welding alloy cylinder fin help? REPAIR COMPLETE

swan

Kickstart, shift on right, drum brakes and spokes
DTT BOTM WINNER
I need advice on repairing a broken alloy cylinder head fin for my BSA Gold Star.
What type of rod should my welder use? Any tips or specific techniques? I have a donor fin from a cylinder and am bring it to a local welding shop tonight. Keyword searches on this forum offer generic advice or specific advice for cast iron, but little on alloy other than to weld it.
_MG_6498-Version2.jpg

_MG_6499-Version2.jpg

Re: welding alloy cylinder fin help?

Check out this stuff:

http://www.alumiweld.com/

I have not personally used it but my neighbor swears by it. He says it's amazing, strong, and pretty much everything they crack it up to be. Funny you reminded me that I have to grab a stick of it from him for a similar fin repair. If I get to it first I'll let you know how it goes.

cast vintage alloy is a pain in the arse,i have used 4043 to repair/fill in bsa primary chaincases and gearbox cover it works well. you will see it is a good general filler rod accross most al.

http://www.alcotec.com/us/en/support/upload/Aluminum_Filler_Alloy_Selection_Chart.pdf

the best advice is to be super retentive about fit up of the replacement fin, pre burning some of the garbage out with oxy/acet.,plenty of acetone and pre heating

yep, clean it all really good, it looks very dirty right now. you should make the doner fin fit properly yourself before you take it anywhere. smooth the head part and the new fin part so they fit nicely together. Im sure the welder guy will have the correct rod for aluminum. Then go at it with a dremel and a grinder until it looks seamless.

Great, thanks everyone! My welder is certified, experienced, likes old bikes and this is probably simple stuff to him, but new to me. I will bead blast, clean, prep the fin and broken area and will grind, clean and blend the repair. I'll post my results.

The cylinder head fin repair is done.

This is the first time I have repaired a broken fin and here is how we did it.

The original broken fin was long gone, so I tried a donor fin from a trashed Triumph cylinder barrel, but it had iron in it (magnetic) and will not weld to aluminum alloy. So I picked up a broken BSA A65 head for $20 on e-bay and snapped off a donor fin.
_MG_6498-Version2.jpg

Before
_MG_6561-Version2.jpg

organ, errrr, fin donor

Using a cardboard template as a guide, I shaped the donor fin to the approximate size, though a bit oversized so the excess will be ground off once affixed to the cylinder.
IMAG0224.jpg

Both the donor fin and the broken cylinder fin edges were beveled with a grinder, bead blasted and cleaned with a stainless brush and acetone. My welder Pat and I used scraps and clamps to position the fin and he ground out a little channel on the top scrap corresponding with the joint so that the weld bead went completely through the top fin.
IMAG0236.jpg

Pat worked his magic with his TIG welder and 4043 aluminum rod. We also welded a 4” hairline crack in my inner primary cover.
IMAG0171-Version2.jpg

IMAG0237.jpg

Immediately after welding, the cylinder head was wrapped in insulation and let sit over night to cool down slowly, avoiding thermal shock and any possible cracks or breaks. Once cooled, the excess weld was ground off and then hand sanded.
IMAG0250.jpg

I will bead blast the joint to give it some texture like the original sandcast. Vapor blasting will give the repaired area a uniform finish. The repair looks very good, but not perfect for the donor fin differs slightly in thickness from the original, but finding a donor Gold Star fin is not possible.
_MG_6569-Version2.jpg

The patient is recovering nicely.

HerrDeacon, No worries, this is what this forum is all about.

wow great repair job Swan you should link this up with your build! sure the guys following your build would want to see this, awesome job!

Back
Top Bottom