Winterizing the old jap bitch!

Fear My Twin

Chicks hate my bike.
Figured theres no better forum to ask about winter than one with a ton of our northern brothers.

Just making sure I have all the steps correct.

1. Fresh oil/ filter.
2. Full tank of gas + stabil
3. Tires off ground
4. Tin foil in exhaust pipes
5. WD-40 Mist on rustable parts
6. Battery float charger
7. Carbs inside/ foil in ports.

Missing anything? Someone told me to take off the spark plugs and mist the cylinders with misting oil and crank over the engine a few times. Sound right?

Thanks guys!

ya forgot:
- drain the float bowls
- pull the battery and stick it in on a Battery charger/maintainer.
- pick up some paint & rattlecan your helmet ;D (since theres nothing else to do... ;D)

WOW, you've got more steps there than the Tango!! ;D

locOleoN said:
ya forgot:
- drain the float bowls
- pull the battery and stick it in on a Battery charger/maintainer.
- pick up some paint & rattlecan your helmet ;D (since theres nothing else to do... ;D)

WOW, you've got more steps there than the Tango!! ;D

Dude if the carbs are in the house, the drain float bowl thing is sorta passe.

You tango? Video evidence please!

My winterizing routine is much simpler. Shoot some Seafoam into the tank and ride the bike every couple of weeks :) I manage to ride every month in Toronto.

Sta-bil in the tank. Run the carbs dry. STP gas treatment & charge the battery in the spring. I removed batteries & stored them in my cellar last winter for the first time ever.

Scarcat said:
Dude if the carbs are in the house, the drain float bowl thing is sorta passe.
You tango? Video evidence please!

Prepping a bike for the winter is like a doing the tango with a sexy lady... ;D
[youtube=425,350]DEwZIufmafo[/youtube]

I do the same as Tin pretty much, some stabil just in case, but I'll at least take her around the neighborhood once a week, or at least start it. I keep a battery tender hooked up too...

You need to get it up to operating temp if you're going to run it. Starting it from time to time actually does more damage. You need to get the oil warmed up and circulating to make it worthwhile.

Just wanted to add that I asked my buddy (Harley mechanic who worked at a Yamaha dealership for a year) if I should drain the carbs as was mentioned above - He said no. Told me it could cause corrosion, as there'd be airspace in the bowls.

I'm sure different mechanics will tell you different things - but he is an MMI grad.

Anyway he said to put stabil in the fuel, run the motor for 5-10 mins to insure that the fuel in the carbs has the stabil in it, and to top off the tank all the way up.

This advice, of course, is for those of you who don't plan on taking the carbs off of the bike, or hammering clip-on indents into the front of your tank. 8)

I still plan on draining ALL fluids and taking the thing apart.

I've always wondered about this subject , not only for winterizing but for long term storage. My wife's uncle has a pretty cool assortment of old restored bikes, just sitting in his basement shop, he hasn't started a few of them in years. I would've thought it would be good to run them once in a while but the moisture produced through combustion was his reasoning not to fire them up every once in a while....

So should I be running the bike after I sta-biling the gas? Or just leave the bike alone. I really dont feel like fighting with the bike to make her run lol.

Fear My Twin said:
So should I be running the bike after I sta-biling the gas? Or just leave the bike alone. I really dont feel like fighting with the bike to make her run lol.

Run it till the bowls have the stabil-fuel in them instead of just gas.

Back
Top Bottom