www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: GOT a Zookie! "OVERKILL!"  (Read 92889 times)

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Earache my eye...
Re: GOT a Zookie!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2011, 21:55:53 »
Busy, busy , busy. The Wifey is out of town so I got some time to spare in the shop in the evenings ;)
Yesterday I stayed after work and sandblasted some rusty hardware that would fit in the blasting cabinet. Battery tray, foot peg mount, side stand, brake and shifter levers. The remaining chrome was shot on all but the foot pad on the brake lever, so I will most likely mask that portion off because however I coat this part of the pedal, I am sure that would wear from use...

Then tonight when I got home I tackled the original rusty tank by using a method I originally saw on SOHC4.com and then again in the $50 Mod Thread here... and my tank was unusable the way it was so what the heck.
Bought a bottle of "The Works" toilet bowel cleaner, box of baking soda, and rubbing alcohol. All items were $3.00 total.
After the de-rusting I coated it with Marvel Mystery Oil I had here.
Sorry, no pics but trust me, this works GREAT, I was left with a shiny galvanized appearance inside the previously unusably rusted tank.
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2011, 20:08:49 by Hoosier Daddy »
“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, why don’t you just make sure that you’re just not in fact surrounded by a bunch of assholes, alright?”

JAILBAIT '67 BSA 441 Victor Roadster
STAY CLEAN '67 BSA Spitfire
ROCK-IT '81 CB750C
BOMBER '81 GL1100
OVERKILL '80 GS750
NO CLASS '72 CB450 K5

Offline CrescentSon

« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2011, 09:44:24 »
Nice progress Hoosier. I just caught up and I have to say I'm all about the bratstyle for this thing. Well, after a couple hundred hours of sanding, polishing, and grinding. :D
"I hated hipsters before it was cool." -Sonreier

"Lifes a bitch when your trying to sell gold bars to beggars" -VonYinzer

"To say that ALL cafe racers are the same degree of ho hum is like saying that finger banging a fisher price piano is on par with listening to Beethoven." -Kanticoy

Offline loudest143

• Insert sense of humor here---->
« Reply #22 on: Jan 14, 2011, 10:29:49 »
My bike was an 850g.  I gotta tell you, with the 16v 750, you won't wanna give up the twisty riding...   :D  If you go 'bobber', you may lose some of the handling characteristics that these bikes have to offer.  I would lean towards the 'bratstyle' or even a streetfighter setup. (which is where mine was, not a true cafe)

There are lots of replacement parts around the web for that motor.  The 16v is less common, but you can still source some of those pieces, like the valve cover end caps, and the starter cover.  We've got a local salvage yard here.  I've seen a couple of those pieces laying around in the past, so I know they should be available.

Regarding jetting:  I went round and round with my 850, after adding the 4 into 1 and pods. Literally a couple of weeks worth of trial and error with various jet combinations.  I bought the Dynojet kit, and was up and running in a hour.  Save yourself some hassle, and just buy the kit.  It's expensive, but worth every penny in my opinion.

Keep up the good work, man.  You will be very happy with your bike choice.

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Earache my eye...
« Reply #23 on: Jan 14, 2011, 20:26:28 »
Thanks guys, it is appreciated. I am pretty set on the Brat-bike and figure I can pull that off pretty easy, without a hardtail.
loudest143, Thank you so much for theGSResources.com referance earlier! I am now a member there as well. I have been researching the Dynojet kits. What did you go with, stage 3? I am really torn on headers for this. I've seen V&H, Kerker, and Mac's but DAMN $300 bones or more! I am putting out my feelers and watching e-bay for a used set that's not all smashed up... I thought about hacking up the OEM 4-2 just past the collectors and installing a pair of Sportster or some other take-off cans like I did on the Bomber.
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2011, 20:36:32 by Hoosier Daddy »
“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, why don’t you just make sure that you’re just not in fact surrounded by a bunch of assholes, alright?”

