An actual barn find... Yard barn, that is!

biker_reject

Over 1,000 Posts
Five years ago, a good friend of mine was griping about this old motorcycle taking up space in his yard barn. The previous owner left behind when he bought the house 20 years ago. He only described it as a Japanese bike. I'd always wanted to see it, but you know, people get busy and it always slipped my mind. Last week, I was over at his house just hanging out and asked him if he still had this bike. He did. So, we went out to his back yard and he opened the door to the shed. All I could see were these two tiny exhaust pipes sticking through a seat cowl. I was stunned at what was buried under a pile of junk and garden tools. By buddy said he was just thinking about hauling it off somewhere to dump! He said I could have it if I wanted. I was like, "Yes, Yes, Yes, Please, Yes!!! I finally hauled it to my house this afternoon.
rz500.jpg

'85 Yamaha RZ 500 V four 2 stroke! That's right, bishes! Fucking 500 cc 2 stroke! Just like the GP bikes of the 80's. 8000 miles on the clock.
rzexhaust.jpg

It doesn't run. Leaking oil somewhere. Been down on both sides. Under seat exhausts look fairly corroded. Left side exhaust dented from the kick stand from laydown. Tank has one good dent on the right side and smaller dents on other parts of the tank. Throttle won't turn, unless it's a 1/4 turn throttle. Ha!
rzfork.jpg

Anti-dive valving. I read these were useless. Looks trick though, don't it?
rzbrakerotor.jpg

Check out the vented discs! Oh yeah, brakes grab... a lot! Thought my heart was gonna blow a valve trying to load it onto my trailer.

Hot Damn!!!!!!!! You must one of those people when they get thrown into a cesspool they come up with a rose between their teeth. That has got to be the find of the century! Congrats on such a great find!

How is that some people just get all the freakin luck!??!!

Man!!.. I feel like deleting this thread and banning you from DTT!!.

:)

Great find bro!!.. We are all jealous!!..

I have no idea, but I do know they weren't exported to the US because these couldn't pass emissions. They made it to Canada, Europe, Austrailia, and New Zealand. However many are here in the states were contraband.

You should go to the store for me and buy like twenty lottery tickets. Don't look at them. Just send them to me.

I'm excited for you even though as bikes, they were not all that good. A good RZ350 will run rings around it. But it's still a cool bike.

Don't suppose it came with a title did it? If it did you are extremely lucky and I officially hate you. If not it could be hard to get registered. Time for some creative thinking.

GOD DAMN IT!

I am really happy for you and all....but I am a little pissed because I know nothing even close to this will ever happen to me!

That is seriously a bad ass bike and I would love to have a bike like that someday!

Didn't know this until doing some research:

MotoGP more or less killed the two-stroke race bike because it allowed 990cc 4-Stroke bikes to compete against 500cc 2-Strokes. The 2-Strokes were a hair lighter, but their riding characteristics made them much more difficult to handle.

Now, with the addition of Moto2 and Moto3 classes becoming 4-stroke restricted, the 2-stroke doesn't have long.

teazer said:
I'm excited for you even though as bikes, they were not all that good. A good RZ350 will run rings around it. But it's still a cool bike.

Don't suppose it came with a title did it? If it did you are extremely lucky and I officially hate you. If not it could be hard to get registered. Time for some creative thinking.

We talked about the whole title thing and will try to find the original home owner, but it's been 20 years. By buddy never met the couple. So, he's going to look for the realtor and hopefully get a name. I may have to visit the courthouse, too. I'm going to call the BMV today to see what they have to say about abandoned vehicles. I've heard of mechanic's liens, but don't really know how that works. What I really had in mind was to turn it into a pure track bike because I don't have any desire to ride a 2 stroke on the street. I'd been researching this thing for about a week and know it's a bit of a porker (steel frame and steel exhausts) with slow handling (weird tire size combo), and so-so front suspension. The engine is said to put out 80-88 hp. But, with modern upgrades (FZR 1000 forks), new exhausts (big money expenditure), and engine work (up to 120+ hp common), the RZ could be a serious track bike. If an aluminum frame can be found (crossing fingers), one could end up with a 360 lb. rocket. This thing really is unusual. It has side draft carbs! I've just never seen anything like it...

http://s114.photobucket.com/albums/n255/wickedmotorsports1/?action=view&current=GOPR0087.mp4
Wel, maybe I would like to ride it on the street after all! Listen to that V-4 Damn!

Pure fucking wow! You must have done something really nice to get a karma payback like that. If not you've got some paying forward to do my friend.

Ha! A garden shed. That's what they're called here.

P.S. BMV lady simply stated that title must be in hand to register.

biker_reject said:
BMV lady simply stated that title must be in hand to register.

Really cool find!! Amazing!! ;D

Don't worry about the RZ500 reputation. I ride a Kawasaki 750 H2b Triple. The reputation on those bikes would make you believe they're crazy enough to wanna kill as you sit at your kitchen table!! :eek: :eek: Total nonsense!! :p Get it cleaned up and have fun with it! 8) 8)

Oh, and I don't know where you are, but I doubt that lady is correct! :eek: I'd be surprised if there isn't a way to register a non-titled bike! ;) I'd look for someone else to talk to. :)

Back
Top Bottom