I joined a new club- *getting caught up*

loudest143

Insert sense of humor here---->
Well, there's lots of new threads around here, and I'm still lurking off in the dark recesses of this site. I thought I would share some updated information, regarding my accident last June. Just offering up my observations and experiences from post accident to now. This is mostly so you can see what's involved in getting into a motorcycle accident...... Here goes...

Cliff notes on the accident: Car pulled out in front of me turning left, I hit is right rear quarter panel doing approx 45mph, bike went down, I went to hospital. Severe impact trauma to 3 sides of the right knee, lacerations to right knee cap, dermal abrasions to right arm- mid forearm to shoulder, right foot bruised. (Here's the amazing part) No broken bones, no torn ligaments, no concussion. (SEE?? I WAS WEARING MY HELMET, WHY AREN'T YOU??)

It's April now. 10 months post accident. I had surgery to remove road debris from my knee. It will have permanent scar tissue around the knee cap, scarring, and the knee cap itself is pretty battered. I do NOT walk with a limp, as I did all of my physical therapy, but it IS uncomfortable to kneel down for longer than 10 minutes on my right knee. The severe cold lets me know I have a bum knee now. I have some skin discoloration on my right forearm that will disappear with time. I will see how the sun treats it this spring and summer. I'm guessing it will burn more easily, at least for a while.

Here's the big part. The driver was 100% at fault, and I have a personal injury attorney handling my legals. I have STILL not settled. Yes, the bike was totalled, and it and all of my gear was paid for by the insurance company. But the big dollar figures of my healthcare are still being sorted out. My medical bills are at this time over 30,000 dollars. That's NOT a typo. 30K. My settlement will pay for the medical, and allow me to have a small amount left over. Fortunately for me, I have awesome insurance coverage, and a boss who was very compasssionate when I had to take time off work for my medical appointments.

I'm simply sharing these details with my pals here at DTT for one simple reason. WEAR YOUR GEAR. It saved me from losing all the skin on both of my hands, and my boots prevented my foot being broken under the bike. My helmet had scuff marks all around, as I rolled on the asphalt for 25 feet before rolling on my own into the grass.

Think about the facts listed above the next time you balk on putting on your gear. I'm fortunate to be able to share this story with you..... Ride safe, my brothers and sisters. Peace.

Good to hear you are doing better. I am glad you shared the story, I went down completely on my own and suffered similar injuries, thank God for really really good insurance, but it was a tough road to recovery and I lost a great sports scholarship because of it.

I grew up riding MX and pretty much spent every year in a cast of some sort, but it wasn't until i rode on the street that I ever walked away thinking I could have just died...

This brings me to my next point, I hear guys here on the board talking about wearing their vintage 40yr old helmets and how it doesn't matter cause they are just around town and never go more than 50... This is a little more proof about the injuries that can be had even with full, modern gear.

I know the appeal to riding with just a flannel and a three quarter lid, sometimes I have been guilty of this on a few occasions, but stories like this make you think twice. I really hope we do not loose a brother on here to a stupid thing like trying to look bad ass with their 40yr old helmet... if nothing else, go get a DOT approved bell or rockhard. aight, rant over

Wow, I remember your post. Hard to believe it was 10 months ago. Glad you're healing up and sorry there are lasting effects. I had back surgery two years ago from an off road excursion on my gixxer several years earlier. The pain had gotten so severe that four days prior to surgery, I could no longer walk. Yes, thank God for modern gear and good insurance coverage. During my early years of street riding, I was guilty of wearing only a helmet (including shorts and vans!). At least it was full face and purchased new as have all my lids been to date.

Back
Top Bottom