www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: 71 CB350 Project (Sold!)  (Read 36072 times)

Offline jonnyTHUNDERmaker

Re: 71 CB350 Project
« Reply #30 on: Mar 09, 2011, 20:59:02 »
Got the Mikuni VM30's finally

I installed them using the stock rubber mounts. I just threw the mounts in warm water for a little bit and squeezed the carbs on. They are nice and snug, and feel really solid.

Is there any reason why this is a bad idea? Or is there a reason I need to buy new rubber mounts?

Offline CBdublin

« Reply #31 on: Mar 10, 2011, 22:44:22 »
man those carbs are nice. I know everyone gets the 30 but until i have them i will always be jealous. that price was pretty nice to. I always see them for 200$ or even $300. I plan on doing the same paint job on my rims so it will be nice to see them. My chrome is still nice but my spokes look a little dull. hope you get it running soon.

« Reply #32 on: Mar 12, 2011, 05:06:38 »
Made some progress finally.

Put 145 Mains in my Mikuni VM30's (So easy to do, I already love these things)

Chopped both front and back fenders (Good old hacksaw and elbow grease)

Covered my seat (It turned out ok, first time doing something like that and in total cost just under $30)

Clear coated my tank and got it all ready to go (Need to find one front rubber mount)

Got my levers in and hooked up the cables

Still waiting on more parts. (For some reason DCC is taking FOREVER)

Was hoping to fire her up this weekend, but I dont have any filters yet. VM30's use 57mm, is this correct?

Still need to order:
Chain
Throttle assembly and cable
Taillight
Pod Filters
Like 5 rear spokes
Shifter rubber
Mufflers
Tires
Tank Decals
Four bolts that hold the rear sprocket on (PO somehow ground these up nice and good, and they are a mess)
Clubmans, Bar end mirrors, etc,etc

Do I need to get #176 Style Bleed Type Needle jets?

Thats it for now.

Offline overdraft

« Reply #33 on: Mar 12, 2011, 21:21:18 »
lookin' good! nice work! i think you made my mind up on the vm30's finding out that you can use the stock carb boots... hopefully you'll have the jetting sorted out by the time i catch up with you and you can let me know what you ended up with!
ceebeetreefiddee... here's my li'l build thread... http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=21812.0

Re: 71 CB350 Project (SHE'S ALIVE)
« Reply #34 on: Mar 18, 2011, 02:32:54 »
HOLY CRAP....SHE JUST FIRED UP AND IDLED PERFECTLY!!!!!!!!!!! I nearly crapped my pants when I cranked the throttle.

Did a decent amount of work tonight. Got my parts in finally.

Put my pod filters on.
Installed my throttle cable and lubed it a bit.
Ran all the fuel lines and fuel filters.
Messed with the electrical a bit.

After a few kick she ROARED to life. I almost had a heart attack. After who knows how many years, she was purring.

Dang it, its 12:30 AM, and I have neighbors with little kids.

Right now I have to fix a leaky petcock and install the chain.
I grabbed my phone to shoot a video, but she ran out of gas. I will get right back to running her first thing in the morning.

Offline overdraft

Re: 71 CB350 Project (SHE'S ALIVE!!!!)
« Reply #35 on: Mar 18, 2011, 12:41:35 »
congratulations! 145 mains you say? i just ordered a set of mikuni vm30s so hearing that your bike is running that seems like a good starting place!
ceebeetreefiddee... here's my li'l build thread... http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=21812.0

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #36 on: Mar 18, 2011, 12:49:54 »
Running in the garage can be done with the main jets out.  Size of the mains isn't important until you have the throttle cranked under load.

I'd get the filters and mufflers fitted and then take it for a run to get a sense of where the carburation is. Try to get it on a dyno with gas analysis to set up jetting.  It's much easier and quicker than any other way to get close.

« Reply #37 on: Mar 18, 2011, 14:48:10 »
Thanks for the input. I'll look into that. Unfortunately I am stuck working all weekend.

Offline CBdublin

« Reply #38 on: Mar 19, 2011, 20:22:47 »
that is awesome she fired up. i remember last year when mine did. good luck with the other parts. at least you have one of the most expensive parts of the build taken care of with the new carbs. the clubmans and other things like that run pretty cheap on ebay.

Offline B L A K E

• "Against All Odds".
    • My build thread
« Reply #39 on: Mar 23, 2011, 22:07:08 »
Wow great progress while i was gone mate!!! Fantastic job. I decided to stay with my Keihins... as they will run fine... But Im glad ur mikunis work good.