CB350 Sly... Now with 2 finger braking!!!

overdraft

Coast to Coast
I'm not sure with all the amazing builds going on around here that we really need another CB350 café build thread, particularly by a guy who's never done it before, working in his garage... but here goes anyway... My first bike was a CL350 so when I decided to make a café racer that's what I wanted to use... I ended up getting a 1970 CB350K2, but as I was going to replace the tank, pipes and bars everything that's left is the same... It was complete, but not running... I bought it from this really cool girl named Sylvia who went by the handle 'Sly' so I couldn't think of a better name for the project! Here it is on the day I bought it...

IMG_0175.jpg

I got it sorta running mostly to prove out the electrics. It ran like crap, but my concern was more that when I put it back together and it doesn't run my troubleshooting will be on the mechanical side... Here she is in her new home

IMG_0181.jpg

So then I started pulling stuff off... I wanted to go with a disc brake front end so off with the drum front....

fromiphone362.jpg

More stuff off...

fromiphone361.jpg

fromiphone360.jpg

Re: Project 'Sly'... do we really need another CB350 newbie build thread?

Oh ya, I'm out of sequence already! D'oh! *facepalm* before I took the front end off I got some stainless mandrel bends off Columbia River (www.mandrel-bends.com) and made a 2:1 exhaust that hooks up to a cheapie emgo muffler. I actually like the look of the muffler in spite of the budget pricing...

fromiphone343.jpg

fromiphone342.jpg

fromiphone340.jpg

ok! motor out of frame now!

fromiphone368-1.jpg

fromiphone369-1.jpg

did some grindage to get rid of a bunch of tabs and stuff i wasn't gonna use...

fromiphone371.jpg

wait! was this bit important??? i sure hope not...

fromiphone372.jpg

Very nice work so far, look forward to following your progress. Great work on the headers.

I see we have similar tastes in bikes. I have a CB350 and a SFV650, similar to your collection ;D

I think we always need more build threads done by people who have never build a bike before before in their humble garage. Those are the threads I prefer, me being one of the aforementioned people notwithstanding. :D It's the threads I learn the most in because we all make beginner mistakes and ask a lot of questions.

Looks like it's going to be a fun one. Any tank or seat plans? The new exhaust looks nice, I assume you can weld? If so you've got one up on me!

Have fun!

while i was detabbing the frame i ground off the chain guard connection on the swing arm to match it up with the other side, and i got rid of the bit of the passenger peg plate that was part of the shift linkage as i am doing the ubiquitous passenger peg as rearset conversion...

fromiphone627.jpg

fromiphone633.jpg

remember this fender?

fromiphone362-1.jpg

well i did the standard hack to end up with this... the chome's not perfect but it'll get me out the door...

fromiphone634.jpg

Judging by your garage you don't look like a newb! I'm working on a cb350 myself now, so I'll be following along with interest

got a little polishing and blasting done...

wasn't happy with the scratch so i got another one i'll polish up later..

fromiphone247.jpg

blasted stuff looks sooooo good, but this stuff is gonna get painted....

fromiphone377.jpg

fromiphone375.jpg

Nice work so far man. Keep it up. I love a good 350!

pulled the CB360 forks apart that i got so i could swap a front disc onto the bike...

fromiphone637.jpg

managed to gouge the outer sealing surface when i was taking the old seals out. i got it smoothed out enough that i think it'll still work. i highly recommend anyone who's doing this job to go to the local auto supply place and buy a seal puller... i got one (after it was too late) for $9.99...

fromiphone640.jpg

and here they are all ready to be rebuilt with new freakin' everythings for inside!

fromiphone654.jpg

i cut away all the old plastic skins from the wiring harness and used that snap on cover instead. made it tidier for sure...

fromiphone656.jpg

fromiphone657.jpg

Nice job so far! You've made it much further than me much faster...
What did you use to blast your trees? (what media)

**and did you blast your lower fork sliders?

wheels! i started out with the rear hub that came with the bike and the front hub from the 360 front end i bought...

fromiphone395.jpg

fromiphone612.jpg

got the hubs blasted, bought stainless spokes and nipples and shouldered alloy rims from Buchanan's

fromiphone619.jpg

and laced them up... oh ya, in spite of how it sounds, 'lubing your nipples' isn't as fun as you might think...

fromiphone621.jpg

and i threw on some battleaxes... i know many of you will disagree with having a non-traditional tread pattern, but i raced on bridgestones and i've had 'em on a few of my street bikes so i decided to stick with something i knew to be sticky!

fromiphone649.jpg

HerrDeacon said:
Great work on the headers.
I see we have similar tastes in bikes. I have a CB350 and a SFV650, similar to your collection ;D
thanks! ya, the sv is my race bike....

66replica said:
It's the threads I learn the most in because we all make beginner mistakes and ask a lot of questions.
Looks like it's going to be a fun one. Any tank or seat plans? The new exhaust looks nice, I assume you can weld? If so you've got one up on me!
ya, i've been asking lots and makin' mistakes all along!
i haven't welded for years and i don't have a welder so the exhaust was me telling my buddy 'weld here... now weld here', but it sorta worked!

lhpegram said:
Nice job so far! You've made it much further than me much faster...
What did you use to blast your trees? (what media)
**and did you blast your lower fork sliders?
it's time lapse photography! shhh! i'm slower than hell! all the blasting was old glass bead. not my rig unfortunately... the suburban garage builder like me doesn't usually get cool gear like blasters!
yes, fork sliders were blasted and then painted. the hubs were just blasted and i was in love with the look but from what i've read i'm gonna be sorry that i didn't paint them because they're gonna grab dirt like a swiffer...

Keep it up man, I'm lovin' the modern tires

ok, so i looked at the 530 chain these things come with and thought, wow, that's the size i have on my 140hp street bike... i think i can get by with something smaller... so i pissed around on the mighty interweb and discovered that the SL version of this bike came with a 520 chain... so i ordered up new sprockets hoping that they'd have the same spline at the front and cush drive spacing at the back... score!

so now i gotta make up the lost thickness on the rear hub... i got two extra of the big ass washer that goes in there and lovingly thinned one down to match the gap... what a pita!

fromiphone643.jpg

fromiphone645.jpg

so that's all good, but have any of you tried to put that crazy big circlip on or off? i ended up having to make a tool to do it... worked great, but i'm sure there's a better way?

fromiphone647.jpg

so half way there! i have NO idea how i'm going to get the front sprocket attached... stay tuned!

Back
Top Bottom