www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: CB450x  (Read 1358 times)

Offline coyote13

Re: CB450x
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2017, 11:23:15 »
With the added benefit of running the hoses a bit more discreetly over the head/under the tank instead of across the front
Half the fun's in the get there...

« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2017, 13:47:24 »
Putting the radiator in the tail was considered but I decided to mount it under the lower frame rails.
An aluminum belly pan is in the works, tricky aerodynamics will be the key here. Creating high pressure on top of the radiator via air ducts and fans while using the belly pan to create low pressure underneath. Once completed it will look really racy and should keep the bike cool.

These engines produce a ton of heat, anyone who's ridden a 450 knows they can't idle for long without spitting coolant out the overflow, especially with higher compression. Increased rad size is of the utmost importance and the tail did not have enough room without running a second radiator somewhere else.

Offline hillsy

« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2017, 20:19:29 »
Putting the radiator in the tail was considered but I decided to mount it under the lower frame rails.
An aluminum belly pan is in the works, tricky aerodynamics will be the key here. Creating high pressure on top of the radiator via air ducts and fans while using the belly pan to create low pressure underneath. Once completed it will look really racy and should keep the bike cool.

These engines produce a ton of heat, anyone who's ridden a 450 knows they can't idle for long without spitting coolant out the overflow, especially with higher compression. Increased rad size is of the utmost importance and the tail did not have enough room without running a second radiator somewhere else.

Putting it underneath the motor then covering it with a bash plate wont do anything to promote decent cooling. Just saying.

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2017, 21:54:05 »
Very wild build.  I dig it.
--
KZ400 The Rabbit
YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
65 Norton, My damn Shovelhead chop
more YZF750R's, the KZ's, a Zephyr750...and the unfinished 75' CB550 cafe.
--

« Reply #14 on: Nov 14, 2017, 01:34:14 »

Putting it underneath the motor then covering it with a bash plate wont do anything to promote decent cooling. Just saying.

Thanks, ill take it from here

Offline two-smoker

• I reject your reality, and substitute my own!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2017, 14:55:04 »
Before I start, I just have to say I'm not trying to bash.  It's a beautiful start.  I just wanted to say that,  aesthetically,  I don't really care for the long,  leading-axle front end. I realize how hard they are to come by- decent inverted front ends, that is- so if it's a run-what-you-brung situation,  I get it. Just saying,  something less... "kicked out" would really improve the look.
"I suppose I'd say.... BOLLOCKS! But that's pretty much a reflex for me."

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=21144.new#new

« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2017, 12:31:17 »
Before I start, I just have to say I'm not trying to bash.  It's a beautiful start.  I just wanted to say that,  aesthetically,  I don't really care for the long,  leading-axle front end. I realize how hard they are to come by- decent inverted front ends, that is- so if it's a run-what-you-brung situation,  I get it. Just saying,  something less... "kicked out" would really improve the look.

I really appreciate the response. The long term goal with the bike was always to go to a CBR front end. These forks work but the valving in them is completely wrong for the street, they're heavy, and aesthetically they're not very nice.