1980 CM400T... first bike

m3hl

I have posted a bit on the twins forum, but this seems like a little more active community as far as custom bikes go.

I bought a cheap CM400T to keep me busy this winter. I want to clean it up and make it look pretty. When I bought it, there were some.. err... "upgrades" to the bike that I wasnt thrilled about.

When I bought it...
5006175107_1a48e03eb5.jpg

Here are the things that I have done to the bike in the last few weeks... It turns out, the thing runs pretty well so I dont need to dive into anything mechanical other than an oil change, and redoing the rear brake pedal. I will post pics of that soon, i need some help with that one.

Here is a pic of "The Barn". My favorite place where me and my friends tinker.

IMG_1417 by Amehl, on Flickr

IMG_1419 by Amehl, on Flickr

I took the front end apart and changed the handlebars. Along with that I lowered the front end. I am looking for a more sporty/cafe look and feel with the bike.

IMG_1444 by Amehl, on Flickr

New bars

IMG_1457 by Amehl, on Flickr

I had to get the gauges lower, so I found the aluminum spacers at work, I think I may need to go even lower :(

IMG_1460 by Amehl, on Flickr

IMG_1464 by Amehl, on Flickr

IMG_1462 by Amehl, on Flickr

I chopped and painted the fender as well...

IMG_1471 by Amehl, on Flickr

New front. Haven't tightened the bars yet.

IMG_1466 by Amehl, on Flickr

Ill take some current pics as well as my muffler install tomorrow.

How it sits now...

IMG_1476 by Amehl, on Flickr

Ok... any input on the rearsets on this thing? Like I said, the previous owner had some interesting ( :mad:) ideas when it came to changing up the bike. I DID use the search function, but there is limited info for this bike, and I thought I needed to post a picture of mine for reference.

I apologize, it looks extra-terrible because i was messing around trying to get the brake light to work with the rear. I assure you, I am going to change it.
Also, the left side muffler mount under the passenger peg is really bent. Do universal rearsets use this at all?

IMG_1474 by Amehl, on Flickr

IMG_1473 by Amehl, on Flickr

IMG_1472 by Amehl, on Flickr

Thoughts?

any suggestions for a good universal pair of rearsets? any help would be appreciated.

Hello M3hl, I just posted my '80 CM400T as well "My CM400 T -Now a CMB400 Frankenfe", http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=20018.msg205757#msg205757

I avoided posting on Caferacer.net cuz from what I have read on there they would have stuck they're nose up at mine or tore me a new "Arse" When I posted this reply you had 126 views and I haven't had a single other post on mine either. Guess nobody really likes these "First Build" Bastard children to the Early '70s CB350/360's. Since we are giving 'em a shot we may be the only ones who care. You may want to look at my post to see what I did for the Rear Sets, and my second post asking about linkage. Would like to know what you think of the direction I took mine. Keep your Knuckles safe.....

Thanks for the reply... I think i found a great (but a little pricey) solution to my rearsets problem.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-custom-motorcycle-universal-aluminum-loaded-gun-rearsets-lgc-rearsets.html

They seem to be female so I can just put a bolt on and call it good. All I would have to do is make a linkage for the shifter. Here is a question... Would the passenger peg mounts (what I am currently using) be strong/stiff enough to mount these?

I will post more pictures soon. I also swapped out the rear shocks and reshaped the seat.

m3hl said:
Thanks for the reply... I think i found a great (but a little pricey) solution to my rearsets problem.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-custom-motorcycle-universal-aluminum-loaded-gun-rearsets-lgc-rearsets.html

They seem to be female so I can just put a bolt on and call it good. All I would have to do is make a linkage for the shifter. Here is a question... Would the passenger peg mounts (what I am currently using) be strong/stiff enough to mount these?

I will post more pictures soon. I also swapped out the rear shocks and reshaped the seat.

Since they were designed as peg mounts I would imagine they should be fine. I think I have seen others do the same since it is a ready and logical thing to do.

The rear sets look very nice, but you are right, "Pricey". That would be almost as much as I paid for my bike. Part of the fun for me is to figure out how to do it on the cheap by adapting something from another bike or fabricating something.

I think I have seen where some have used the passenger pegs and then...

For shifter - Turned the shift lever back (Maybe extended) within toe reach (Does reverse shifting up down)

For Brake - Cut original pedal off and reweld pointing back toward peg and flip the rear disc lever to point up & beef up linkage to handle Push instead of Pull.

Pics Pics Pics!!!!

Hey Guys, nice work so far. If you look in the 50$ mod thread(I thnk), Herm shows how to basically make the DCC rear sets at home with some scrap, a couple bearings and a jigsaw. He is one of the owners of DCC. He did the basci design of what they sell know I believe. I have the same bike as yours and I am getting ready to do the rear set thing this winter, along with new paint and cleaning up electrical under the seat.
If they are not in the 50$ thread, search and you may get lucky in the rear sets and brakes section.

