XS400 Brat: The Black and Brew

crush1776

Been Around the Block
DTT BOTM WINNER
So I wanted to have enough progress to be able to start my build thread with lots of pics up front so you don't have to look through 12 pages of banter to see whats going on so here goes:

As purchased:
xs2.jpg

After about an hour of dis assembly and throwing on some spares:

xs22.jpg

Obviously initially I was thinking cafe, this is technically for my girl and she didn't like the clubmans and wanted to be able to ride 2-up so it turned towards a bratstyle build pretty quickly.

Sourced an XS360 tank:

DSC00506.jpg

Made a rear frame loop:

DSC00502.jpg

DSC00501.jpg

MX Bars:

DSC00519.jpg

4.5" headlight:

DSC00547.jpg

Aluminum seat pan:

DSC00535.jpg

DSC00632.jpg

DSC00642.jpg

Walmart camping pad: idea from one of you blokes, thanks!

DSC00537.jpg

Custom seat cover fabbed up from an eBay guy for $30 (not stretched and glued/ riveted yet):

DSC00643.jpg

DSC00647.jpg

DSC00650.jpg

Next up is thorough cleaning and painting/ polishing, simplify the wiring and rig up a tail light and I have an 18" rear disc brake wheel that I'll probably swap out. Quick and dirty this go around.

I keep telling my girlfriend this is for her, but I think she's on to me! ;D

Ease said:
Great seat!

Looks kind of like a giant beaver-tail. Haha

That's ironic since half the time that is what will be sitting on the seat..."beaver-tail" that is...

Looks good man! If you get rid of that rear drum mag, lemme know! Id be interested in buying it from ya.

Thanks! You have first dibs on the rear wheel, may be awhile as I source a tire and a few more small bits. I'll let you know.

PHeller said:
Louie could you forward me that seat info as well?

Seat guy is mac32756 on eBay, email: mac32756@yahoo.com. Tell him Crush sent you and maybe I'll get a freebie someday eh?

I'm not happy with the job I did securing the seat cover: I stretched it around the pan and used rivets, which would have been fine had I not also used some spray adhesive. Even though I only used it on the perimeter of the bottom, it still screwed me up: Aaaarg! Once you start putting it on with that snot you have no adjustability.

DSC01134.jpg

OK, so every time I looked at my bike I saw the crappy job I did on the seat. It bugged me all day at work today. I stopped by the fabric store on my way home and picked up some 1/4" open cell foam, cut a strip 1.5" wide, drilled the rivets out, peeled the cover off and adhesive sprayed it to the perimeter of my camping pad foam. I replaced the cover with new rivets/ rivet holes and viola: a bajillion percent improvement. I think I'll be able to sleep now!

DSC01135.jpg

DSC01136.jpg

DSC01137.jpg

DSC01138.jpg

DSC01140.jpg

DSC01141.jpg

DSC01142.jpg

DSC01143.jpg

Yes I think it needs to be raised up a bit, I have the preload adjusted all the way up, but I think I'll need to get taller shocks. I have an 18" rear wheel that I will be putting on as well (16" on there now.) I believe the earlier xs400 standard models have taller shocks, so I'm on the lookout for those. Thanks for the feedback, Cheers!

Bit-o-progress:

Before:

DSC01207.jpg

Driveway Shenanigans:

DSC01232.jpg

After:

DSC01243.jpg

Got my jets and Air Cleaners from Mikesxs:

DSC01246.jpg
v

Back
Top Bottom