New member from Chicago (UPDATE with pics)

c_soto

Hi my name is Cesar and I live on the north side of Chicago. Since I could remember I always wanted a cb350, time came when I had money to buy one(student refund check ;) ) well I looked for a while but could not find "THE ONE." Time pasted and I thought about giving up and buying a 81' corolla wagon like I always wanted, I decided to look one more time and I found it. It wasnt a cb350 but I fell in love with a 81' Cm400 custom. Not everyones favorite because it is harder to fix up, but I was hooked and bought her. I am in the process of chaging her looks a bit but its hard for a young full time student who is unemployed at the time :( . I hope to be done with some things by spring, she is a a runner so I only have to fix her up the way I want. So far I cleaned her up a bit, switched out the ape hangers for some clubmans, new megaphone mufflers(I need to tune the carbs now), the seat is at a shop in what I hope will be transformed into a ducati monster style. I still need to switch the front turn signals out for some smaller ones and bob the rear fender and hook up my new LED taillight/turn signal unit.Unfortantly I have no tools or anyway to have this done myself, so I will have to wait and see what happens :-\
I have been lurking on the site for a while and decided it was time to post and say hi, everyone has beautiful bikes, but I am a big fan of Joe from Chicago and have been following the goldwing build on ngwclub and have happened to see a ton of your posts here also. When is the goldwing gonna be finished? I love that bike!

here is after the clubmans(only recent pic I have)
SSPX0006.jpg

Re: New member from Chicago

Welcome to the site man. You're right, the 400 is a pretty un-loved bike. But there's still potential.

There are 2 members off the top of my head that have the same bike- Maritime in Canada and Baby Shaun in Ohio. You should check out their scoots.

wow 45 views and one hello! lol guess there is not enough love for the owners too. Well The shop is stalling on my seat so I dont know when I will be getting it, just have to wait....

Welcome to the site. Good luck on your project. Feel free to ask questions, I can't even begin to tell you how helpful this site can be.

Hi guys, well thought Id share some pics of my bike with a few changes, I have changed the mirrors and had the seat sent out to get a custom look. I still need to bob out the rear fender and get a new taillight and havent decided if Im going to change the front turn signals or just lose them. Any ideas or comments welcome.
SSPX0002-1.jpg

SSPX0001-3.jpg

Hi Cesar,
Welcome. That's a really clean 400. I really like what they did with your seat.

Where did you take it? I need to have a set pad made for a custom seat on one of my bikes and need an unholsterer.

Riding in Chicago where drivers are all blind, I wouldn't try to run without indicators. I'd go with smaller LED types back and front, but not too tiny.

At the rear, you could probably fabricate a shorter fender and fit a small LED tail light right up against the seat back with a pair of small LED indicators below the seat. That would clean it up.

Try to avoid just throwing the fender and tail light away. That sawn off look is not good and attracts CPD attention. Your bike is really clean and it would be nice to keep it looking good. It has that sort of Street Rod look that I like.

To me there are two distinctly American styles that the rest of the world likes. one is the Dirt Track look and the other is the Street Rod. Designed to go fast from stop light to stop light. You are capturing that latter image really well. Look at an old Fazer or HD V Rod for styling clues.

c_soto said:
Hi guys, well thought Id share some pics of my bike with a few changes, I have changed the mirrors and had the seat sent out to get a custom look. I still need to bob out the rear fender and get a new taillight and havent decided if Im going to change the front turn signals or just lose them. Any ideas or comments welcome.
SSPX0002-1.jpg

SSPX0001-3.jpg

nice looking bike you got there! as for the turn signals i agree with teazer, LED are way better and bright to some plus they draw a low amperage which is always a good thing to some. on thing i would do that bike is lower the headlight, flatin out the speedo and tac, and some steel braided brake lines all around. but boy that seat look very well done

Thanks guys, Well the seat was done by a shop that does car seats; took a little longer then stated but Im happy with it. I do want turn signals for legal reasons but have not found any for the front that I liked or for what I want to spend. I do have a cat eye led taillight put away, the blinkers are built in and looks kinda cool.However I do not want to get rid of the rear fender just chop half of it off and style it to the frame and seat. Heres the taillight I bought.

sorry for the small pics, but you get the idea.
Byn87eQEGkKGrHqQOKigEwPnbKQpVBMSiqGvg_14.jpg

Byn88K2kKGrHqYOKkEwTv10tdJBMSiq0es7_14.jpg

man hit me up come spring bud... i am in Elgin! we can go out for a rip on the scoots you need a hand wiht anything let me know

Lookin really cool, dude, seat is sweet; you got a good thing goin there! I like it a ton. :p

JRK5892 said:
man hit me up come spring bud... i am in Elgin! we can go out for a rip on the scoots you need a hand wiht anything let me know

Ill take you up on that for ride for sure.Ive followed some of your builds and all I gotta say is, your the man! I LOVE that goldwing you did! Hopefully my 400 can keep up with your bikes, I need to get the carbs jetted to the new pipes and a new tach cable to get it 100% but shops in chicago wants to take me for a sucker. I dont know jack about carbs either. :-\

Thanks for the nice comments guys, I have ordered my new turn signals for the front and have tinted my headlight a light blue, it looks really nice if I do say so myself.

nice! man I have buddies that ride Cb350's and KZ400's wiht us all the time right along the side of 100g choppers. do not care what your on as long as it is a solid bike and you are riding (solid meaning you will nto break down every 20ft :) ) but happens! this spring we are going to do a vintage night every other week, 500cc and below should be fun

c_soto said:
I need to get the carbs jetted to the new pipes and a new tach cable to get it 100% but shops in chicago wants to take me for a sucker. I dont know jack about carbs either. :-\

When it gets a little warmer, give me a call if you want a hand with the carbs.

plus if it is cold man you should not have them jet them now unless they are jetting to room temp... hell my sport touring will not even run right now. sucks

I didnt know you cant jet now, thanks for letteing me know; guess Ill wait till summer and let you guys know because I will need the help. Ill take you up on that ride Joe, I need a group to ride with. None of my friends have bikes except my moms boyfriend and he bearly rides. Do you live in chicago too teazer? Man I had the urge to ride today and damm was it cold! Oh well, it was fun tho. ;D

Hey Cesar, these bikes are not as easy to Cafe as some but they are easy as shit to work on and keep running. Yours looks to be in great shape. They did a good job on your seat, the stock seat looks like crap. I like the cat eye tail light. I put one of those on my GL. I have a 81 Cm with a 82 450 motor in it that is half cafe'd and in pieces again for some winter work. Welcome to the ton and let me know if you have any questions. I have had my bike stripped to pieces a few times. It takes about an hour to completely dismantel this bike to the basic components.

Cheers,

Maritime

Oh Yeah, your seat can still be 2-up for picking up Chicks, that is a good thing. I actually rode my 400 before the motor crapped 400 Miles with my wife on a weekend trip. It's the reason I still have a bike. She wanted me to sell it until I took her on the trip, we had so much fun she told me I couldn't sell it.

Cheers,

Back
Top Bottom