www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Registering a bike that you do not have the ownership papers for in Ontario  (Read 40036 times)

Offline Tim

• Administrator
  • DTT SUPPORTER
    • DO THE TON
That raises one critical point - choose the right MOT office.  I try to use smaller out of the way offices, finding them much more helpful and understanding of the 'it's been in the shed for 20 years' stories.
"Quality . . . you know what it is, yet you don't know what it is. But that's self-contradictory. But some things are better than others, that is, they have more quality. But when you try to say what the quality is, apart from the things that have it, it all goes poof! There's nothing to talk about. But if you can't say what Quality is, how do you know what it is, or how do you know that it even exists? If no one knows what it is, then for all practical purposes it doesn't exist at all. But for all practical purposes it really does exist."

Scarcat

That raises one critical point - choose the right MOT office.  I try to use smaller out of the way offices, finding them much more helpful and understanding of the 'it's been in the shed for 20 years' stories.

Agreed. I find the Downsview office in Toronto much easier that the big service ontario ones.
« Last Edit: Feb 07, 2008, 03:25:54 by Scarcat »

Offline brewtown16

• what, me worry?
Possession is 9/10 bud :)  My Glock is the other 1/10 ;)

bah... glocks are for rappers and piss poor shooters. i prefer my Remington 870 18" barrel and solid mp5 stock. no plastic shit like the glock
68 CL450
74 CB360 "Mississippi Queen"

Offline Hot Action

• Geologist by day, Rockstar by night
    • My Blog
Its that easy to get a replacement ownership?

I have backed out of some SWEET deals because of lack of paperwork.  Wish I knew that back then!

Wow...

for example.. a 1977 Bombardier moped for 80$. only missing a headlight.. Engine turning and minimal rust... No paperwork...
My 1978 CB400 T1 Hawk build

Gold Exploration Geologist

Offline killerdwarf

I registered a Jensen-Healey for $10. No ownership. No receipt. No problem.

I brought the VIN with me to a license office in Barrie that had a Notary public on staff. Told her that I had paid for the car from the previous owner, and had stored the car for two years. Told her that the owner was nowhere to be found, no forwarding address. Gave her the last known address. Before you ask he had lost the ownership. Apparently satisfied with my story I was told to raise my right hand and swear out an affadavit testifying to the truth of my story. 5 minutes later I had an ownership and a UVIP.

BTW the license office in Alliston Ontario is very helpful as well, I highly recommend them.
I did one that was almost that easy too!!! Except I had to go to city hall, and get a notery to sign for me. The key to making everything easy, is to pick up a bike which has not been registered for at least 2 years. You fill out your affivit stating that you bought the bike 2 years ago (or more) with the frame, and engine numbers. You lost the reciept, blablah, and now you want get an ownership in your name. My bike hadn't been registered in 10 yrs. I had an ownership for that old bike, in my name, in minutes!!! In Kitchener, go to the Krug street office. They are open till 1 on Saturdays (but can be busy) They now have a notery on staff. Stay away from the Davenport office in Waterloo!!! Those biatches think they know it all, and will be a pain in the ass!

Offline alexcb360t

so I recently picked up a bike that had no papers.  I've been sitting with it for a little bit and finally got the vehicle abstract, Contacted the last registered owner, and had the weirdest conversation with them... almost sketchy.  Last time it had been registered was in 98.  Wish i would of read this thread prior!!

the bike is lacking carb, airbox, panels, kickstart and has been been sitting out for 2 years now (best of my knowledge, could of been even longer) rusting away due to rain and snow.

What can happen in this situation!!

Offline Holiday

I currently have a non running 72 CB750 that I'm fixing up for Spring. All I got is a signed piece of paper transferring ownership and a biz card of previous owner before that(salvage yard). So at this point I need to record all parts cost, make a list, swear it's true, get it legally signed then go to the Ministry of Transportation to get proper ownership?

Offline DrJ

I currently have a non running 72 CB750 that I'm fixing up for Spring. All I got is a signed piece of paper transferring ownership and a biz card of previous owner before that(salvage yard). So at this point I need to record all parts cost, make a list, swear it's true, get it legally signed then go to the Ministry of Transportation to get proper ownership?

First step is to run the VIN through the MTO and hopefully get a UVIP. Try to contact last registered owner, but you probably won't find him. Then fill out the form attached to the first post and get it notarized. Then take the UVIP, bill of sales and affidavit to the MTO, I use the Weston office, and get new papers.

Offline Holiday

Got it. Thanks.

Offline killerdwarf

My buddy just got an ownership for a bike last week. He had no clue on how to get it done, and actually doesn't listen to advice too well. He went to the licence office on Manitou dr. in Kitchener. They have an notiery public on staff. She guided him through the process. Take the s/n with you and say you have a bike you bought for parts, and want to use the frame. (that is what she told him to say) If you say it's a motorcycle, you will have to probably get it appraised, and then pay the taxes on the appraisel. She told him what to write on the form. He said he paid $100 for it. He paid for the used vehicle package, a lost ownership, and taxes on $100, and walked out with an ownership in his name.