ROCK-IT '81 CB750C
BOMBER '81 GL1100
OVERKILL '80 GS750
NO CLASS '72 CB450 K5

Offline loudest143

• Insert sense of humor here---->
« Reply #24 on: Jan 14, 2011, 21:46:00 »
Sadly, I don't have pics of my header.... It was a V&H NOS that I scored off of EBay for 75 bucks!!  Shiny chrome, and it was for a 750.  Now, I took that header, and added a Muzzy sportbike cannister, and it mated up damned near perfect.  I had a small aluminum spacer that I wrapped around the header, to fill up the small gap between the header pipe and the Muzzy can.  Worked great, and had that sweet Muzzy growl.  Trust me man, if you get the right exhaust combo on that bike, your friends will swear you're on a GSXR.  Nothing like an inline 4 sound!

My jet kit was the stage 3.  I had cheapo pod filters.  I was able to tune it very easily once I put that kit in.  The thing with the Dyno kit is, they have you drill out the vacuum hole in the carb slide.  Once you do it, it makes perfect sense, as you're opening up all the other passage ways, so it makes throttle response MUCH MUCH faster.  It's kind of like POW POW when you blip the throttle, as opposed to winding up, and slowly winding back down.  Throttle is RIGHT NOW after the stage 3 kit.  I also did the R1 throttle mod.  Your stock throttle handle, the plastic part that your grip goes over, has a narrow slot for the throttle cable to attach to.  Soooo, if you get a throttle body with a wider channel where the cable wraps around, guess what?  You don't have to twist as far.  Yeah, you're not riding with your wrist in a 'broken' position, it's much more flat.  Which also translates into an easier wind up to higher RPMS, so it takes a bit to get used to.  I bought a used one at the salvage yard for 5 bucks.

I found that looking up part numbers for the 750, and 1000 helped me find out if certain parts would mate up with my bike.  You might try your favorite parts fiche to see what the numbers are for exhausts for that bike.  Maybe the 1000s also mate up with that head.  Just an idea......

Keep up the good work.  Keep us posted!

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Earache my eye...
« Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2011, 22:12:42 »
Keepin all that in the database loudest, great info. And good point on the fische cross-referance!

I scanned the line drawing out of the manual and have been changing things up a little with MS Paint. Easier to click "undo" if I make a mistake than to try and re-weld something back on.

Lowered gauges and staighter bars, no passenger peg triangles and a seat that's Bratstyle. I shortened the rear fender a little instead of removing it all together, so I think I'll keep the rear frame extensions for the mounting for now.
 Happy with the look, today I introduced the frame to mister Sawz-all and removed the peg / exhaust mount triangles, the inner splash gaurd and helmet lock mounts. Then I took my rotory burr then a sanding disk in the diegrinder and cleaned up the welds remains.

I plan on running without the centerstand but sure like using it to service the bikes so I kept those mounts on. I can put the stand back on and raise the bike on that when maintenance requires it.
 In the past builds I sandblasted the frame, but they were in the summertime, too cold outside here to pull that off now. I have been sanding it by hand but it is slow going. I will probably end up laying cardboard in the shop and trying to strip it myself... but Monday I will call around and get prices for getting this frame dipped. 8)

ROCK-IT '81 CB750C
BOMBER '81 GL1100
OVERKILL '80 GS750
NO CLASS '72 CB450 K5

Offline CrescentSon

« Reply #26 on: Jan 16, 2011, 00:37:44 »
I like the fact that you used the drawing to plan, cool idea. I just started sanding my frame, so I feel you on the slow going. Might have to spring for the brush on stripper next week.

"To say that ALL cafe racers are the same degree of ho hum is like saying that finger banging a fisher price piano is on par with listening to Beethoven." -Kanticoy

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Earache my eye...
« Reply #27 on: Jan 18, 2011, 07:24:04 »
... Might have to spring for the brush on stripper next week.

DO-IT! I originally only wanted to test a small spot to see if the stripper would even work in the cold temps here but 3 hours, 4 cigs and a few beers later this is how it sits!. I doubt I will every sandblast another frame.

ROCK-IT '81 CB750C
BOMBER '81 GL1100
OVERKILL '80 GS750
NO CLASS '72 CB450 K5

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #28 on: Jan 18, 2011, 09:01:52 »
Stripper is great, Started on my tank last night and it would have been just as clean, until I ran out.  Looking good Hoosier.  Doesn't appear to be too rusty either.  It even pulled the vinyl decals I had on it right off.
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline CrescentSon

« Reply #29 on: Jan 18, 2011, 09:49:09 »

Can't ask for a better endorsement than that...