1979 Moto Guzzi V50 II Cafe

Re: Moto Guzzi V50 II Cafe

I started working on the tank, doing a mod to replace the huge ugly plastic fuel cap cover with a metal LeMans replica cap. Ill post this up when done.

The other thing I need to do was work on the front fender...

The bike came with a plastic fender (red, left), and amongst the spares that came with the bike when I got it was this steel fender. So, firstly, the steel fender can be cut down and I can roll the edge to make it look good, as opposed to cutting the plastic, and the mounting bracket is also pressed steel, which, when bolted into place forms a rigid body, making the forks more rigid... Am I right? This to my mind is a performance upgrade? Had it powdercoated.

Dale_Fender_01.jpg

Dale_Fender_11.jpg

Dale_Fender_04.jpg

So if you look at my concept image, the fender is cut down substantially. Its not meant to be functional. Its an aesthetic component for the most part...
In my drawing here, its also super snug on the tire. I *do* actually want this, - - the stock bracket used lifts the fender about an inch off the tire. Easy enough to drop it by making new holes, I'll see later, when the fender is fitted...

DaleBestV50_WIP_Red.jpg

So from a visual perspective, I wanted the leading edge of the fender to start at exactly half way on the wheel, perpendicular to the ground...
Measured it up.

Dale_Fender_05.jpg

I wanted the side I cut down to match the other side, so made a template by wetting a piece of paper and wrapping it around the end I wanted to emulate...

Dale_Fender_02.jpg

When dry, I had a paper replica to trace off from...

Dale_Fender_03.jpg

Cut.

Dale_Fender_06.jpg

Roll.

Dale_Fender_08.jpg

Tweak.

Dale_Fender_07.jpg

Done.

Dale_Fender_09.jpg

Its going to be painted, so the small marks and beating will easily be sorted with some light filler...
A nice quick job, but another tick off on the to do list....

Re: Moto Guzzi V50 II Cafe Update

Thanks Hoosier! Its going to be a challenge fitting it without scratching the new paint... its plenty tight.

I'm busy rebuilding the calipers and upgrading the braking system currently. Ill probably post that up next, just waiting on a delivery of seals for the F05 Brembos...

Also starting tearing down the bike so that frame and various other components can go in for powder.

That means I can start on final assembly!

Re: Moto Guzzi V50 II Cafe Update

Thanks alexmac, its "ok" - good enough as its going to be painted. :)

The calipers, as with every other component on this machine is well past its sel by date. The old Italian guy who rode this this little bike from home to work and back every day for close on 20 + years and who clocked up 80 000km ( 50 000 miles ) made good use of the bike! :) Everything is worn. After he died, it stood for about 5 years outside. So the elements, time and use put its toll on this old gal.

It gives me a good feeling to be putting it back on the road again, and with maintenance, it should be running more than another 35 years before it needs a rebuild like this one... I hope.

Calipers

These earlier F05 Brembos came with chrome pistons. They were susceptible to rust. Knowing this I ordered the better anodised versions some time back. What I forgotten about was seals, so I ordered 3 sets the other day. Been a delay from the supplier, but I should have them next week or so.

Calipers_00.jpg

Cracked them open, and as you can see, they are in pretty rough shape!

Calipers_01.jpg

Calipers_02.jpg

Now, normally you get some air in there and push out the pistons that way. Not this time, they were too rusted in. So with a little heat and some gentle persuasion, making sure not to damage the cylinders, they came out easy enough. Cleaned up and are ready for some paint.

Calipers_03.jpg

New Brembo anodised pistons ready for fitment.

Calipers_04.jpg

Calipers_05.jpg

And this is what Im waiting on:

The kits come with nice new bolts as well which saves me having to clean up the old ones. :)

R39659000-1.jpg

R39659100-1.jpg

Once Ive got everything Ill post up the finished job.

Thanks Dale...for the go ahead :) I put some pics of when I got her to start

Hey Dale, U think the fender will be a tight fit? Wait till you have to fit the front wheel in without marring the forks with the rotors while fumbling with the spacers and speedo drive...pain in the balls!

PS, I flipped the legs to get the calipers on the proper side...the back

v-pilot said:
Hey Dale, U think the fender will be a tight fit? Wait till you have to fit the front wheel in without marring the forks with the rotors while fumbling with the spacers and speedo drive...pain in the balls!

Yup I fitted that stuff some time back, and its optimal in terms of space usage, to say the least. Super compact.

Filler Cap

This Moto Guzzi was designed just close enough to the 80's to have fallen victim to the big plastic blocky stuff that started featuring on the motorcycles of the period.

Tank_01.jpg

Tank_02.jpg

So I got this Stainless steel LeMans replica filler cap.

Tank_08.jpg

Tank_04.jpg

This meant some modification to the tank.

Tank_06.jpg

Tank_07.jpg

Tank_05.jpg

It needs a little tidying up, but its all functional, and sealing properly.
Took about 4 hours to do.

Edit > And the cap also needed to be modified slightly...

Hi Dale,

Love your work.

I've been lurking for too long - registered this morning - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=40103.msg438087#msg438087.

Last weekend I collected a V50 in sad cosmetic condition - paid more for the trip than the bike. Found out we live within visiting distance so if you don't mind, I'll make contact.

Regards,
Papa Smurf in Germiston, Sunny South Africa

Thanks guys! (Papasmurf, I replied on your new member thread...)

The tank, side covers (yup, I'm going with them for now), and the front fender are ready for paint. Hopefully going in next week. That's the plan.

Still don't know what color I'm going with though.... its narrowed down to Black or Red at this point.

Red feels like the obvious choice, always has, but thing is, ALL my bikes are red, and a change would be cool. But not sure if that's a good enough reason.

So here it is in plain red and plain black...
The plain paint scheme feels nice and classical to me.

Dale_blkandred.jpg

And potentially a simple stripe down the middle... It definitely lightens up the tone, but not sure I want that...

Dale_Red.jpg

Dale_DarkGreyBlue.jpg

Instead of black, here's a more dark blue grey close to black - maybe a bit more interesting...

Just for fun, here's yellow:

Dale_Yel.jpg

Edit > And green:

Dale_Grn.jpg

I'm probably still going to be going red?/black?/red?/black? when I drop the stuff off at the painter...

I am in the same boat when it comes to paint, sir.

Hmmmm.... I vote red, and I don't even like red. Ha.

My choice would be Red, but leave the covers in black.
Maybe even put the number 79 on the covers, like on the numberplate

Moto Guzzi V50 II Cafe

My vote would be for the red with the white stripe. The world has enough bikes painted black.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hey Dale, Tough dilemma! My 2 Le Mans are red/white and the Duc is of course red. So was the same for me. Yes I prefer Italian bikes in red and British sports cars in green but...I went with a change...a V50 Scura (dark in Italian) Matte black with the red accents as seen in my wheel pics...motor pics coming next week.

I'm in with Hoosier Daddy...dare to be different. The bike is a radical departure...paint it to match!

Back
Top Bottom