www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: Beachcomber's Tales from the day  (Read 165854 times)

Offline 4eyes

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Stifler's Mom
Re: Beachcomber's Tales from the day
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2010, 15:45:06 »
Best thread this year!  8)
75% has been 25% wannabe :P

"Yep, nostalgia is not what it used to be."   Beachcomber

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2010, 17:59:38 »
OK you guys - here's the choice for the "Christmas Tales".

1. The Vanishing Motorcyclist [ #1 ] - MY favourite
2. The Vanishing Motorcyclist [ #2 ]
3. The Crispy Daimler Dart - GRP 2 seater British sports car - given to the pursuit police to catch the bikes !!!!
4. The disintegrating Robin Reliant - 3 wheel GRP utility car - used in the UK comedy show "Only Fools and Horses".

OK - any one of the above and the most popular vote gets it. The other 3 will appear sometime next Spring. Don't worry there are dozens more for the rest of the year !

Just a bit of English translation in advance -

1. Roundabout - or traffic island. Used in the UK [ and EU ] usually where there are more than 4 roads at a junction [ not always ], and especially where the traffic flow doesn't need to be slowed to a stop by traffic lights.
2. Dual Carriageway - 2 lanes in each direction usually seperated by a central barrier.
3. Lay-Bye - I have NO idea what the US equivalent might be, but these are sections of the highway [ usually around 400 - 800 yards] widened on the nearside for trucks / cars to pull over / rest.
4. "Lanes" - very narrow country roads barely wide enough for 2 compact cars to pass usually bordered with hedges and sometimes, liberally covered in cow shit.
5. Transports Caffs - contrary to popular misconception, in the early 60's we used to meet in Caffs set aside mainly for truckers - NOT Coffee Bars. Coffee bars were a later phenomenon - 67 on - and were MAINLY used by Mods. We very rarely met at pubs or consumed alcohol while out for a ride. Ohhhh - don't even get me stated about Juke Box "Record Racing".

That'll do for now and hopefully stop my US cousins saying "WDF is he on about"
"if at first you don't succeed, you've already been a failure once"

" we're not going back to the sixties - we never left "

"yep, nostalgia ain't what it used to be"

"I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure"

Offline phrige

• I'm a pig, I'm A dog so exuse me if I drool.
    • Website
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2010, 18:21:56 »
I vote for #1,

THough really curious to hear them all. #3 sounds promising!

"Theory and reality are rarely one in the same." - MidcoastCustoms

Peter.Ox_Av

Offline tWistedWheelz

• BUILT NOT BOUGHT!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2010, 18:34:29 »
Can't wait to hear them all, like phringe, number 3 has my interest, but #1 being your fav, I've gotta hear it!

Thanks again comber for sharing these tales, this is better than any TV show or mag out there!

Do you want to adopt a grown american man to be your very own son?

Offline Rocan

• "Long after I rest, my steel will live on"
« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 2010, 18:38:21 »
#3 sounds good!
PJ- Cafe's don't really work right until you get rolling 70mph +

Honda CB350 Project- www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=8643.0

Honda C100 Restoration- www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=38653.0

Offline Saki

« Reply #15 on: Nov 19, 2010, 19:53:30 »
OK you guys - here's the choice for the "Christmas Tales".

1. The Vanishing Motorcyclist [ #1 ] - MY favourite
2. The Vanishing Motorcyclist [ #2 ]
3. The Crispy Daimler Dart - GRP 2 seater British sports car - given to the pursuit police to catch the bikes !!!!
4. The disintegrating Robin Reliant - 3 wheel GRP utility car - used in the UK comedy show "Only Fools and Horses".

OK - any one of the above and the most popular vote gets it. The other 3 will appear sometime next Spring. Don't worry there are dozens more for the rest of the year !

