'79 XS400 "Stella" - Question about frame modification

Re: The other new girl, and my '78 XS400 "Stella"

Alright, so the tear down of Stella's bitch...this was the "upgrade" version of this model. As it turns out, we're going to be using a lot of this bike. The frame is in beautiful condition, and I'll also be going with the mag wheels and disc brakes and forks from this one. The engine/transmission/carbs will come from the first bike, along with the shocks. The entire exhaust from the second bike is in better condition. I'm going to see what can be done about pulling the dents out or cutting them out and welding new material on when I take my frame to the welder. Overall, I think we're in pretty good shape. Once we tackle the frame and get it all finished up, I should have most of the major components to get this thing back together :)

Pictures, of course:

sb1.jpg

One last shot of her all in one piece

sb2.jpg

My guy wearing gloves so he wouldn't get his hands dirty. I had to tease him about it...

sb3.jpg

Some progress

sb4.jpg

Mmmmm that looks healthy...

sb5.jpg

Nuts, anyone??

sb6.jpg

Ummm...

sb7.jpg

The realization.

sb8.jpg

To prove I was there

:)

Re: The other new girl, and tear down #2 '79 XS400 "Stella"

So, I'm going to be bringing the frame to a welder friend of ours soon, and I was wondering if you guys can help me plan. Here is a picture of what I want to get rid of, to hide my battery under the seat bump:

framechop.jpg

If I chop that off, I'm assuming it will require a support to be welded on? Does anyone else have a picture of what they did with their frame? Thanks, guys! :)

What happens a lot of the time is a good bit of the ugly behind the shock mounts is removed and replaced with a hoop. Tubular steel same or similar diameter as the frame rails is bent in a hoop. This braces the frame and gives you a clean line to work with. they are often flat but are also often slightly upswept. The latter configuration lends itself nicely to brat style seats. Your friend may be able to bend one up for you depending on how he is set up. Dime city sells them, but they're pretty pricey there. you could check them out to get and idea of what I'm talking about.

XS 650 frames have great stock hoops as do CB360's you could check cycle salvage in Auburn to see if they have one.

Yup... What he said. One thing you need to be real careful about is tire clearance. Some folks weld hoops on and then find that the tire hits when you bottom the shocks out. Do lots of mockups, and measuring before you weld.

You don't have to do a hoop though if you are using a bum stop type seat with a cowl. You can weld just some straight rails and some cross bracing and then lay out your electrics tray on that. Do watch your tire clearance though. Very important.

After a little bit of messing around yesterday, I think I can make it work as-is, and just cut off the excess after the bracing. The battery should be able to fit right in front and then I already have something to bolt the battery box to. If it doesn't work, I can make the modifications later, but I think It will be ok. Thanks for your help, guys!! :D Hopefully I'll have the frame ready and sandblasted really soon! Then I'll just have to hunt down a spray gun and get the thing painted. Woohoo.

Back
Top Bottom