Cheers,

Maritime.

Watch craigslist for rearsets. I just picked up these, and got the guy to toss in the rear master cylinder for it too: http://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/2049691232.html Of course, I'm removing the obnoxious looking parts, and I'm building aluminum mounts for them, which just amount to a couple 3/8" slabs of aluminum bolted to the frame using existing bolts, with holes drilled in them to mount the rearsets. Pretty simple.

After I already bought those, I noticed the homemade set on cb550fcafe's cb450 (November bike o' the month). Check this pic out, nice simple solution: http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz321/kldinsmoor/Hammer%20Head/DSC01156.jpg

Also wanted to share this cm400 cafe, I was walking down 14th street in New York and saw it in the window of an art gallery. It's pretty heavily customized, that is clearly NOT the original frame or swingarm, among other things:

Attachments

• cm400.jpg
    cm400.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 393
Coming along nicely... I'm building a cb400T for a guy down in so. Cal. been alittle challenging for sure... These bikes came from the factory suuuuuuuper homely! haha

Swapmeet Louie said:
Coming along nicely... I'm building a cb400T for a guy down in so. Cal. been alittle challenging for sure... These bikes came from the factory suuuuuuuper homely! haha

Louie, Do you have a build thread somewhere?

Ok so here I am as of this weekend...

I will start with a question about spark plugs. When I changed the muffler, I would assume that my bike might need to be rejetted? I took it out for a 30-40 minute (mellow) drive the other and checked the plugs. It is clearly running lean, but did I give it enough time since I installed the new muffler?

photo(2) by Amehl, on Flickr

I am still looking for that rearset article, I am definitely looking to solve that problem on the cheap. Anything would be better than what it came with. The pegs are REALLY high. It is pretty uncomfortable for me (5' 11") so if possible I would like to lower them another inch. I think I will be able to figure that one out.

NEW SHOCKS! 13.5" eye-clevis

IMG_1490 by Amehl, on Flickr

Another project I started was re-shaping the seat... I figured I wont have a passenger so I could shorten it. Also, if you own a CM you know the seat is WIDE. It looked awful so I trimmed it a bit, but still left it a little wide.

Wow am I in over my head. At this point I have a hard time believing this will turn out well, but I am going to go slow, and I know I can try to cover it as many times as possible.

What is a good way to fasten a cover to a metal seat pan?

Untitled by Amehl, on Flickr

Also... I got this idea from a forum member. I love the choke mounted there!

IMG_1528 by Amehl, on Flickr

Well look at that... this ebay universal kit mounted up really easily!!! Also it will be really adjustable because of how it is on a slot. I am very happy about this.

Now I just need to figure out the linkage. It is too short.

IMG_1530 by Amehl, on Flickr

Does anyone know where i can buy the threaded ball joints on their own? these are really short, but i dont want to buy a new kit.

bike is looking good! i have a 250n (now a 400n) which has a very similar and same engine as the 400t. yours is coming out great!

Well I have the right side apart...

The left side is mounted, I am ordering the linkage pieces in a week, but it seems like it will be super easy to mount up.

The only problem is I am getting a bit of flex in the peg. Definitely due to the wimpy bolt they are using. Would the stiffness increase if I use a grade 12 bolt? or is that just an increase in strength.

m3hl said:
The only problem is I am getting a bit of flex in the peg. Definitely due to the wimpy bolt they are using. Would the stiffness increase if I use a grade 12 bolt? or is that just an increase in strength.

Do you have both mount holes bolted up to the frame? If not, the footpegs haven't got much chance of being stiff.

hillsy said:
Do you have both mount holes bolted up to the frame? If not, the footpegs haven't got much chance of being stiff.

EDIT - I've just had another look at your photos and noticed your mounting. You need to fix the other mounting hole in the rearset somewhere. What you have now is 2 bolts in a straight line, so there's nothing (or very little) stopping the footpeg from flexing up and down. The rearsets are designed to be "triangulated" between the 2 mounting holes and the footpeg, if you get what I mean.

Nice rear sets (maybe give a link to the ebay store?) but I gotta say that is some of the most hideous carpet I have ever seen! ;D

hillsy said:
EDIT - I've just had another look at your photos and noticed your mounting. You need to fix the other mounting hole in the rearset somewhere. What you have now is 2 bolts in a straight line, so there's nothing (or very little) stopping the footpeg from flexing up and down. The rearsets are designed to be "triangulated" between the 2 mounting holes and the footpeg, if you get what I mean.

I definitely see what you mean. Also it is a little hard to see in the pictures. I think With the logo parallel it might be a but stiffer, but I can guarantee not by much. There is zero flex in the back plate on the mounting point.

Also keep in mine when I say flex, I mean when I have 100% of my body weight on the peg. I am probably going to stick with this mount, and Ill keep you posted if I have problems.

As for the bolt, I know that it where most of the flex is coming from.

Back
Top Bottom