www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: GOT a Zookie! "OVERKILL!"  (Read 92814 times)

Offline Big Rich

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Heaven is so far away.
Re: GOT a Zookie!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2010, 02:40:54 »
16 valves, huh? And you're gonna make a bobber out of it? Sounds like a racing motor to me. Either way, I wanna see where this goes.

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Earache my eye...
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2010, 05:44:34 »
Yeah, that does kinda mix up my thoughts a little on what direction to take. A Buddy has been trying to talk me into making it my first Dragbike... but I do like them curves!  ;)
“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, why don’t you just make sure that you’re just not in fact surrounded by a bunch of assholes, alright?”

JAILBAIT '67 BSA 441 Victor Roadster
STAY CLEAN '67 BSA Spitfire
ROCK-IT '81 CB750C
BOMBER '81 GL1100
OVERKILL '80 GS750
NO CLASS '72 CB450 K5

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2010, 09:42:49 »
This is awsome, I would so love to have your shop!  I love how a bike can be stripped to bare bones in one afternoon, then re aseembled in about the same time after you clean and fix and modify everything! 

Cheers, be watching this one.
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline leedutcher

• cheap, fast, and reliable PICK 2
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2010, 19:14:25 »
i 3rd the brat style! clean lines and still would be able to carve up then corners. but sense its a shafty be carfull. they tend to want to buck on the shaft side. freaks yea out the first time but you should be alright.
1979 Yamaha XS1100 special- "the judge" mods
.pod filters
.strait headers (soon to be changed)
.progressive fork springs
.jetted- 147.5 mains 45 pilots jets

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Earache my eye...
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2011, 10:46:59 »
Thanks Maritime! You know, the shop is starting to not be so "open" but the garage is getting organized for the first time. Fair tarade I guess.

i 3rd the brat style! clean lines and still would be able to carve up then corners. but sense its a shafty be carfull. they tend to want to buck on the shaft side. freaks yea out the first time but you should be alright.
No shaft here, she's got a chain. Learning more about the Zooks, mines a GS750L. "L" is a Cruiser style. Shaft drive models had a "G" after the engine size, regaurdless of the style of bike... so if it were a Shafty Cruiser it would be GS750GL.
Internet's a wonderful thing! ;)
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 2011, 12:01:31 by Hoosier Daddy »
“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, why don’t you just make sure that you’re just not in fact surrounded by a bunch of assholes, alright?”

ROCK-IT '81 CB750C
BOMBER '81 GL1100
OVERKILL '80 GS750
NO CLASS '72 CB450 K5

Offline JRK5892

• The Powder Pro
« Reply #15 on: Jan 01, 2011, 14:11:24 »
going to be a very cool build man. i am a big fan of the brat style mainly cause it allows you to pop a lady on the back and rip!~
Joe
"your life is an occasion, Stand up to it"
www.thepowderpro.com

recent builds: Hd street bob, TX cafe, KZ bratt, Goldwing tour, bratt wing, st fighter, road king, vriago bobber, chop, FXD, 1200 sporty, 1200xl sporty, GSXR, Royal enfield.. and more

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Earache my eye...
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2011, 06:02:56 »
I might hit you up for p/c pricing on some parts of this one Joe. Lots of surface rust on some of the chrome bits that I need to keep.

ROCK-IT '81 CB750C
BOMBER '81 GL1100
OVERKILL '80 GS750
NO CLASS '72 CB450 K5

Offline boingk

• Standard gearhead.
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2011, 06:15:12 »
Had an 8-valve 850G, loved that bike but never got it legal enough to ride. The few times I did ride it were diagnostic, and I can tell you that one of these things set up will absolutely haul ass. The 16v motors are different though, and have a real kick from about 7k upwards. If I recall correctly they are still making good power until about 1,000rpm past redline... they truely do have a brilliant topend.

I'll definitely be interested to see how you go with this and what direction you take. I'm seriously still in awe that they made the 'cutsom' L models, as it (in my opinion) really doesn't suit the power characteristics of the engine.

Oh yeah, good jetting point for pods and a 4-1 system saw me with mains up to 137.5 from original 115's. I would probably have dialed the air jets down to one size smaller than stock as well but sold it before I got a chance. That was with an 850 8-valver though, so figure that in when going to work on your 750 16-valver.

Anywho, all the best - boingk
Current:'14 CB125e, '77 TS185, '90 XR600R, '00 VTR1000FPast: CBR1000F, GSX-1100EF, CBR250R, CBR125R, GS850G, RS125, DR-Z400E

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Earache my eye...
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2011, 07:18:26 »
I know exactly what you mean about the "L". Seems odd to have this engine in a Cruiser. As mentioned I did get a spare carb rack that is supposed to be off an 850. I plan on opening them up and see what the jetting actually is on those. Maybe they would be a better starting point for pods and a header when the time comes.
Please keep tabs on this thread boingk. I have been searching out "Suzuki" threads here and your name keeps popping up  ;)
Can really use your experiance later on I am sure.

ROCK-IT '81 CB750C
BOMBER '81 GL1100
OVERKILL '80 GS750
NO CLASS '72 CB450 K5

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Earache my eye...
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2011, 16:47:45 »
Another good time in the shop today, after a couple hours I have it down to a bare frame. Now comes all the inspection, clean-up, sorting of what I want to keep or sell to finance the build. Then the painting and polishing of the keepers.... Good times ahead!

Boxes-O-Bike!

Honestly all that rust visible from the beginning appears to be only on the surfaces. Inside she seems quite nice. Everything still well lubed and came apart fairly well.
But all that aluminum is so damn corroded she is going to need a lot of scotchbrite, 4-ought steel-wool, and polishing.

Hard to see now in the shop lighting but these fork lowers need the same level of attention. Fortunatly, after the "Bomber" build, I had a grease zert installed in my elbow and I got a couple months until painting weather here.

« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2011, 16:51:27 by Hoosier Daddy »

ROCK-IT '81 CB750C
BOMBER '81 GL1100
OVERKILL '80 GS750
NO CLASS '72 CB450 K5