Ethan's 1974 Kz400 Miscellaneous Bike Build

Ethanol

Coast to Coast
So I wanted to do this on the cheap. I'll list everything I did. Wanted to keep the whole thing under $1000.

Got the bike in a swap for another bike I picked up for $250. Got some cash in the deal too but I won't count that.

So I started off with a $250 sorta running Kz400.

Here's a before pic:

2uswkdf.jpg

First iteration was a cafe racer but it just never worked.

9k2mna.jpg

So after letting it sit for a while. Selling it then buying it back (long story, have I mentioned I hate selling bikes to people I know who assure me they are capable of maintaining/riding a 35 year old bike?). Had to do some carb work (naturally) and replace the stator/charging system twice. Pain in the ass but really helpful people helped me chase down the parts. Removed the batter box and fabbed my own. Completely rewired the whole thing which wasn't actually that bad (got rid of a grocery bag full of wires)

Here's a pic before paint:

2zxm976.jpg

Here's a crappy cell-phone pic. The metallic gray is going down next (tonight!) Then the kawasaki decal.

2vimbg9.jpg

Going to mimic the 70s scheme.

mach3_2.jpg

With a slightly more modern color. I'm using the new Ford Lime Metallic. Looks killer (but it's damn expensive).

Lot more (real, non-cell phone) pics coming soon.

All feedback (good, negative, or indifferent!) is welcome.

Here's a list of stuff I have bought/installed. Just ordered the boots from DCC today. I'll post pics of the new paint tomorrow.

34eak5z.jpg

If I had an excel spreadsheet with all the parts I purchased for my build... it would hurt me too much to look at it!
-Slice

Ethanol said:
So I wanted to do this on the cheap. I'll list everything I did. Wanted to keep the whole thing under $1000.

Got the bike in a swap for another bike I picked up for $250. Got some cash in the deal too but I won't count that.

So I started off with a $250 sorta running Kz400.

Here's a before pic:

2uswkdf.jpg

First iteration was a cafe racer but it just never worked.

9k2mna.jpg

So after letting it sit for a while. Selling it then buying it back (long story, have I mentioned I hate selling bikes to people I know who assure me they are capable of maintaining/riding a 35 year old bike?). Had to do some carb work (naturally) and replace the stator/charging system twice. Pain in the ass but really helpful people helped me chase down the parts. Removed the batter box and fabbed my own. Completely rewired the whole thing which wasn't actually that bad (got rid of a grocery bag full of wires)

Here's a pic before paint:

2zxm976.jpg

Here's a crappy cell-phone pic. The metallic gray is going down next (tonight!) Then the kawasaki decal.

2vimbg9.jpg

Going to mimic the 70s scheme.

mach3_2.jpg

With a slightly more modern color. I'm using the new Ford Lime Metallic. Looks killer (but it's damn expensive).

Lot more (real, non-cell phone) pics coming soon.

All feedback (good, negative, or indifferent!) is welcome.

Here's a list of stuff I have bought/installed. Just ordered the boots from DCC today. I'll post pics of the new paint tomorrow.

34eak5z.jpg

Slice said:
If I had an excel spreadsheet with all the parts I purchased for my build... it would hurt me too much to look at it!
-Slice

It hurts, but knowing that this is project 1 of like 6 hurts even more. I know I'm forgetting a ton of stuff too.

The new wiring. It's still in the process of being cleaned up. I need a nice junction box.

Picture001.jpg

That's everything. These bikes have so much extra wiring on them from the factory it's crazy.

IMG_0747.jpg

Getting ready for the accent color. Man it's hard to get those lines parallel. Even with a $10 tiny ass roll of 3M tape.

Instant gratification on it's way.

I love the bike and the green looks sick. Can't wait to see the grey on there.

It's funny, none of the parts you put on were very expensive, but they sure added up quick!

Looks awesome man. I love the green. Did you document how you made the seat? I love the way it looks and where did you get it covered for $35????

Local dude in town does upholstery fast and cheap. I love it. I was amazed/frightened when I saw how much all the cheap parts added up to!

Here's the gray.

IMG_0748.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

Hey your bike looks awesome. Thinking about picking a kz400 myself. Found one (completely taken apart) for $150. Only problem is that he doesn't have the title. So depending on how big of a pain getting a new title is I might get it.

What is your opinion of the engine? Easy to work on?

I think they are pretty easy to work on. That being said there are some problems with the earlier models (mine included) leaking oil like a sieve. I'm in the process of replacing seals as I narrow down the leaks.

I think they're peppy and fun bikes to work on. Went for a nice (but short) ride last night. Looks like my jetting is getting tuned in well. Now I gotta skin the carbs.

Video soon maybe!

Cool man. The one I am picking up is a 79 and it (supposedly) ran before the guy took it a part. I will ask him about oil leaks though so I can trouble shoot it before putting it back together.

Maybe since it's a 79 it won't have the same issues.

One other question, where did you get your rear shocks? They looks awesome. The previous previous owner hard-tailed it. So I am going to need to find something.

Sorry one more question. It looks like you painted your tank yourself... did you do that with a rattle can? Or automotive paint?

The shocks are Chinese Ohlin knock-offs. I like em. Also I did paint myself. Used automotive base coat/clear coat.

I think they sorted most of the oil leak problems by 78 so you should be good.

Ethanol said:
The shocks are Chinese Ohlin knock-offs. I like em. Also I did paint myself. Used automotive base coat/clear coat.

I think they sorted most of the oil leak problems by 78 so you should be good.

Right on. Do you remember how much the shocks were? Or where you got them?

Back
Top Bottom