www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: 71 CB350 Project (Sold!)  (Read 36238 times)

Offline jonnyTHUNDERmaker

Re: 71 CB350 Project
« Reply #20 on: Mar 01, 2011, 23:58:09 »
Finally another update!

Since last time:

This project is slowly coming together

Completely stripped the tank to bare metal with aircraft stripper (that stuff does some serious work), as the first attempt at the tank wasn't acceptable. Got it all painted back up, and it is currently drying. Then I will give it a good clear coat. Used Rustoleum Hammered for the gray. It gives a pretty cool orange peel texture.

Got some of the engine covers primed and painted

Finished the seat pan, now I have to find a upholster. Unless someone knows a good cheap way to do it yourself, which I prefer.

Working on taping the wheels for paint. Planning on painting the spokes and hubs black and leaving the rims chrome at the moment. Anyone know a good place to buy some rear spokes? I think I have 4 or 5 I need to replace.

Got my carbs in like I said, but the knockoffs are turning out to be a pretty big pain as the mount on the carb is a flange, and not a spigot. So I think I will send them back and pick up some real Mikunis

Ordered some cables. Speedo, Tach, Front brake. (Got so fork seals in the mail instead of my speedo cable, so now I have to send it back and ask them to send the right thing. Bummer)

Finally ordered some parts from DCC: Headlight mounts, air filter pods, oil filter tool, on/off switch and a couple other things I think.

Still need quite a bit in the parts category though:
Different carbs now,
Clutch and Brake lever
Headlight on/off switch (so I can have it off when I start my bike)
Headlight high/low switch
Horn switch
Throttle control
Throttle cable for my Mikunis
Bar end mirrors
Carb jets for the Mikunis (any tips on which I would need, with pod filters)
Rear wheel spokes
Tires
LED Tailight

Slowly, but surely coming together. Thanks for all your help and input.

« Reply #21 on: Mar 02, 2011, 11:04:55 »
Blake: I am running with no starter or signals. As far as I know the majority of the battery was used for the electric starter. Also, I am planning on using and LED taillight and led gauge bulbs. I read a few other blogs of guys who were running with no starter. A 12v 3.3ah was about the average size they were all downsizing to. Plus its sealed and only 2.5x2.5x5 which fits perfectly where I have it.

Von: I will look into that throttle cable. Thanks

Offline B L A K E

• "Against All Odds".
    • My build thread
« Reply #22 on: Mar 02, 2011, 11:25:38 »
Blake: I am running with no starter or signals. As far as I know the majority of the battery was used for the electric starter. Also, I am planning on using and LED taillight and led gauge bulbs. I read a few other blogs of guys who were running with no starter. A 12v 3.3ah was about the average size they were all downsizing to. Plus its sealed and only 2.5x2.5x5 which fits perfectly where I have it.

Von: I will look into that throttle cable. Thanks

Thanks man. What size Air Pods did you use? can you send me the link of where you bought them?

« Reply #23 on: Mar 02, 2011, 12:03:29 »
Hey Blake,
 I ordered them from DimeCityCycles for $7.95. Click the banner above. I got the 39mm ones as the first carbs I ordered were that size. I am about to purchase some real Mikuni VM30, so I hope they fit. Either way, they have a few different sizes and good at a good price.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-streetfighter-motorcycle-parts-airfilter-pod-k-and-n-39mm-12-55739.html

DCC has a lot of good stuff.

Offline B L A K E

• "Against All Odds".
    • My build thread
« Reply #24 on: Mar 03, 2011, 21:14:43 »
Hey Blake,
 I ordered them from DimeCityCycles for $7.95. Click the banner above. I got the 39mm ones as the first carbs I ordered were that size. I am about to purchase some real Mikuni VM30, so I hope they fit. Either way, they have a few different sizes and good at a good price.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-streetfighter-motorcycle-parts-airfilter-pod-k-and-n-39mm-12-55739.html

DCC has a lot of good stuff.

Thanks man, tell me where you get your real mikunis,as i am in the market for some!

« Reply #25 on: Mar 04, 2011, 02:46:57 »
Blake,
I just ordered some this morning from phatperformanceparts.com for about $160 shipped. A lot of place have them and some for a little bit cheaper, but most are out of stock and backordered right now.

When I ordered these their site said they would ship in 1-2 days. So I ordered them, a little bit later I got an email saying that the carbs where on backorder for 1-3 weeks. So I canceled my order

A little bit later I got a call from a guy that works there saying he dug around and found one of their distributers that still had a couple and said he would have them send them to me direct. So that's cool. Of course I told him I wanted them. Now I am anxiously awaiting the carbs.

I just have to start doing some research on the right jets for my set up, etc.

Offline B L A K E

• "Against All Odds".
    • My build thread
« Reply #26 on: Mar 06, 2011, 21:50:47 »
when you find out exactly what you will need to make all your carbs work:
Manifolds, clamps, ect... please tell me because i hate digging around and you are already doing this.

Thanks in advance
-blake

« Reply #27 on: Mar 07, 2011, 00:42:33 »
Sure thing,
Not a problem. I'll do that. I am currently scouring the internet looking for good info on jet setup etc. I'll post what I find.

Offline VonYinzer

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #28 on: Mar 07, 2011, 09:10:40 »
All the info ya need is here on DTT. Y ajust have to dig a bit.
Like a river that don't know where it's flowin'
I took a wrong turn and just kept goin'

« Reply #29 on: Mar 07, 2011, 23:38:28 »
Quick update...
Nothing to exciting:

Got both the front and back wheels painted (spokes and hubs). Rims were left chrome.

Got a few parts in. (Tach cable, Front brake cable)

Still waiting for my Mikuni vm30's (supposed to be here Wed), headlight brackets, oil filter tool, horn, sweet mini headlight high/low/off and horn switch, brake and clutch levers.

Thinking about ordering these cool bar end mirrors. What do you all think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250404485822&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Also sold a bunch of parts I'm not using today and made $130!!! (which will be thrown right back into the bike) ;D  Always a plus!