Edit: Well as you can see I had Tim break up this build thread. I made the mistake of continuing the new thread with the old BTC thread. It was just getting out of hand and besides I think the bike is a whole entity of its own now... Hope this makes it easier for those following along
thanks for the props fellas
Think its time to get you all up to speed. After some sleepless nights and hours spent in the garage staring this thing down I've come to a decision to make a slight change.
I don't want this bike to be a salt flats racer. I've realized that I dont want a bike that only looks like a salts flat racer.... I want it to be the real deal especially when it comes to a bike as specialized as a salt flat racer. If I had my choice I'd change quite a few things including the base bike. The 360 would not be my first choice of base. A 400 4 or maybe even a cb 750 or maybe even a two smoke of some sort. Anyhow, I just feel like while the bike looks cool as hell it would be just pretending. I just wouldn't feel right riding a pretend salt flats racer around. Maybe has something to do with the fact that the bike should be chasing LSRs. I don't know and not sure if I can explain it.
On the other hand I'm ok with bikes inspired by visions of the past such as boardtrack racers and such. Its just the salt flats bike I'm having issues with. Anyhow, I still want to build a bike to take out there. In the future I want to get up to speed on rules and such. Look at the records and build something more suited to the task.
Anyhow, I spoke with Crescent and he totally understands. I think I felt the worst for him after he put so much work into the mock ups. Hopefully in the future I can put the mock ups to good use. Also felt bad for Kiley and Doug. We spent a good amount of time and effort on the tanks. They understand as well.
The frame is mostly welded but will be finished once its all stripped down. Its slugged and rossett welded at the joints. Surprisingly it is super ridged. Jason came over and we took her off the stand. Both of us jumped up and down on it and nothing moved at all. I still may be looking at a small brace around the tire area but well see.
Tossed the old seat on for mock up. I won't be using it in this state. Plan is to add a leaf spring from an old trailer change the cover to worn brown leather. I may end up looking for an old brooks bicycle saddle with the springs. The tank is getting more work as well.
Sometimes slight changes can make a big difference. Or maybe I'm letting my anal retentive side show through, haha.
I had the brake lever mount welded to the bottom of the frame and I quickly realized that the lever covered the frame right at right at the bend. It changed the way it looked (check the photo above). When you can't see the complete lines of the frame it really changes the feel of the bike. I want the frame to be one of the most important visual pieces. Anyhow, the location made the linkage hang way below the frame as well. I cut it back off and it will be re-located to the top of the tubing which allows the brake lever to sit higher and the linkage will be closer to the height of the bottom rail (you can see the difference in the linkage in both pics as well).
new location of the brake lever. Only mock up. still need to work out final details and weld it up. The tank duct taped back together. She looks a bit puggy here. The reason its getting more knife:
Having the same issue of covering parts of the frame with the exhaust. Both won't fit on one side. So I've decided to build an exhaust from scratch. Since Kiley has a new exhaust for the 750 I don't feel so bad stealing its exhaust. I have all kinds of bends and straights from it. Anyhow, an exhaust down each side something like this:
Started on the tank. This is the place where the salt flats bike came from. I had been looking for a tank more suited to the lines of the bike. One thing led to another and now were back here again
Decided if the whizzer had a stretch it would suit the need
This was my first time to ever weld metal this thin. The piece I added is 23g and the tank seemed a shade thinner. It's also one of the first times to use a mig. No gas yet so it flux core. I've only ever welded with a stick welder. Wish I'd bought a mig years ago.
I made the tunnel much much deeper. The original tank set very high on the frame. I still need to split a piece of pipe to use as the upper part of the tunnel and add sheeting for the rest of the tunnel. then stretch the bottom half, cut out the old tunnel and weld it up.
Still a ton to do.