www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: Beachcomber's Tales from the day  (Read 210326 times)

Offline VonYinzer

• DTT SUPPORTER
Re: Beachcomber's Tales from the day
« Reply #90 on: Dec 09, 2010, 14:41:02 »
Quick hoodlum story from over here in the states... Though not mine, the hero of this here story is a very good friend and co-worker of mine that Ive known for years. Hes been riding since age 8 and has had dozens of motorcycles throught the years. Currently owns five HDs from the 1937 - 2008 model years.

Any how... Ben was your average dirty, longhaired biker type in the 70s here in the US. At the time he had a home built HD bobber that Ive seen pics of. Pretty cool old bike.
Anyhow, Ben and his buddys were all out one night barhopping and generally being scum bags of the highest order. They stopped at their last bar for the night, and having just bought a house, Ben decided he needed to break it in and invited the whole bar over after close to do so.
Around one thirty a.m. (the bars here close at 2) he and a few guys decided to head to his place and set up for the upcoming festivities. Now to get from the bar in Rochester PA to his house in Beaver PA, you had to run up a pretty steep hill under a train overpass on the main street. As they were crossing the bridge headed towards the hill, they were all playing games, and kicking at eachothers bikes. Generally being idiots.
Ben (who mind you, is one of the most proficient riders Ive ever met, and at this time had been riding for nearly 20 years) figured he would really show these guys whats what and wen full throttle towards the base of the hill, pulling about 100 ft ahead of the pack.
As they got near the crest, and into the business district of Beaver (which at that time especially was not a real friendly place when you were a biker) Ben hopped up and stood on his seat at about 45mph. Arms out to his side.
As he tells it... The next thing he remembers is flying through the air! That and seeing his precious HD sliding towards the gas station on the corner. He watched as it hit the curb, flew through the air and landed upside down against the pump... Luckily nothing in the town of Beaver was open past six pm (as it is still) so no one was in the way of 700lbs of flying metal.
His freinds saw him go down and rushed to his side. He miraculously got up and had no real injuries. After taking a second to make sure he was ok, they realised that they better get that bike out of there before the local PD showed up. The station was only a block away, and you could be sure that the one cop on duty was awoken by the noise outside.
They rolled the bike behind the dumpster next to the gas station and waited as one of them rode home to grab his truck. When he returned they loaded her up and made it to Bens just in time to see all of the bar patrons drinking and partying in his front yard.
After ushering his guests inside, they rolled the HD into the living room and up onto some cinder blocks. You see, this was Bens ONLY form of transportation and he had to work Monday morning...
By Sunday night (between the party, and the "pity lays" because of the wreck) they had the bike back together and running strong. At least five guys stayed at his house and awake for 48 hrs to get it done.
Unfortunatly his friend who was the groups wiring "guru" had only red wire to fix the now charred and fuel soaked stock harness. They figured, "eh itll be fine" and it was until he was 300 miles from home and the bike wouldnt start, which is a completely different story.
Like a river that don't know where it's flowin'
I took a wrong turn and just kept goin'

Offline kiwi

« Reply #91 on: Dec 09, 2010, 19:13:16 »
Started reading through this thread and haven't laughed so much , ok, giggled, in a long time.  Beachcomber and Hoof, your stories are great and brings back memories for me back in the day too.  BC, winkle pickers, I haven't heard that used in 45 years or so, for those that don't know pointed shoes or boots. Get a kick out of the old pics too, the old 100e and 105e Fords, spent many a long day trying to fix those things as an apprentice mechanic back in NZ. Even though I still ride and mod my bikes, 77 and 78 xs650s, the best times for me were the late 60s early 70s on the Triumphs or BSA of the time. Have a couple of tales that may make it up here, the time I was taken to the cop shop outside Liverpool while waiting for the ferry to the IOM back in 73, or the time I saw the demise,or so I thought, of my Brother back in 71. Keep them stories coming guys, I'm hooked.  John.

Offline Rocan

• "Long after I rest, my steel will live on"
« Reply #92 on: Dec 09, 2010, 23:56:20 »
von... hahahhaa, red wire! xD!!!!

