'78 KZ650 Café Project "MAD KAW"

VonZipper

Been looking around for some ideas on the KZ650 project I started a few weeks ago and haven't seen this bike used as a Café project too often. I got the bike for $400.00 and it's not in too bad shape, engine needs some gaskets here and there, new pipes, the usual stuff a 23 year old bike with 23K Miles on the dial needs. I bought a few tid bits for it already and I like the way it's taking shape. I don't want to throw a ton of cash at this bike but I do want it to be presentable, safe, and handle well. I have a 900lb Gorilla bike so this 350-400LB 650 should be a lot of fun to ride. Here are some shots of where I'm at so far:

Kawton2.jpg

Tank and seat/fender are from Legendary Motorcycles in Florida and are very well made, the tank is a perfect fit on the Kawasaki 650. And the seat may even be comfortable! Here is a link to legendary Motorcycles, they have been very fair with me and purchases from them have been very easy and exactly as described.

http://legendary-motorcycles.com/

Kawton1.jpg

kawton3.jpg

It started out looking like this:

kaw1.jpg

kaw2.jpg

Still have a long way to go but I can really get a vision of how much fun this bike will be to ride each time I get to work on it.

Engine should be ready to go by the middle of next week, then we start making everything fit and function together.

Anyone who has done a KZ650 here please chime in with any ideas or hang ups. I would really appreciate the input. My primary bike is pretty much done how I want it so it's great to have another project to keep me busy:

seatrail001.jpg

VZ

Re: '78 KZ650 Café Project

Nice work so far. Love the seat and tank. And overall look of the bike.

Nice bike. Im working on a KZ750 shaft...little bit diff. beast but same family. :) Wish I had your kicker. XD Good looking start, lowering the headlight on these bikes is simple and looks really good if you lower the guages as well. Just take off the upper triple tree and flip the mounting ears upside down, and you can bend the guage bracket a little and mount it under the ears on the triple instead of on top. Looks good imo. :) Im trying to figure out a way to get all my electronics mounted under the seat Im gonna make, and that always looks good too. Classy empty space. Couldnt tell if thats what you were doing or not from the pics.

Nice, I like seeing new KZ650 projects! I had one that I sold this past August, been in mourning ever since ;D great bikes. Not sure about the 350-400lbs though, I think you'll find they are not in that range :)

Looking good. What kind of tank is that, looks real nice. Looks like you already have a Dyna on it, good stuff, I really like that unit. Worked perfectly on mine, ran just like a brand new bike. Already have a 4-1 as well, putting a muffler on it? If not be sure to rejet for the pods and exhaust. Also, not sure if you've done it yet, but good idea to check your valve clearances while your at this point.

Thanks everyone, valves check is Monday. It gets a new rear seal and head gasket next week too. Electronics will be moved under the seat to empty side case area as well, I think..getting some pressure from friends to keep the side cases on...and I'm still on the fence. I have a brand new 4 into 1 header and muffler waiting to go on after the head gasket and it has been jetted for it already. So far so good. VZ

Hi VZ,

Looking great so far...I really like your seat!

There are a quite a few pics of Deacon's KZ around. His is an awesome example of what these bikes can be made to look like.... very impressive bike.

I'm also in the process of doing a 78 KZ650 cafe... progress has been slow lately. Too cold to work in the garage.... :(

Have you been over to kz650.info yet? Great resource for everything that is the KZ650...

I'm planning to move the electrical under the seat and tank as well. might go with a wee gel battery and not use the e-start but not 100% certain yet. I cut all the tabs and seat brackets off and trimmed the back of the frame off.

Looking forward to see your progress!

Keep the pics coming.

sbruton said:
Hi VZ,

Looking great so far...I really like your seat!

There are a quite a few pics of Deacon's KZ around. His is an awesome example of what these bikes can be made to look like.... very impressive bike.

I'm also in the process of doing a 78 KZ650 cafe... progress has been slow lately. Too cold to work in the garage.... :(

Have you been over to kz650.info yet? Great resource for everything that is the KZ650...

I'm planning to move the electrical under the seat and tank as well. might go with a wee gel battery and not use the e-start but not 100% certain yet. I cut all the tabs and seat brackets off and trimmed the back of the frame off.

Looking forward to see your progress!

Keep the pics coming.

If youre not gonna use the elec start I would just ditch the battery and run a capacitor.

Looks like the engine will need gaskets all the way down to the case so while that's going on it's probably a good idea to replace the rings too, so that is going to happen as well. The frame is trimmed and the tank is mounted. And since the shop behind Fatty's Cycle (where the bike is being built) builds race cars from the frame up, the swingarm is getting a beef-up with parts from the frame shop. Kind of a ladder type job..should be awesome. It's all moving along. Pictures coming. VZ

Looking good VonZipper.
Rings are hard to find, so start looking so your ready for them when the time comes.
Bracing the swingarm is something I had done.
A buddy added some chrome molly bracing to the stock arm for me.
That way I didn't need to deal with switching the chain, brake components, shocks etc etc when adapting another swingarm in.

DSC02245.jpg

Doing the same thing Rob..in fact when I saw yours I couldn't go any other way. I'm even going to use your picture to show the guys at the shop what I want. Thanks for the inspiration. VZ

Tank mounted and frame cut to fab out the seat pan........This thing is going to be one MAD KAW!

MadKaw1.jpg

MadKaw4.jpg

MadKaw6.jpg

MadKaw2.jpg

MadKaw3.jpg

Fatty's Cycle in Fortville, IN will be doing the major part of the mechanicals. They are great guys and let me hang around and fiddle with the process, I will be doing what I can as well, but I'm not even close to the Engine guys Kevin and Matt at Fatty's are and I want this bike done right the first time. I'm more of a "Bolt On" guy with skills and no fear of faliure so the bike is in very good hands with Fatty's. I couldn't ask for a better environment for a project like this. Kevin at Fatty's is really a great "concept" guy, we mull things over and I can see the light go off above his head and I'll go home and before I can go back into the shop Matt will say "Brace Yourself" and BAM Kevin has done something magical again with the bike. He is like Sheriff Roy in Blazing Saddles..Twooly Gifted...It's twooo it's twoo! Me I'm more like Mongo. VZ

Is the tank fiberglass? If so, did it come with a petcock mount already glassed in, or do you have to do it yourself?

It actually came with two of them glassed in, one on each side, the tank is very well done and I am pleased as I really think it sets the tone for the entire build. VZ

Back
Top Bottom