project DLH cm450 got some new goodies

jpapazit

2011-04-11_191644.jpg

2011-04-11_191622.jpg

Heres where the Down Low Ho is at. I got her sunday for $250. and started strippin her down. Plans are a 4 inch strech on the swingarm, remove all the stamped steel and weld on a loop for the seat pan and weld in a gusset to mount the top of the shock on. Then a set of hawk forks which are about 2 inches shorter. As of right now its gonna be flat blacked/satin/matte combination. I want it dirty. not going to smooth the tank as of now. Im looking at lights and guages now to see what will go with the bike. Im not really sure what to do about the wiring because we have to have blinkers here in MA. I guess Im gonna end up cutting the harness up and leaving the vitals, im sure that theres a lot to lose in there.
marcw and project sh!tbox have obviousely been an inspiration, thanks man.

Re: project DLH cm450

really needs a lot of attention. Im building the 450 quick and dirty so I can take my time with that. I tend to get impatient so Im gonna intentionally rush through one to get to the other.
as for the 450 i picked up the tubing for the swingarm at the local race shop today and it .might get welded tomorrow if all goes well.

Re: project DLH cm450

2011-04-16_143442.jpg

2011-04-16_143525.jpg

2011-04-16_141757.jpg

put a little stretch on the swingarm. should have gone a little more I think. cleaned up some wiring. ordered a bates style headlight. i left the left handlebar controls intact but did away with the right so the starter button will be near the key above the chain under the seat.

2011-04-19_201640.jpg

2011-04-19_201545-1.jpg

Anyone ever take apart one of these speedos? its all plastic on the side so its not like i can cut the band. Im worried that if I cut the plastic I wont be able to get it all without damaging the chrome.

Why did you stretch your swinger at the front as opposed to the rear? Did you slug it first? Did you use a jig? You can lower those forks yourself. You make spacers for the damper rod and the forks will be made shorter. I did it on my wifes 500t

The swingarnm is stretched in the front because the frame limits travel due to the width of the swingarm, by stretching the front it moves the wider part farther back so you get more travel. make sense? not sure I explained it well. It is slugged and welded by a union pipefitter (my neighbor) with a miller mig. I didnt use a jig tho next time I will, its straight enough for the bolt to slide through easily. the tubing is welded seam from a race shop and the slug was as long as I could make it. As for the forks I have the hawk forks and the seals are good on them, unlike the cm forks. how does your wife like the 500t?
thanks for the interest

Y29udGVudDovL21lZGlhL2V4dGVybmFsL2ltYWdlcy9tZWRpYS80NDc.jpg

Y29udGVudDovL21lZGlhL2V4dGVybmFsL2ltYWdlcy9tZWRpYS80NTM.jpg

Y29udGVudDovL21lZGlhL2V4dGVybmFsL2ltYWdlcy9tZWRpYS80NDk-1.jpg

starting to come together, I am real happy with the look. im gonna change the rear tire as soon as it stops raining.

Re: project DLH cm450 comin together

Y29udGVudDovL21lZGlhL2V4dGVybmFsL2ltYWdlcy9tZWRpYS80NDM.jpg

Y29udGVudDovL21lZGlhL2V4dGVybmFsL2ltYWdlcy9tZWRpYS80NTA.jpg

couple more, let me know what you think. Its not as ambitious as a lot of the builds on here but its my first bobber attempt, and im really looking for an xs project that someone doesnt want a million dollars for.

I'd probably add a fender to finish off that rear end. I'd probably also look at ways of cleaning up some of the brackets, as my eyes are drawn to the footpeg area of the bike.

xs650_01_001.jpg

thanks guys, been a little slow here but I did a little more cutting, now I just have to weld on a loop for the seat pan and the gussets for the seat are going to double as the top mount for the shocks. then its lights, more wiring hiding, and tires. Heres what it looks like now.
Y29udGVudDovL21lZGlhL2V4dGVybmFsL2ltYWdlcy9tZWRpYS81MDY.jpg

more progress. shocks are a bit soft. would be fine if i were 75 lbs less. thinking about buying some air shocks to stiffen it up.
100_0128.jpg

100_0130.jpg

100_0127.jpg

thanks a lot Bacon, I think it looks pretty F'n rad too. Id like to hear from someone that has used those shocks. Im afraid because they dont give a weight spec for the springs. they look like they are a hell of a lot better than the originals tho. It looks like my other option is to move the lower mounts forward and go with rebel shocks, which will kill that sweet angle Ive got goin.

hey need some help on your build as im building mine cm400 i need some info :

1. how many inches did you lengthen the swing arm?
2. did you reuse the original mount point for shocks or fabricated your own if you did fabricated please show how did you do it?
3. how did you made the shocks stiffer? by turning the adjuster and raising the height making spring more stiffer?
4. when you were stretching the swing arm i didn't understood the "slugged" part how did you do that?
5. and the last how did you do the long chain ? and how many joints ?

BTW is lengthening swing arm is safe with the shock at that angle? as im planning bringing the swing arm to professional welding shop for welding as im using mig welding and would like to be 100% confident i did it right :)

i really like your work great looking bike hope to hear from you.

oh, one more thing are planning on doing front fork rake? as i'm thinking cut the frame not till the end and bend the desired angle then weld custom plates of thick metal from both sides to give it a streght or its not worse bike would look too long ? :)

Back
Top Bottom