Just a bit of English translation in advance -

1. Roundabout - or traffic island. Used in the UK [ and EU ] usually where there are more than 4 roads at a junction [ not always ], and especially where the traffic flow doesn't need to be slowed to a stop by traffic lights.
2. Dual Carriageway - 2 lanes in each direction usually seperated by a central barrier.
3. Lay-Bye - I have NO idea what the US equivalent might be, but these are sections of the highway [ usually around 400 - 800 yards] widened on the nearside for trucks / cars to pull over / rest.
4. "Lanes" - very narrow country roads barely wide enough for 2 compact cars to pass usually bordered with hedges and sometimes, liberally covered in cow shit.
5. Transports Caffs - contrary to popular misconception, in the early 60's we used to meet in Caffs set aside mainly for truckers - NOT Coffee Bars. Coffee bars were a later phenomenon - 67 on - and were MAINLY used by Mods. We very rarely met at pubs or consumed alcohol while out for a ride. Ohhhh - don't even get me stated about Juke Box "Record Racing".

That'll do for now and hopefully stop my US cousins saying "WDF is he on about"

the lay-bye would just be a rest stop, though ours are quite fancy and normally have bathrooms and such though some are just a little stretch of road and nothing else.

As for my vote I'd like to hear #1 cause if its your favorite its gotta be good.

Offline RatBag22

« Reply #16 on: Nov 19, 2010, 20:01:42 »
Lay-bye? good heaven's, slang must change from place to place in the UK as well...

In wales we call it a "hard shoulder" it baffles me as to why, but it seem's to have stuck.
4eyes said: "I got a chuckle out of it. It sounds like some douche hanging out at a bike show wearing DC shoes and a flatbilled cap, with his baggy shorts hanging half way to his knees. Trying to explain that which he knows nothing about."

Well that will be me then...

Offline Makr

• I make my own rules
« Reply #17 on: Nov 19, 2010, 20:02:40 »
Defiantly want to hear them all.

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #18 on: Nov 20, 2010, 06:35:43 »
Lay Bye - English versions are generally just a piece of ashphalt set aside for brief stops / breakdowns. In the EU - France and Germany especially they are proper rest over places with toilet / washing facilities, pic-nic tables and so on.

BTW - the "dual carriageways" originally acted as arterial roads to carry traffic around a town rather than through it - for that reason they were also called " Bye-Pass".

I won a prize from an English bike mag. once for alliteration based on Bye-Pass - " Bought a Bonnie to burn up the bye-pass" was one of my offerings. Got me a years' free subscription to the mag !

Forget my preferrence - it's your choice - #3 seems to have it on a free vote, #1 has been biased by me I guess. Don't worry - both had me in stitches just recalling the incidents!

Hey - do you have Roundabouts in the US? Favourite haunt of the 4 wheel "drifter boys" as you can imagine.
"if at first you don't succeed, you've already been a failure once"

" we're not going back to the sixties - we never left "

"yep, nostalgia ain't what it used to be"

"I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure"

Offline Drewski

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • "Invictus Maneo" - I remain unvanquished!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 20, 2010, 09:55:20 »

Hey - do you have Roundabouts in the US? Favourite haunt of the 4 wheel "drifter boys" as you can imagine.

There are a few in Canada, but I don't think they're very common. I've seen a couple in prairie cities and a few in Toronto.

Down the road a little in Cambridge, ON, the "powers that be" decided to add some small roundabouts in the suburbs of the city a couple of years ago. I think it was just to be different. Most of the locals hate 'em!!  They confuse the crap outta too many drivers around here!  ;D

Keep the tales comin' Beachcomber!!  :) 8)
The Kawasaki Line-Up:

"Keepin' the Good Times Rolling"

STREET:
'02 zrx1200r "DailyRider"
'05 zx10r "RetroLookRacer"
'77 "Fauz" z1 kz/zx10r "Superbike" BOTM

PLAY:
'72 kv75 "Pitbike" 4 Sale

TRACK:
'81 GPz/kz550 "TrackBike"

FOR SALE or GONE:
'75 s1-250 Triple "Survivor" SOLD!!