www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: ** PICS OF MEMBERS RIDES ** - Official Before & After Thread  (Read 552613 times)

Offline grandpaul

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Author, "Old Bikes"
    • Born Again Bikes
Re: ** PICS OF MEMBERS RIDES ** - Official Before & After Thread
« Reply #1730 on: Sep 27, 2018, 10:17:13 »
I did it myself.  It needed new rods, so I took it apart, reassembled, trued, and had a coworker tig it for me.  The cam I rephased myself as well.  I did it for the sound and to see if I could.
I'd sure love to see photos and read a write-up on THAT project!
It ain't braggin' if ya done it.

Online Rat_ranger

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #1731 on: Sep 27, 2018, 11:01:26 »
Lol, I cheated on the cam.  I was programming and running a mill/turn when I did it.  So I programmed it to drill two 3 hole patterns 41.54* apart and then part right in the center.  That let me use 3 1/4" dowels to align everything and the press fit of the sprocket holds it together.

The crank I tore apart and rebuilt according to the manual, just I cut a new notch for the sprocket and pressed the right side on advanced 3 splines.

I didn't get any pics of the crank in process since others have done write ups.
Xs650

Offline grandpaul

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Author, "Old Bikes"
    • Born Again Bikes
« Reply #1732 on: Sep 28, 2018, 10:47:11 »
To me, that's VERY interesting.

I like to see the whirly bits chucked up in the lathe/mill, being sliced and diced. I came very late to the game when a new-found friend who is a custom knifemaker opened his shop to me. He also builds amazing custom belt grinders, and has a selection of 5 different models that each do a very specific job, 2 of which are extremely adjustable. Add to that a large lathe that can accommodate rifle barrel building, no less than 3 full-size mills including an antique Bridgeport, two band saws, and both mig & tig welders, and it's a like a slice of heaven. (oh, yes, excellent lighting AND air conditioning)...
It ain't braggin' if ya done it.

Offline DanielK

« Reply #1733 on: Sep 29, 2018, 14:56:35 »
My CB650 -80

Before

After

Sent from my iPhone with Tapatalk
--Daniel
CB650 -80

Online Rat_ranger

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #1734 on: Oct 03, 2018, 22:42:17 »
To me, that's VERY interesting.

I like to see the whirly bits chucked up in the lathe/mill, being sliced and diced. I came very late to the game when a new-found friend who is a custom knifemaker opened his shop to me. He also builds amazing custom belt grinders, and has a selection of 5 different models that each do a very specific job, 2 of which are extremely adjustable. Add to that a large lathe that can accommodate rifle barrel building, no less than 3 full-size mills including an antique Bridgeport, two band saws, and both mig & tig welders, and it's a like a slice of heaven. (oh, yes, excellent lighting AND air conditioning)...

Ah the joys of a smaller shop.  The last place I worked at there was no heat in the winter and no fans in the summer.  But I got to learn how to program, set up and run a dual spindle live tool lathe.  Most of the parts for my bike were made on an old Induma mill and a 1940s Atlas lathe.  Only parts I cheated and used the CNC on were the cam and velocity stacks. Things worked out well for me as I had wanted a mill and lathe for years, and when it was time to leave the army I went straight into school for machining.  I'm lucky in that one thing I really wanted to learn pays the bills and is still fun.
Xs650

Offline steveinwa

« Reply #1735 on: Oct 30, 2018, 23:47:31 »
After 2 years finally got it just about done but going to re-do the wire harness, the turn signals keep f'n up and just setting up on/off switch, start button and turn signal on tank console.
“He was old and wise, which meant tired and disappointed...”
― T.E. Lawrence
Bikes, Boats and Cars in Anacortes, WA
1999 V Star 650 $500
1980 KZ550 $475
2007 Yamaha Virago 250 $600 1,500 miles
2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000R Wrecked
2005 Kawasaki 125 bought $500 sold $1,200