CB350 spark advance/points (not starting up)

GRHebard

Been Around the Block
ok, so i've got my engine back in my CB350, i made sure the cam gear was inline with the generator rotor at LT, then i set the rocker gap to .002" IN and .004" EX. i put the spark advance and the points on there. but i accidentally took the spark advancer apart when i was pulling it off the bike, i pulled the breaker cam off. when i put it back on the bike i tried putting it on both ways, but i couldnt figure it out. i think i might have messed it up...

i checked and i have spark when i kick it, but i think the timing is way off. every few kicks i get a big pop! and a fireball out of the right exhaust pipe (maybe both, but i noticed for sure the right one)

can someone take a picture of their spark advance? i want to see if ive got it together wrong.

if anyone has any other advice, im all ears

thanks
Greg

When you timed the cam gear to the LT mark was the cam positioned with the pin up. Thats the pin located on the end of the cam shaft behind the cam advancer mechanism. That pin locks the cam advancer in the right position and should be straight up when timing the cam, cam gear and the LT mark all together. :-\

I remember this from my bike. I took it apart and found out there was 2 ways to put it back together. One was the right way and one was the wrong way. I don't remember the specifics because it was such a long time ago, but put it together the other way (180 degrees?) and see what happens. (I was told if it's on the wrong way, it will backfire.)

i noticed that it goes back together two ways, ill try the other way tomorrow. i think it might have bent or broken some part of the advancer, so i might have to get a whole new one. ill keep trying tho!

thanks for the tips guys

On the advancers, the base that has the springs will have a rotational arrow. The rotor (the part that comes off) will have a tiny hash mark on the front of it. Make sure the hash mark is installed pointing toward the arrow on the base. That's the correct way. It certainly won't spark if its installed backwards.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

thanks everybody! sure enough i was putting it on wrong.

but now it seems to be running hot...
im nervous that maybe an oil passage in clogged up? i just resolved a "metal in the oil" issue also, the cam chain tensioner wasnt setup correctly. so i hope some of the oil passages werent clogged up or something. my other idea is that it could be the timing... but it seems to be running so well

GLENNWOOD55CAMEO said:
When you timed the cam gear to the LT mark was the cam positioned with the pin up. Thats the pin located on the end of the cam shaft behind the cam advancer mechanism. That pin locks the cam advancer in the right position and should be straight up when timing the cam, cam gear and the LT mark all together. :-\

I just joined after searching the web for this info! Thanks to you guys that are helping us with this. Another question to add: Does anyone know the specific size of the spark advance bolt? After toying with my timing for quite a while now (6+ weeks) I JUST noticed the bolt was missing. It was not there when I bought the bike ('72 CB350 twin (K4)). I want to replace the bolt with any that will fit but cant find its dimensions anywhere online.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom