www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: New CB350 Project - Back Breaker  (Read 31495 times)

Offline boisdarc

Re: New CB350 Project - Ball Breaker
« Reply #30 on: Jan 28, 2011, 19:24:13 »
First, I love net warriors-but I've never met one in person. Having said that, I understand what you mean-a large empty void section of a traditional hard tail DOES look like crap. DRAGON from JJ always harped on that. You can fill that section with your electronics or battery or even an external oil filter or whatever. Some people(myself included) think that a non traditional hardtail made from a swing arm looks kind of lame and half way done. I think that the folks here looked at your pictures and their initial glance made them think that your hardtail is not structurally sound and they were trying to look out for your best interest. Everyone here that I have pm'ed or im'ed has been more than helpful and polite.
if I can I only buy rearden steel and danconia copper.

Offline overdraft

« Reply #31 on: Jan 28, 2011, 19:45:06 »
When did this turn into caferacer.net ?
HAHAHAHA! this made my day! i gave up over there cuz they seem to take pleasure in cutting people down.

i'm a cafe guy so i rarely roam over here, but if this is the bob and chop section then chop away! interesting stuff!
ceebeetreefiddee... here's my li'l build thread... http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=21812.0

Offline fastbroshi

« Reply #32 on: Jan 28, 2011, 19:53:47 »
I doubt you're using this thing for land speed records or to rail at the track.  You should be fine as long as the integrity of your welds is solid and your tires/wheels are sound.  And I'm sure you're addressing the forks and steering bearings.   If you were bobbing a Schwinn frame I'd be concerned however.
Yup, you're gay.

Offline dynamitedave

• dcclassiccycles.com
    • dcclassiccycles.com
« Reply #33 on: Jan 30, 2011, 10:56:26 »
I looked at the bikes on caferacer.com.  They are fugly.  My bike is pretty.

I did some sheet metal work around the seat pan.  I mounted the brackets that hold the electronic components that I need.  I also put in some gussets. 

Offline blue44067

« Reply #34 on: Jan 30, 2011, 12:59:38 »
my bike has a "half assed hard tail" too, just struts welded to my swinger and to the seat bars I really like your design. What is that tank from? One thing I've noticed with mine is that the back wheel seems to wander under the bike at high speed on gravel roads. I think its because I haven't welded the swing arm to the frame, and my struts are too small in diameter. Anyways, I like the look you've got going there.

Offline KeninIowa

• frmly IAGSXR
« Reply #35 on: Jan 30, 2011, 13:11:43 »
Considering some of what I've seen it's hard to understand why this bike started the unsafe dogpile.

SO safety dudes, assuming proper welding/fitment techniques, where's the fail point of the hardtail?

I can't tell from the pics how well the neck's tied back in.   That's the much larger issue, but I get from this the OP at least understands the concept;

the backbone is welded in the neck along with added supports, it's welded to the existing pressed sheet metal frame and tied into the main structure with added support.  The sheet metal I used is the same gauge or thicker than the existing sheet metal.  It's much stronger than a stock frame which it needs to be since this is a hard tail.

I agree stock rake/stretched hardtaills look silly.

Offline Dead Bound

• 5'6" piece of twisted steel and sex appeal
« Reply #36 on: Jan 30, 2011, 19:32:37 »
I looked at the bikes on caferacer.com.  They are fugly.  My bike is pretty.

I didn't mean anything about your bike.  I meant the people on there are less than helpful when it comes to a build.         
Opeulence, I has it.
78 550K in pieces now.
84 Sporty 883 in the weeds.

Offline dynamitedave

• dcclassiccycles.com
    • dcclassiccycles.com
« Reply #37 on: Jan 30, 2011, 22:33:47 »
my bike has a "half assed hard tail" too, just struts welded to my swinger and to the seat bars I really like your design. What is that tank from? One thing I've noticed with mine is that the back wheel seems to wander under the bike at high speed on gravel roads. I think its because I haven't welded the swing arm to the frame, and my struts are too small in diameter. Anyways, I like the look you've got going there.

I think hard tails would tend to wonder on gravel most of the time.  Your struts look a little narrow.  I would use the same thickness tube as most of the frame.  Lower rear tire pressure and a well balanced tire may help with the wondering of the tire.  The tank on my bike is a stock '70-71 CB350 tank with a 2" section removed from the middle horizontally. 

Offline Ringo

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #38 on: Jan 31, 2011, 06:34:13 »

There could be several causes for this, but... did you replace the swing arm bushings when you got the bike?  Worn bushings will give you a sloppy rear end.  Welding the swing arm to the frame could help if this was your problem.  Please do not deflate your tires.  Underinflated tires can cause tire failure.
Chris

Offline dynamitedave

• dcclassiccycles.com
    • dcclassiccycles.com
« Reply #39 on: Jan 31, 2011, 23:05:14 »
I need some parts.  I am looking for a disk brake front rim with little to no rust and forks that are disk brake compatible and have little to no rust.  Anyone have any extras?