www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: ** PICS OF MEMBERS RIDES ** - Official Before & After Thread  (Read 551999 times)

Offline grandpaul

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Author, "Old Bikes"
    • Born Again Bikes
Re: ** PICS OF MEMBERS RIDES ** - Official Before & After Thread
« Reply #1660 on: Jul 08, 2017, 12:10:36 »
Two notes on this thread:

1. KickthePhotoBucket has always been on my "crap" list.

2. Just realized I've never posted in this thread...

Here's a starter- this is a totally original, low mileage 1975 Norton 850 Commando High Rider MkIII factory built "custom" that I picked up on the afternoon that Katrina hit Houston, as part of a commissioned cafe racer build with "carte blanche" from my first paying client. He had certain specifications, and left the rest to me. He wanted an alloy gas tank (that came a month after delivery of the bike as pictured with my black Interstate tank), bum-stop seat, CNW front brake, fork brace, adjustable clip-ons, rearset pegs, tiny turn signals (with alloy bodies), and everything alloy on the bike polished to mirror finish. First thing I did when I completed it was take it out Highway 59 and topped the ton, then held it there for several minutes. At some point, I hammered the throttle and it gave me the assurance that it is capable of at least 125.

BEFORE

AFTER

Interesting tidbit: I sold the seat, sissy bar and ape hangar bars for $1,000 to a dude from Sweden. Sold the tiny tank for $500.
It ain't braggin' if ya done it.

Offline CrabsAndCylinders

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Careful With That Axe Eugene
« Reply #1661 on: Jul 08, 2017, 13:16:54 »
Nice transformation.  The High Rider was probably the dumbest thing Norton ever did.
Lighter, Quicker, Faster.
ZX-14, 900F x 2, 1100F, R100, CBR600, SR500, GT500, RZ350, KZ1000 x 2, Moto Guzzi Lemans lll, CBX550, RD 350, 750 SOHC police special, RG250, TL1000R, GT750, KTM Super Duke 1290 R, Harris/Z-1, Norton 750 Commando, Green 77 KZ650

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #1662 on: Jul 10, 2017, 14:13:19 »
Before:

After minus the seat which is now mounted:

The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline grandpaul

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Author, "Old Bikes"
    • Born Again Bikes
« Reply #1663 on: Jul 10, 2017, 16:54:24 »
1968 BSA A65 Lightning salvage build, sold to a CA buyer on a limited budget. Sparx electronic ignition, Clubman Racing seat. Nothing fancy, but it does the ton! Got this in a lot buy of 7 classic Britbike projects and a pickup truck load of parts.

« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2017, 16:57:36 by grandpaul »

Offline grandpaul

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Author, "Old Bikes"
    • Born Again Bikes
« Reply #1664 on: Jul 11, 2017, 12:10:33 »
Scratch-built 1974 Norton 850 Commando monoshock cafe racer

This is the pile of leftover parts that I started from, although I only ended up using the chassis parts, and a few other bits...

I designed and built my own monoshock swingarm working with 2 standard swingarms, used a ZX9 inverted front end, Kenny Dreer VR880 front hub, VR seat/tail, MkIII rear hub & disc brake, .040 over pistons & rings, Megacycle 560-00 cam with radiused lifters, Sparx ignition, alternator, and regluator/rectifier, hand-wired the bike with each circuit individually fused, alloy tank cost an arm and a leg, Buchanan's did the excel shouldered wheels & stainless spokes, Thomaselli clip-ons, and lots more that I've fogotten off the top of my head. Anyway, it's the only Commando I could loft the front wheel with, throttle only.

"Made in England, Born Again in Texas"

Do the ton? Oh yeah!
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2017, 15:27:55 by grandpaul »

Offline Tune-A-Fishİ

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • BOTM LOSER Proudly Deplorable
« Reply #1665 on: Jul 11, 2017, 12:30:05 »
Scratch-built 1974 Norton 850 Commando monoshock cafe racer

This is the pile of leftover parts that I started from, although I only ended up using the chassis parts, and a few other bits...

I designed and built my own monoshock swingarm working with 2 standard swingarms, used a ZX9 inverted front end, Kenny Dreer VR880 front hub, VR seat/tail, MkIII rear hub & disc brake, .040 over pistons & rings, Megacycle 560-00 cam with radiused lifters, Sparx ignition, alternator, and regluator/rectifier, hand-wired the bike with each circuit individually fused, alloy tank cost an arm and a leg, Buchanan's did the excel shouldered wheels & stainless spokes, Thomaselli clip-ons, and lots more that I've fogotten off the top of my head. Anyway, it's the only Commando I could loft the front wheel with, throttle only.

Do the ton? Oh yeah!

Classy ride.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
"I didn't come here and I ain't leavin"  Willie Nelson

"love hard, live fast, die fun" Kacey Musgraves

"Like a Wreckin Ball!" Eric Church

Offline grandpaul

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Author, "Old Bikes"
    • Born Again Bikes
« Reply #1666 on: Jul 12, 2017, 11:17:41 »
1970 Norton 750 Commando chopper rescue.

No words needed.

BEFORE

AFTER
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2017, 12:00:47 by grandpaul »

Offline grandpaul

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Author, "Old Bikes"
    • Born Again Bikes
« Reply #1667 on: Jul 13, 2017, 10:57:24 »
This was a better-than-typical starting point, I bought this unfinished rolling project from a friend in Macon, GA. Leo Goff of Memphis Motor Werks had done the engine build, my friend Ed had assembled it to a roller with a nice Norvil fully floating front brake.

I sourced some bodywork from ebay and Clubman Racing, installed an ARD mini magneto, new Amal concentric carbs, and had my painter spray the black Imron. The bike is a serious beast, doing the ton goes without saying; just a twist of the wrist.

Yes, the Dunstall long-range gas tank & dual seat are an acquired taste; classic.

It's for sale, although there is a "possible" buyer that keeps saying he's going to send me a significant deposit (going on 2 months)
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2017, 10:58:55 by grandpaul »

Offline grandpaul

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Author, "Old Bikes"
    • Born Again Bikes
« Reply #1668 on: Jul 14, 2017, 12:07:10 »
This is my AHRMA Novice Historic Production Heavyweight roadracer made from 66/67/68/69/70 Triumph Bonneville parts. I scratch built it from stuff I've had around my garage/shop, some for almost 20 years. I obtained my racing license on it, on my 50th birthday, then treated myself to the adventure of a lifetime racing 2 events (4 races) in 2007, 13 races in 2008 (half the available races) including finishing 5th in the championship against 21 other riders on much faster bikes, and a record-setting run on the Bonneville Salt Flats, and 4 races in 2010 (including a podium finish). It is BONE STOCK, apart from the electronic ignition.

BEFORE

AFTER

Do the Ton? YES.

Offline coyote13

« Reply #1669 on: Jul 14, 2017, 12:15:15 »
Keep em coming Paul!
Half the fun's in the get there...