www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: gdavid's XV 920  (Read 1942 times)

Offline gdavid

Re: gdavid's XV 920
« Reply #10 on: Oct 23, 2014, 09:56:36 »
I turned down the shoulder on the hub that prevented the coupler from the 920 from seating on the 535 hub. I laced rear wheel back up and scratched my newly painted rim pretty badly with the ends of the spokes. It was a dry run and I was planning on putting some more paint on the rim anyway but it was still a dissapointment. It really was an awkward job and the outer spokes on the drive side flange seem a about 1/8" longer than they need to be. I'm going to dissassembly it carefully and try another dry run before repainting the rim.

I changed the bearings in the xs 650 front hub from the stock size of 17mm x 47mm x 14mm to 15mm x 47mm x 14 and the new front wheel mounts right up on the stock front 920 axle. For the rear bearings I ordered some 17mm x 42 mm x 13mm bearings to allow me to use the stock 920 rear axle, it isn't an easy size to find and when they arrived I realized they were not sealed or shielded. I'm considering whether to pack the hub with grease and put a nylon washer on the outside of each bearing to serve as a shield or keep shopping. For some reason that bearing is readily available in England in a sealed version, I will probably bite the bullet and go that route.

I'll get some pics up soon.

Offline gdavid

« Reply #11 on: Oct 23, 2014, 21:40:42 »

This last photo shows the shoulder/collar machined down to accept the coupler from the 920

Then I just pulled it all apart.

Offline repair

• TR1 1984
« Reply #12 on: Aug 07, 2017, 08:38:28 »
My new spokes for my rear wheel arrived so I finally pulled the wheel apart to clean up the hub and paint the rim. The hub looked like oxidized aluminum but it actually had a dull gray paint on it. I am going with polished hubs front and back so it had to come off. This is what it looked like before and after. Still a bit more to go but much closer. The 15 inch DID chrome rim had a fair amount of rust. It will be painted black but the chrome is almost salvageable.

I'm from Norway so my English is poor
I wonder what kind of bearings you used to get down to 15mm axle dim
and where i can bay them

Offline Ryan Stecken

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #13 on: Aug 07, 2017, 10:11:11 »
Keep up the good work man!I love the RD tank!