Airhead Cafe Racer - 81 BMW R65 - Few New Pics

Re: Airhead Cafe Racer - 81 BMW R65 - I GOTTS PAINTS!!!

I've been riding it a bit lately. Still a few things to do. Need to get rearsets and work on my battery bracket. Also I need to build a new license plate bracket. The one I had must have been a bit too thin and it broke off at 70mph on the highway... whoops..

Kate snapped this sweet action shot.

cafematty.jpg

Re: Airhead Cafe Racer - 81 BMW R65 - I GOTTS PAINTS!!!

Just a little update. I managed to get my new battery finally and built a little bracket to hold it. Extended the cables and voila!

battery_mounted.jpg

Fits perfectly under my hump (my hump, my hump, my hump...).

r65_battery_relocated.jpg

Just need to get those rearsets and I'll pretty much call it done.

Re: Airhead Cafe Racer - 81 BMW R65 - 99.92% Finished

Pretty much sneaked this under all your noses...

Batmobile_1966_7.jpg

I just assumed this was more what you were after. ;D

Fanta_Black_Orange.jpg

Great job all around. I'm lucky to have a '67 R50/2
My two cents is.. on the front brake system I always use stainless steel lines. I run two lines direct from the M/C to the L/R calipers. Then use a double banjo bolt at the M/C Ditch the two into one divider block. Lighter, cleaner, and better braking.
Cheers, 50gary

50gary said:
Great job all around. I'm lucky to have a '67 R50/2
My two cents is.. on the front brake system I always use stainless steel lines. I run two lines direct from the M/C to the L/R calipers. Then use a double banjo bolt at the M/C Ditch the two into one divider block. Lighter, cleaner, and better braking.
Cheers, 50gary

Dude. Good score... I want a /2 SO bad.

I completely agree with you on the brakes. When I bought this bike it had some other MC on it.. I think from a Yamaha. Much smaller. Brakes were terrible. I've since replaced it with the proper (slightly larger piston) MC for the duel disk setup. It's definitely increased stopping power, but it could definitely be better. Every time I hang out with 66Replica I eyeball his sexy dark steel braided line... so that's definitely the way I want to go with them.

The front end on this bike is not the greatest. I've still got a bit of a fork leak, and I had trouble getting the tubes apart to fix them.. So my plan was to replace the whole front end on the bike.... New triple, springs, brake lines, and probably lowers. In fact, yesterday I noticed I had a small brake fluid leak. So there ya go. I'll probably get around to it here in a month or so when it cools off a bit.

Great tip man. Thanks.

matty,

What did you do for the oil blow-off valve? Did yo install a catch tank?

Nice work. I really like paint scheme. Ya know I never used to like these when I was younger but man these airheads make nice cafes.
Next bike - BMW or Guzzi. Hmmm...

jkluesner said:
matty,
What did you do for the oil blow-off valve? Did yo install a catch tank?

I actually meant to comment on yours the other day... that's a great idea.. I currently have a filter there, but I've noticed some oil buildup on the tranny.. So needs some attention...

(The Legendary) Perry Bushong usually runs a big plastic hose from the breather valve up under the seat and down the side of the frame dumping out between the frame and swingarm. I'm sure this gets dirty, but it would be easy to clean. The environment be damned!

I tried to find a good pic of it, to no avail. I'll be needing to do something soon as well tho.. I'll see what turns up.

tsbigdog said:
Nice work. I really like paint scheme. Ya know I never used to like these when I was younger but man these airheads make nice cafes.
Next bike - BMW or Guzzi. Hmmm...

I badly want a Guzzi. 1000sp ought to do the trick. lol

.. yeah.....

*drools on self*

Re: Airhead Cafe Racer - 81 BMW R65 - Halloween Time!

So I've been trying to get it all finished up for Barber. Just waiting for my tank and seat to get back from the painter. They're redoing it because of a poor tank lining job on their part. This time it's being sealed at a radiator shop. I figure those people don't mess around. They will be able to seal and pressure test it for all the win.

The paint will also have a glossier finish this time round. Bike should be done this time next week.

Halloween Bike will be done in time for Halloween!!!

cafematty said:
Dude. Good score... I want a /2 SO bad.

I completely agree with you on the brakes. When I bought this bike it had some other MC on it.. I think from a Yamaha. Much smaller. Brakes were terrible. I've since replaced it with the proper (slightly larger piston) MC for the duel disk setup. It's definitely increased stopping power, but it could definitely be better. Every time I hang out with 66Replica I eyeball his sexy dark steel braided line... so that's definitely the way I want to go with them.

The front end on this bike is not the greatest. I've still got a bit of a fork leak, and I had trouble getting the tubes apart to fix them.. So my plan was to replace the whole front end on the bike.... New triple, springs, brake lines, and probably lowers. In fact, yesterday I noticed I had a small brake fluid leak. So there ya go. I'll probably get around to it here in a month or so when it cools off a bit.

Great tip man. Thanks.

Speigler lines FTW. I have them on my R75/6 and like them.

Re: Airhead Cafe Racer - 81 BMW R65 - Halloween Time!

b06d4927.jpg

Spiegler lines came in. Went with black on black. Going to grab the bits that aren't being (not) painted from the painter (that apparently works like 1 hour a week) today so I can throw them on and do a few other little things to it to prep for Barber.

This will also be the maiden voyage of my new van as a bike hauler. So.. pretty excited about that. I traded my SUV for a Chevy Express 2500 cargo van so 66Replica and I could haul our bikes down to Barber safely and securely.

Back
Top Bottom