BC! amazing story with the motor! love how you chose the motor over him... glad he turned out ok (even if he is a mod!)
PJ- Cafe's don't really work right until you get rolling 70mph +

Honda CB350 Project- www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=8643.0

Honda C100 Restoration- www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=38653.0

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #93 on: Dec 10, 2010, 06:39:59 »
Rocan, just a footnote to the Roy tale.

Through the powers of Friends Reunited, Roy contacted me 2 years ago, after a lapse of some 40 odd years.

Won't bore you with all the trivia but get this - Roy went on to become a professional soldier and served in live theatres around the World - ones that generally didn't make the headlines.

He rose to the position of Sargeant Major and went through his service with only minor injuries - now can you all guess which branch of the army he volunteered for ?????????????????????

THE BOMB DISPOSAL SQUAD  :o :o :o....... I shit you not.
"if at first you don't succeed, you've already been a failure once"

" we're not going back to the sixties - we never left "

"yep, nostalgia ain't what it used to be"

"I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure"

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #94 on: Dec 10, 2010, 06:54:43 »
Hey Von and Kiwi - let's hear 'em.

If you guys are having as much of a laugh reading them as I am reliving and writing these tales [ and I'm sure the same goes for Hoof ] - then great.  ;D

here's a short list for 2011 - provided you don't get sick of them.

1. "The Absent Wife, the Bungalow and the Mechanical Digger". 8) I'm STILL pissing myself with laughter over this one.
2. "Reliant Robin Van - Open Air Motoring"
3. "How to Tow a Gold Star - or Not".
4. "Vanishing Motorcyclist -# 2"
5. "Sign of the Zodiac"
6. "G45 at Ted's" [ look that one up - Matchless G45 500cc Twin Race Bike from the 7R and G50 stable ]
     Oh yes and I'll redraft the -
7. "Fishing for Gold Stars"

Every so often another little gem pops into my head [ usually after a Brandy or 3 ].

I'll add a picture or two along the way so you know what I'm talking about - 'frinstance the Reliant Robin Van.

Offline Hot Rod Troy

• Facebook
« Reply #95 on: Dec 10, 2010, 14:10:54 »
THE BOMB DISPOSAL SQUAD  :o :o :o....... I shit you not.

That alone will have me laughing for quite a while.  Thanks BC.
'75 CB 360 w/.075 oversized pistons

Given the moral maze inhabited by managers, we can understand why those higher in the hierarchy must absent themselves from the details of the production process: such abstraction facilitates non accountability. - Mathew Crawford

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #96 on: Dec 11, 2010, 08:27:12 »
Reliant Robin Van - post war utility vehicle made from GRP and made to a weight limit that allowed it to be driven on a motorcyclists licence.

Had a tendancy to fall over if cornered at anything more than 20mph! Max speed - 70 mph - if you were VERY brave.

Offline Rocan

• "Long after I rest, my steel will live on"
« Reply #97 on: Dec 11, 2010, 13:25:22 »
hahahha... brave man to join the military while so accident prone!!

man, this is my favorite thread in the world.
PJ- Cafe's don't really work right until you get rolling 70mph +

Honda CB350 Project- www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=8643.0

Honda C100 Restoration- www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=38653.0

Offline beachcomber

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • TJ - Beachcomber
« Reply #98 on: Dec 11, 2010, 16:28:55 »
Erskine,

just a thought - if you go back round your mate's house - have a look at the cam followers and con-rods in the Daimler Hemi lump. Also give the general internals the once over.

If you know your pre-unit Triumphs [ 500 and 650 ] the parts will look VERY familiar. They should do - both engines were designed by Edward Turner of Triumph!

Capacity wise the Daimler is just about 4 x Bonneville engines.

Offline Makr

• I make my own rules
« Reply #99 on: Dec 11, 2010, 17:18:49 »
Beer out of nose is not good. I need to read and then drink. too funny!

Not to get this too off topic, but I was telling my son the other day that when I was a kid, a neighbor/church goer whatever had every right to give you a head smacking if they were to see your personal shenanigans away from home. The only thing we were terrified of is if they told our parents.