When I turn the throttle forward it stalls the motor??

Dick

Been Around the Block
Hey guys, I recently took it upon myself to pull off my carbs and clean them after many people telling me how easy it was. And I have to admit...not nearly as bad as I thought! After many youtube videos I gave it a try.

Well the first time through sucked because I had 3 gas leaks, but this time through I only have one. :-\
I'm waiting on another new ring to fix that though.

My main problem, besides it not running well now, is that when I twist the grip forward, it stalls out the engine. I've come to find out that's how I ride now too. I seem to always put weight forward on the grip when I stop the bike. I think it's a habit from all the dirt bike riding. ANYWAY, I can't seem to figure out which cable needs to do what in order to stop this? I loosen one, tighten the other, rinse repeat. Any tips? You can give?

Just to clarify... you're twisting the grip forward rather then letting the return spring do the work?

Sounds like your throttle cable is too tight or the internal stop, well isn't stopping.

i would think you would have to adjust idle screws..twisting throttle forward it should stop wherever the idle stops are set..sounds like throttle isnt returning properly when u let off and when u twist forward it actually closes the butterfly to much so that it wont idle and kills the bike

Sonreir said:
Just to clarify... you're twisting the grip forward rather then letting the return spring do the work?
Technically, yes sir. Such as coming to a stop I roll off the grip then tend to put my weight on it at full stop which seems to twist it about a quarter inch more forward.

So if I actually just let my hand off the throttle it will snap back just fine....but there's some sort of quarter inch play going forward for some reason. And it acts opposite of "giving it gas"!

MOTOTECNICA said:
Or maybe you attached the return cable to the choke instead?
While i wouldn't put this past me for a second, I don't believe that's the case. lol. Though...I do need to replace my choke cable because the connector at the lever side snapped. The cable still moves freely....but just barely enough get the butterflies closed.

Well one options is to remove the return cable entirely and trust the return spring to do its job.

I would suggest that your pull and return cables are out of adjustment a tad.

If you loosen the adjustment of the return cable and tighten the adjustment of the pull cable you will effectively move the correlation between the carbs and the twist grip toward the hard stop of the twist grip. Ideally when the twist grip is on its hard stop there should be just a smidge of play in both cables so that the idle screws and synch linkages in the carbs are not influenced by the twist grip.

My guess is that your current configuration is pulling on the spring loaded synch linkage between the carbs and shutting at least one of them down past the idle hard stop.

While you are in there, lube those cables up well as well as the twist grip and make sure that the cables are run cleanly and turning the handlebars does not influence the throttle.

Cheers!
-Bozz

I took the push cable off or rather it was off when I bought the bike but the spring closes the throttle fine.

Bozz said:
Well one options is to remove the return cable entirely and trust the return spring to do its job.

Cheers!
-Bozz
Ok this is a great suggestion by you and Skate! My only question is....which one is the push and which one is the pull? I swear I starred at that damn wheel for like an hour while slowly twisting and trying to figure out which one was which. lol

Sonreir said:
Disconnect one of them and find out. If you pull the wrong one, the throttle won't work.
Hahaha, I actually thought about that right after I posted. I was like "well....you got a 50\50 chance of getting it right". Or WRONG in my case.

Usually the pull cable is the one that exits the twist grip closest to the front wheel, and the return cable is the one closest to the motor.

If you look at them at the carbs it is easier to understand.

The pull cable gets shorter at the carb as you open the throttle, the return cable gets shorter as you close the throttle.

It may be easier to disconnect the return cable at the carb.

While many bikes only have 1 cable to begin with, it is important to note that the return cable is theoretically a safety feature design to prevent a "stuck throttle".

Disconnecting the return cable is a great way to test the theory, but correctly adjusting both cables is (at least statistically) the better option.

In any event it is your bike, and your decision.

Cheers,
-Bozz

SWEET! Thanks for the advice guys. I'll give this a go and let you know how it turns out. I'm sure I can find someway to adjust both correctly....or pay someone too. :-\

Sounds like the idle adjustment screw between the carbs is loose and not stopping the butterflies from closing when you twist the throttle back.

I'd check that first as it's a pretty simple fix. Also make sure you have some slack in each cable.

hillsy said:
Sounds like the idle adjustment screw between the carbs is loose and not stopping the butterflies from closing when you twist the throttle back.
Do you mean it needs to be screwed in farther or that the actual screws placement needs to be adjusted?

The idle adjustment screw is an adjustable hard stop that the cable linkage pulley should rest against at idle. This is at the carb, and the throttle linkage pulley is what the throttle cables attach to.

Effectively we are all talking about the exact same thing.

Something is out of adjustment between the twist grip, both cables and the cable linkage at the carbs.

When the system is adjusted correctly, your symptom shouldn't be able to happen.

The return spring at the carbs should pull the pulley back against the idle adjustment screw, and when it is against the stops there should be a little play in both cables and the twist grip should also be against its internal stop.

Ugh, it sucks that I can't get these things adjusted right and am going to have to take it to a mechanic! Thanks to you guys I get how this all works now...but just can't seem to get the screws turned just right to make it work. I suck. :'(

some body order this guy a wahhhmbulance J/K :'( Danger dick where do you live i live in Brea ?

Back
Top Bottom