any, but getting to that speed or any speed has been quickened up for sure. I know my 0-60MPH (100KPH) has gone down over the stock bike. And I don't really care about doing 100+MPH I can't afford the tickets, but I like to get from 0-55-60 MPH really quick. this also should probably be a new thread as not to clutter up Ringo's build thread.

CHeers,

Maritime

I'm all for a contest but let's start another thread.

Congratulations Ringo, it's all been said before so I won't get all wound up on it but that's a damn fine bike right there! BOTM(Y?) well deserved....

I'm new to the Ton and I must say that I'm mesmerized by that bike! It's a front cover quality machine! Kuddos!

Ha! Thanks Mo, very cool to hear from another local guy. There's a couple of us DTTers in the area. Tyler (t71ford) lives in Belgrade and he's got a couple sweet builds.

I'm leaving town in a week or two for the next 5 months, so if the weather clears up, you ought to join Tyler and me for some rides!

+1...Maybe time for a DTT Bozeman ride this weekend?

Hey Ringo... you should get this 'busa:

Hayabusa_Gulf_2.jpg

Haha, yeah I've seen that thing in my search for Gulf colors. That swing arm is...classic. ::)

Back
Top Bottom