360 swiftly

O yea!

093351a2.jpg

Re: 360 swiftly (VM30's!!!!!!)

I put the mikuni's on last weekend and the bike started up nice. The jets are way to big, but even with that the throttle response compared to the vacuum diaphragm carbs is amazing.

The carbs are vm30's and I have found a decent amount of info on how to tune them but no real concrete answers.
I will be starting with this:

Main jet 145
Pilot 23

I still don't really know where to start on the needle and needle jet. I have heard that you can get the tuning with a primary type needle jet (#159) really close even though a four stroke is supposed to use a bleed type (#176).

Kiley uses a primary type p-0 #159 jet and a #6DH4 needle on his Gretta project.

Thats the only info for the needle/ jet that I have for a 360. I have to do some more research before I start dropping 10 bucks a piece on needle jets.

Some of my resources:

http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/vmmanual.pdf

http://www.sudco.com/vol34/sudco34cat.pdf

.jordan said:
are you running any kind of fender?

I will probably run a front fender once I decide how I want to chop the stock one down. Not going to run a rear.

I like what you did with mounting your gauges. Mine are sitting too high compared to my clip-ons, and I want to lower them, but after looking at your pictures, they look like the angle would be hard to see when riding? Any thoughts on it? If its not that bad, I'll definitely give your idea a try.

I don't think the angle is that bad, but it did take some getting used too. Then again I don't spend to much time looking down.
Here is another angle.
IMG_0062.jpg

You need to rotate tach so 'red line' is facing 1:0 o'clock position.
As it is now, 'normal' running is about 3,500 rpm ;D

i just got mikunis for my 360 w/ pod filters,chopped off mufflers, and mini baffles. i'm not sure what size needle or needle jet i've got but my main is a 200 and my idle is a 20. seems to work pretty well. i got the pre-jetted kit from dime city and the only things i changed were the idle jet from 25 to 20 and the needle placement from the middle to the leanest position.

hope that helps.

johnny gaijin said:
i just got mikunis for my 360 w/ pod filters,chopped off mufflers, and mini baffles. i'm not sure what size needle or needle jet i've got but my main is a 200 and my idle is a 20. seems to work pretty well. i got the pre-jetted kit from dime city and the only things i changed were the idle jet from 25 to 20 and the needle placement from the middle to the leanest position.

hope that helps.

Thanks for the info!

I put in my 25 pilot and 145 main over the weekend, and spent some time getting the idle tuned in. I took it for a spin around the block and I can say that the bike feels so much better than it ever did with the stock carbs. It starts so much easier too I may be getting rid of the starter soon! I know I still need to dial in the tuning some more, but I am relieved that I am starting out from a point much better than what I had with the stock Keihins.

I am going to do some more riding before I decide what needles / needle jets to go with as they are not cheap!

Andoor...how again did you mount your electrical bits? Are they mounted to the bottom of the seat? I see two of them on the side of the battery but wasn't sure where you put them all. I am currently working on a small tray to house them just below my seat from the frame rails. Just trying to get some ideas/inspiration. The bike looks great, keep it up!

Thanks!

The electronics were all painted black and mounted on the outside of my battery box. The regulator and rectifier on the right, the fuse box on the left, and the starter solenoid is mounted on the front between the air filters. I think there are some pictures earlier in the thread.

I soon may be doing what I originally wanted and hide them all under the seat between the frame rails. Now that with the new carbs I really don't need the electric start and the huge battery anymore.

Awesome work man! I love the seat...

The more and more I am seeing flat seat like that, the more I am loving them! Thanks for the tuning info on the carbs. I have VM30s too...but my bike has yet to purrrrrrrr

Carbs are not quite there yet but I feel like I am pretty close event with the wrong type of needle jet. I had the needle one clip from the leanest position and the mid range was pretty good. Anything past 3/4 throttle was a mess, way to rich. I just ordered some 140 mains I will see if that helps.

I am worried about how much the ambient air temperature plays a roll in the tuning. Its been about 50°F on all of my tuning sessions. I will probably be super rich when the nice weather moves in. We will see...

So the shit hit the fan last weekend. The bike was running fine (minus some jetting in the mid - top end range) until I took it for a decent length ride and really got her up to temp. Now the idle doesn’t go below 2k and the bike is running like crap. I have narrowed the issue down to carb boots leaking or the spark advancer springs are worn out. The boots look pretty bad I guess I overlooked that, and the advancer moves really easy. We will see…

I have been itching to get this thing fully road ready for so long. It’s a little irritating but there are not many 35 year old parts left on the bike. So the issues should come to an end soon. Hopefully.
While I am at it I am going to replace the original coils. One of the only major things left to replace.

In the meantime I am in the process of getting a 92 katana 600 for super cheap. It will be a nice commuter bike and scratch the riding itch. It may also be a new project once the Honda is reliable. I do have an extra cb360 parts bike laying around… GSX-CB600F :)

how did you check your boots. I have heard 2 ways, 1 spray carb cleaner on them while its running and se iw it changes the idle speed. 2 use a propane torch (un-lit) and blow propane on the boots if they leak the bike will rev.

ffjmoore said:
how did you check your boots. I have heard 2 ways, 1 spray carb cleaner on them while its running and se iw it changes the idle speed. 2 use a propane torch (un-lit) and blow propane on the boots if they leak the bike will rev.

Didn't try yet I was going by visual inspection. They are definitely cracking, I was told to use WD40 and spray the boot / observe change in idle speed. I think the WD40 will lower the idle if there is a leak. Propane sounds interesting I may try that too. I will let you know after tomorrow.

I've realised what you did with clocks, I put holders on 'wrong' sides to get them closer together and came up with same thing.
Going to make a completely new bracket as they sit too high

Back
Top Bottom